Command Traits and Artefacts

Liquidsnake420

Question

So this is kind of a multi part question. Say someone has Nurgle Allegiance, who currently have Allegiance Abilities but not Command Traits or Artefacts. Are they allowed to take the general Chaos ones? Where does it say they are able to do that? If they can, then why can a Khorne army not take a general Chaos Command Trait? From what I understood if you claiming an allegiance and unlocking their battleline/abilites then are you not also stuck with their Command Traits and Artefacts, even if that means they have none? I always see people using Nurgle, Spiderfang or Moonclan allegiance with the general traits/artefacts but I do not understand why they can, and if they can why can another army not choose to use those? 

2 answers to this question

If I'm understanding your question, it's because when you build an army with a specific allegiance, when it comes to abilities you can choose to go with that allegiance or the grand alliance. It's covered in multiple places, but last paragraph of page 77 in the GHB2017 was the first ref I found.

Last paragraph pg 77 states that you can always use the "Grand Alliance" allegiance abilities, even if your army has a more specific allegiance. This includes Khorne players using the Chaos abilities if they want to.

What you can't do is mix Battle Traits, Command Traits, and Artefacts from different allegiances — they all have to come from the same one.

But you can use "battleline if" units from a specific allegiance (as battleline) and still take the grand alliance allegiance abilities.

Archived