Vanguard Wing and other Stormcast Eternal Movement Shenanigans

B1acKni9ht

Question

My question is in regards to the Stormcast Eternal's abilities that allow them to "teleport" in their movement phase. This includes the special abilities granted by the Vanguard Wing and Hammerstrike Force battalions. I know how these rules are being played, that with these abilities you can move stormcast into combat during the movement phase...but how? 

Here's the pertaining excerpt from the Stromstreak ability:

..."Instead of moving in the movement phase...Remove the unit from the battlefield then set it up anywhere within 5" of a unit of Presecutors from the Vanguard Wing."

Here's the rules for movement in the main rules (pg 4, Movememet Phase, Enemy models):

"When you move a model in the movement phase, you may not move within 3" of any enemy models". 

I don't see how the Stormstreak ability ignores the main rules for movement, as the Stormstreak ability identifies that it occurs during the movement phase, and is just the way those Stormcast are moving. I can understand the semantics of that they are moving differently due to the flavor text; however, I don't see how that would be any different then any player coming up with their own flavor text describing how their models are moving. I'd see that as an equally valid, albeit flawed, argument. It may be that this just needs to be addressed in the next FAQ. 

In the meantime...could someone reference where in the rules it says that these abilities ignore the rules for the Movement phase? 

Thank you! 

2 answers to this question

Such abilities are "Set-ups" aka "Placements" not "Moves", and they do not follow the rules for movement.

From the FAQ:

Q: What is ‘set-up’, exactly?

A: ‘Set-up’ is typically when a unit is placed on the table during deployment, but can also refer to a unit being deployed in a location other than on the battlefield, or being put into play once the game has started (a unit using the Stormcast Eternal Warrior Chamber’s Lightning Strike, the Chameleon Skinks’ Chameleon Ambush, or the Treelord’s Spirit Paths ability, for example). Models can set up within 3" of the enemy, even if they are set up in the movement phase, unless noted otherwise in the rules for the ability that allows them to be set up once the battle is under way.

1 hour ago, AverageBoss said:
Such abilities are "Set-ups" aka "Placements" not "Moves", and they do they do not follow the rules for movement.

From the FAQ:

Q: What is ‘set-up’, exactly?

A: ‘Set-up’ is typically when a unit is placed on the table during deployment, but can also refer to a unit being deployed in a location other than on the battlefield, or being put into play once the game has started (a unit using the Stormcast Eternal Warrior Chamber’s Lightning Strike, the Chameleon Skinks’ Chameleon Ambush, or the Treelord’s Spirit Paths ability, for example). Models can set up within 3" of the enemy, even if they are set up in the movement phase, unless noted otherwise in the rules for the ability that allows them to be set up once the battle is under way.

Thank you so very much! 

Archived