Stormcast in Escalation

Cold_fury1872

Hey everyone! In the new year I am running an escalation campaign league, beginning at 500 points, and ending at 3000, and am curious how well a Stormcast army will work in the format?

Firstly, how do they play at smaller points games? (500-1000) I'm not overly worried about winning, but I at least want to be competitive. Then as the army expands, we do play  to in a competition, so id like to have something solid.

What the best way to start? Is one of the SC boxes a good way to go, or would Soulwars be a better option?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 8:42 PM, Cold_fury1872 said:

Hey everyone! In the new year I am running an escalation campaign league, beginning at 500 points, and ending at 3000, and am curious how well a Stormcast army will work in the format?

Firstly, how do they play at smaller points games? (500-1000) I'm not overly worried about winning, but I at least want to be competitive. Then as the army expands, we do play  to in a competition, so id like to have something solid.

What the best way to start? Is one of the SC boxes a good way to go, or would Soulwars be a better option?

Late to the party on this but thought I would share my learnings as I'm right in the middle of an escalation campaign myself as SCE (750 points - 2000 points).

Been running a Soul Wars based army as that's what I have access to as a new player and the opening two games were a bloodbath for my guys.

As @Freejack02 said, the low model count is a real killer because each troop you lose really hurts. The opening two games were played on a 4ft x 4ft table with objectives requiring to be held so I just couldn't physically get enough bodies to the right spots to obtain the victory points necessary to be competitive.

I'm hopeful that with some adjustments I can make a decent go of it in my 1250 game, i'm trying to get my Sequitors up into 10-man teams (instead of 5-man ones) and adding some Evocators and additional Ballista to assist with objective holding. 

If you like the look of the Soul Wars figs then I'd recommend looking at Soul Wars and Tempest of Souls - split it with a buddy who wants Nighthaunt. eBay is also an awesome source of minis at the moment because lots of those boxed sets are being split up and sold in parts. Makes it easy to top up blocks of troops.  

Archived