cykJ’s painting log

cykJay

Welcome to my painting log, friend! Here you will mostly see Stormcast riding horses, taking dogs for a walk or out-and-about with birds. 

Those are, of course, the contents of Blightwar and the Stormcast Battleforce. The Palladors in particular are AWESOME. Also, 2000pts for under £200, and only about 30 minis to paint (ignoring the generous amount of dogs) — what’s not to love? 

So, here I hope to keep a record of my progress painting and perhaps get some advice to help me improve. My plan is to paint in the following order:

(1) Hurricane Raptors: simplest minis and big crossbows, so I can practice the armour and the crossbows. 

(2) Vanguard Hunters: similar to (1), but smaller crossbows and additional cloaks. 

(3) Palladors: similar to (2), plus horses. 

(4) Miscellaneous: Aquilor, Neave, a flock of birds, couple of dogs. Not quite sure when I’ll be painting up these. 

Going forward, I also need to learn how to play these. I’d be really grateful for any link to a battle report with Vanguard or some other resource that illustrates how to play them.

Below are some pictures of the Hurricane Raptors. They are not entirely completed, for example the crossbows are presently attached using blu tack as they are not painted completely. Although I am not really focusing on the bases at the moment, please let me know if you have any suggestion for improving them without too much additional effort. ( My apologies for the ‘background’ being out of focus. Not my camera, so I have no idea what I am doing, but still the best camera I have access to. So I hope the pictures are ok. )

Question: I used Vallejo Liquid Gold and found that the resulting surface is so smooth that a wash forms individual droplets rather than a smooth cover. Did I do something wrong? How can I deal with this?

Question: The Raptors look too stoic and somewhat out of place when beside the Hunters. I am thinking of putting the Longstrike bows onto a set of Hunter bodies. Does anybody have experience with that? The shoulders could be tricky if I want to also use the cloaks.

The (regular) Hunters are primed and maybe, fingers crossed, I can upload more pictures next weekend. Those guys were a lot more difficult to assemble than I had anticipated. The arms, the cloaks and the items carried at their belts are hard to arrange so that it all fits nicely. 

J

E11DDA30-C8A2-45C6-A102-B5C88D1D7009.jpeg

2C68AA42-809A-458D-8920-028783A07F9E.jpeg

ACD82F4B-70D1-4859-9F18-C90848870535.jpeg

Archived