Coming Back

dmorley21

Hello everybody.

I joined this community recently, and have posted a couple of times, and figured I ought to do a post here as an official introduction.

I started playing WHFB right when 6th Edition came out (whenever that was). I was somewhere around 13. It all happened because my buddy's grandparents walked into a Games Workshop in a mall and bought him a bunch of stuff. He chose Orcs & Goblins while I chose Lizardmen. I quickly abandoned the Lizardmen though as they simply weren't supported at the time and Vampire Counts was just coming out. I started collecting VC (Blood Dragon and then Strigoi bloodlines). My cousins got into it as well and collected the newly released factions at the time (High Elves and Dark Elves). We mainly only played against each other, though we did travel to one Chicago Game Day (I think that was what it was called) and I my Strigoi VC ran laid waste to all opponents that I found. I was even photographed in a White Dwarf magazine! (At the time, I cut out my photo in the magazine... a regret now as I have no idea what issue it was).

Eventually, my buddy and I decided to start second armies. He went Skaven and wishing to see what shooting was all about, I went with Dwarfs. At one point, I gave my VC to a third cousin to get him into the hobby and bought a couple Wood Elf units as I wanted to see what movement was all about.

We eventually grew apart with college and what not, but I still get together with my cousins a couple times a year and we've been playing a homebrew version of 8th Edition. Now, we're interested in giving Age of Sigmar a try.

I've noticed that my Dwarf units have been split up and it seems some are permanently removed from match play (I had a large collection of Slayers and some Miners). Seeing as how it looks unlikely that Dispossessed or Ironweld Arsenal will ever get an update, I've decided to try a new faction.

Currently, I'm leaning toward Sylvaneth as the Ironbark Wargrove would allow me to use some of my current Dwarf units.

One question I have is about forming units. This mandatory unit size instead of pts per model is throwing me off. In the GHB there is a points total for 10 or 30 Ironbreakers. Does that mean I can't take a unit of 20? Thanks!

Welcome back to the hobby! And glad you’re leaning towards Sylvaneth, it’s a really fun army that has a totally unique play style.

To answer your question - in matched play you build units in multiples the base unit size. So for Ironbreakers you get 10 for 160pts, 20 for 320pts and if you max out the unit to 30 you currently get a discount, so it’s 400pts.

Discounts for max  unit sizes is something GW introduced presumably to enable players to bring more models to the game.

53 minutes ago, ppetford said:

Welcome back to the hobby! And glad you’re leaning towards Sylvaneth, it’s a really fun army that has a totally unique play style.

To answer your question - in matched play you build units in multiples the base unit size. So for Ironbreakers you get 10 for 160pts, 20 for 320pts and if you max out the unit to 30 you currently get a discount, so it’s 400pts. 

Discounts for max  unit sizes is something GW introduced presumably to enable players to bring more models to the game.

Thanks for the answer!

Archived