New player needing help building and expanding Start Collecting: SH!

Jezbro

To start, I started this hobby about a year ago having only painted 40k (never playing) and finally decided to start AoS with plans to play my first game in the near future. I have recently bought a Start Collecting Skeleton Horde box and the LoN book. The skeletons and black knights are assembled/painted but I am yet to decide on how to build my mortarch. I really do love all 3 versions aesthetically and was wondering if anyone here could provide me with guidance on my army.

Does anyone have recommendations as to which mortarch I should build based on their fun/beginner friendly (i.e. not  many rules, versatile, forgiving) levels? My initial thoughts were Mannfred or Neferata as I enjoy the vampire theme and was most likely going to purchase some Vargheists next. My main concern with this is that I'm not sure how to expand upon this army; do I just get some dire wolves for my battle line unit and then something like a VLoZD or is that a fairly weak army? 

Essentially, I'm just wondering if anyone could help guide me in choosing a Mortarch and then expanding my SH box into a 1000 or 2000pt army without just spamming skeletons. 

You can magnetize the Mortach so you play each of them (there should be plenty of tutorials for that on youtube ^^). Of course having the 3 Mortachs with 3 different paintjobs is nicer, but for the start it is the version I'd prefer (and the one I took).

Apart from that, let's just say especially with the LoN out you have a huge variety of lists you can build. My best advice would be to look at different builds that people play on the forum and see which style suits you and then go from there. Keep in mind that you need 3 Battlelines for 2k games and that depending on which allegiance you want to play different units apply.

What imho you always want to have is at least one or two necromancers and some monsters. Look at the different boxes because you can save a lot of money (for example the FEC Box which basically has a free terrorgheist or Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon, although FEC is only valuable as allies and with 400points at 2k you are quite limieted there).

I’d truly recommend a thematic route. Do you like skeletons? Ghosts? Vampires? I for one love vampires, I have a tonne of vargheist, VLoZD, mannfred, bloodseeker palanquin etc, but now that legion of. If by can incorporate vampires alongside skeletons, I’m planning on buying a tonne of skellies. 

Think of what you want aesthetically/competitively then go for it! 

Archived