AoS night 29th June 2016

Tom Loyn

Well,

Well, well, well...well.

The dust has now settled following our first AoS night at the Croydon Conference Centre, and what an amazing night it was.  Great fun was had by all, we had 4 people down (2 tables - ONE WHOLE table more than Derby Wargamers on their first AoS night, mwaha), even the local GW store manager popped into support us.  We're planning to hold these AoS specific evenings once a month, last Wednesday of the month, if you're based in London please come down and play some Age of Sigmaaaar!!

I think a little write up of each game wouldn't go amiss.  We had Rob vs Tom in a classic Nurgle/Khorne clash on one table, with Nic playing Ben's monster mash Death army with his filthy Warriors on the other.  First up what I'm calling RAGE AGAINST THE DISEASE...probably really sad, it's a Sunday afternoon, bear with me.

RAGE AGAINST THE DISEASE

We played SCGT comp which can be found here for those interested.  Rolled up scenario 4 which basically involves capturing table quarters, end of every battle round you calculate who has the most scoring units in each. 

Rob had (disclaimer, I made up all the names 'cos Rob is too boring for that sort of thing):

Ursula the Unclean One

Epidemus

Be'lakor

Dobby the Daemon Prince (Nurgle of course)

Angus the Arch-Warlock

40 Plaguebearers (20 & 2x10)

6 Drones

Cameron the Chimera

Summoning pool:

3 Drones

6 flamers

And facing them in the Robotic Legion of Khorne:

Arnold the WRATH OF KHORNE Blood Thirster ('cos he's a robot...Terminator...and stuff...guys?)

Be'lakor (yep there's 2 of him!!)

Barry the Bloodsecrator

Boris the Bloodstoker

Winston the Wizard (Chaos Sorcerer)

Steve the Sorcerer

15 Wrathbros (3x5 in a Bloodstorm)

10 Warriors with Halberds

30 Bloodletters (one big BOMB - yep I've never played Epidemus...or Nurgle...SKILLZ)

Summoning Pool:

Khorne laughs at magic...except for chaos sorcerers 'cos they're good...oh and Be'lakor cos he's also well good.

THE GAME

IMG_4213.JPG

I'm not going to go through the whole thing blow-by-blow because that's boring, but I'll cover the highlights.  We certainly had a blast with some great moments!

I finished deploying first and took turn 1.  Sending the massive Letter bomb straight at Rob's centre...failed the charge, YAY!

IMG_4214.JPG

Suffice to say by the end of turn 2 Rob had come and killed 20 of them, Epidimus up on max tally and Arnold snared by Be'lakor (he gets to pick a unit at the beginning of the game and control it with his evil machinations - one battle round you declare and the opponent has to roll a 4+ every time they want to do pretty much anything! - he went for Arnold, I went Ursula), and the Goretide generally flailing around like a cat that's fallen in the bath.  Meanwhile the Nurgle army was quietly camping shedloads of plaguebearers in all the corners and clinically taking out all the Khorne scoring units. 

IMG_4215.JPG

So I did what any good Khorne general would do, through tactics to the winds and CHAARRRGED!  Creating some epic show downs.

EPIC MOMENT 1:  The Be'lakor duel.

Throughout the game we were joking about Be'lakor basically being The Flash and having to run from one side of the battlefield to the other, eventually we engineered him to fight!!! ...himself.  My Be'lakor charged and did an outrageous amount of damage, pinging off 6 wounds!!  Then Rob's Be'lakor attacked and did...6 wounds!  Both of us having no right to inflict that amount of damage but loving it...well I didn't since he had priority next combat round and went first killing me.  I cried great big, immune-to-rend tears.

IMG_4217.JPG

EPIC MOMENT 2:  Boris vs Epidemus

So, Boris (the Bloodstoker - you know, 'cos we all know he gets up to some kinky whipping etc with the Bullingdon Club) finally does something good for Britain.  HE KILLED EPIDEMUS.  I really should have tried to kill that guy earlier, learning curve.  But Epidemus did finally go down pretty late in the game to some good old whipping and poking from Boris.  Dobby could only stand and watch.IMG_4220.JPG

EPIC SHOWDOWN 3: Arnold vs Ursula

Yeah, so I failed to get a pic of this, but I finally managed to get an unwounded Arnold the Wrath of Khorne Thirster into Ursula the Unclean One.  Needless to say he did a shedload of damage :D

All-in-all a fantastic game against a true gentlemen (I'm sure Rob would agree ;)).  I definitely learnt what not to do against Nurgle, now to just figure out what TO do...

Next up, Ben vs Nic.  I don't have a name for this...sorry...

CHAOS VS DEATH

Nico kindly wrote up a report for this, so PSB :)

Armies

Nic used the Fatesworn Warband from the Everchosen Battletome - taking the generic (i.e. stunningly average) Slaves to Darkness units (Marauders, Marauder Cavalry, Warriors and Knights) and giving them -1 rend on all attacks, ward saves of 6+ and an arcane bolt for each hero. The other advantage of the formation is that it could be used to reduce the number of drops to 2, itself and the Changeling.

Ben tried out the new Royal Menagerie formation - 2 Terrorgheists, 1 Zombie Dragon and a Ghoul King on a Zombie Dragon. Irritatingly this requires the general to be the GKoZD, such that the command ability is a summoning one that he couldn't use. Even with 4 flappy monsters, this left space for two units of 5 Blood Knights. Dire wolves and hexwraiths were included to hold objectives.

Battleplan - SCGT - Scenario 2 - 6 Objectives - Nagash zapping stuff from turn 2

Deployment

Nic deployed 10 units all at once with a heavy concentration on his left, comprising knights with marauder cavalry and warriors backing them up. The Warshrine, Tzeentch Lord on Disk and Warshrine formed the core, while 27 marauders held the centre objective and formed a wall around the Curseling. Unfotunately a large mystical terrain piece sat in the middle of the deployment zone. A chaos spawn was on the right objective.

Nic was overly cautious with the Changling, putting it just inside Ben's half, so it couldn't be surrounded with subsequent deployments.

Ben responded in kind with all 4 flappy monsters on his right. Chaff units held his objectives and the Blood Knights held the middle and backed up the flappies.

Battleround 1

Nic gambled for the double turn and so Ben began. The GKoZD cast its reroll wounds aura spell (which is immensely strong). The Royal Menagerie formation gives the flappies a free move of 6 inches in the hero phase. This meant that both Terrorgheists were in shooting range and did some damage to the high bravery chaos units. They followed up by easily charging into the end of the unit of 9 knights. Alpha strike! This meant they were contesting the objective as well.

Ben started a habit of always rolling a 6 on his wound rolls for the jaws attack without fail - dealing 6 mortal wounds each time. Nic had two 6+ ward saves against these (from the formation and the warshrine), but only remembered the chaos runeshields in Battleround 3. 3 Knights bit the dust and their comrades inflicted some wounds back on one of the flappies.

Nic's turn began, the marauders failed the mystical terrain test, blocking themselves and locking in the Cuseling out of range of anything useful. The Warshrine failed to give the Knights rerollable armour saves. The Disk Lord got a 2 for his reroll number. The Chaos Sorceror cast daemonic power on the Knights. The Curseling cast mystic shield on the Knights. Extra arcane bolts zapped away some wounds from the Terrorgheists.

The warriors moved up to engage the left Terrorgheist. The marauder cavalry readied their -1 rend javelins and fired away - dealing heavy damage. Overconfident with this, they charged in along with the warriors (this mistake cost Nic the game). The Knights (on big oval bases) piled in, but failed to get all the models into combat (after having piled in twice). They got the right Terrorgheist down to 4 wounds remaining. Unfortunately, the other Terrorgheist attacked the marauder cavalry and wiped them out (another 6 on the wound roll for the jaws). The warriors inflicted some damage on the left Terrorgheist, then the right one swallowed 2 more Knights.

Ben held 3 objectives and contested one, so he won a point.

Battleround 2

Nic won the initiative. Nagash did little (which continued all game). Nic took the double turn. More arcane bolts whittled down the right Terrorgheist, but it clung on. The Warshrine failed to buff the Knights again. The Changeling forgot to cast a spell and was out of range for slowing purposes. This time the marauders moved forward, hoping to make a longish charge into the Blood Knights (to prevent their devastating charge buff). The Curseling got into offensive range. The Warshrine moved up to make a charge into the Terrorgheist. 

Crucially, the marauders failed their charge. The Changeling charged Ben's GKoZD and went first, knocking a mere 3 wounds off with the jaw attack. The Terrorheists killed off the Knights, before the Warshrine killed one of them. The Changeling died. 

Ben's turn - the Blood Knights wheeled left towards the marauders. The GKoZD and ZD flew onto the objective where the Knights stood previously. They did further damage with their ranged attacks. The Blood Knights charged the marauders, while the flappies attacked the Disklord and the Warshrine. The 5 Blood Knights butchered 17 marauders (with 6+, 6+ ward saves) - the remaining 10 fled. The Disklord did some decent damage to the GKoZD before dying. The Warshrine did some damage too (the rend is very nice). The warriors killed off the second Terrorgheist.

Again Ben picked up a point.

Battleround 3

Nic won the initiative and went first. The Curseling fired off two arcane bolts at the GKoZD. The Warshrine managed to buff itself and with mystic shield was on a 3+ rerollable save with a 6+ ward. The unblooded warriors on the right moved up to charge the central blood knights unit. The warriors attacked the GKoZD and killed him. The Zombie Dragon smacked away at the Warshrine. The warriors killed off 2 Blood knights and lost 2 models in return.

One Bloodknight came back to life. The Vampire Lord on steed arcane bolted the Curseling who failed to unbind it. The ZD and Blood Knights killed off the Warshrine easily. The Vampire Lord on steed chased down the Curseling. The warriors killed another two Blood Knights. The Curseling did 3 wounds to the Vampire Lord, before dying.

Battleround 4

Ben won the initiative and Nic conceded and shook hands.

Observations

• Knowledge of the alpha strike possibility would have led Nic to deploy a complete line of marauders rather than having the knights exposed at the front, or to have taken the first turn just to ensure that combat didn't take place on one of his objectives. 

• Remembering abilities is vital - derp. Now Nic does a physical shield impression to remember his runeshields.
  • The GKoZD's spell is amazing, especially in combination with the 6s cause 6 mortal wounds ability of the Terrorgheist.

• Attacking the end of a unit in a line can drastically reduce its ability to fight back - monsters and Concussors excel at this.
  • The Fatesworn Warband is useful, but lacks concentrated punch. It turns the deeply mediocre (Liberator level) Slaves to Darkness units into good and resilient combat units, but not worldbeaters. Tzeentch really need some new units with special rules; however instead they're going to get crushed by the rules of one (Fatesworn Warband losing all the bonus arcane bolts; and RIP triple Gateway) and summoning restrictions.... 
  • Nic needed to attack the Terrorgheist with the Changeling. 6 mortal wounds on it plus an arcane bolt would have been a good start.

Me again...I hope you enjoyed that report of the first AoS night at SLL.  You'll be able to find details of future nights in this forum, but it will be every last Wednesday of the month and the Croydon Conference Centre.  Hope to see you all there, let's make AoS in London EPIC :D

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_4216.JPG

Archived