Starting Death.

INXVI

Hey, 

So I've decided to pick up death, as my allegiance, after a combination of amazing models, some really nice rules, and the fact I'll be the only player of them in my local areas,  persuaded me. 

However, I would like some advice on what the best route to go down is. I will probably play mixed death, but I'd like to know if the units are best to buy.

I really love hexwraiths, and the nighthaunts in general, but I'm open to hearing about any other unit within the book. So, which units are the considered usable enough to be effective in a game? I've heard the 'Mortarchs Of Negash' are really good, I'm unsure which one I would want specifically, because they all seem really good. 

What would you recommend buying first, to give me an effective starting point? (I'm a college student, so I probably have to be efficient with my money ? otherwise I wouldn't mind buying Nagash and a few boxes of Morghasts straight away).

Thanks for any advice, I hope I didn't come across too vague or anything ?

In my opinion the best first box to get would be the start collecting flesh eater courts.

remember a lot of the boxes are dual kits so you can build them 2 different ways.

with the above box you can build:

Vampire lord on zombie dragon

3 Varghiests or 3 crypt horrors

Abhorrent ghoul king on foot

10 crypt horrors

Thats 820 points right there.

add to that 20 skeletons and you will have pretty good 980 point army.

@Jgregs - Thanks for the advice mate :D I was thinking about buying that box first, I've read a bit about ghouls and they look like they can put out a lot of damage, plus adding back models and bolstering up the numbers is something I love the sound of. 

What's your opinion on Hexwraiths and spirit hosts? I love the models, and the ignoring rend too. 

Think I'll definitely have to grab some skeletons then, maybe some dire wolves for battle line, I'll still need to look around 

Hex wraiths and spirt hosts are great. a good paring is a 40 man block of skeletons with spears to take on hordes and a unit of 6 spirits hosts to dish out mortal wounds and absorb high rend attacks.

The spirit hosts are very frustrating to put together though. you will most likely ****** up the 1st one you do. they make up for it  by bieng pretty easy to paint.

@Jgregs - Haha, I can imagine by the look of their models, I'm looking forward to trying out paint schemes.

I think I'll buy the FEC box then, maybe the expansion too to get a few crypt horrors, and 30 ghouls, to get a higher model count, then buy skeletons at a later date. Then definately some spirit hosts and hexwraiths.

Archived