Tutorial and tips for magnetizing Dracothian Guard (or any other model)

twrightii

Greetings TGA!

I wanted to share some tips for magnetizing your models. I know this is something many of my group struggle with, but it doesn't have to be hard. A few careful steps and you are good to go. So lets get right into it.

First thing is first, and this is an important step it make a small mark with the tip of something sharp like an exacto knife. I am using a seam scraper from micro mark, you can find it here http://www.micromark.com/seam-scraper,7547.html. It is better at removing edges and has a great point.

IMG_1792.jpg

The reason you need to make that initial mark is that you want to get a precise point in the center of where the magnet will go. If you start just by drilling the tip of the drill will shift slightly before it bites in. This might not be a big deal, but you really want it center or the arms (or whatever else you will be magnetizing) will off center, or worse, the hole will cut through the side of the arm making the magnet visible.

IMG_1793.jpg

The next bit is easy. Drill with your smallest bit. This is basically a pilot hole. Don't worry too much about how deep, but you are looking for something a little deeper than the depth of the magnets you are using.

IMG_1794.jpg

Next you need a drill bit the same size as the magnet. My preferred magnet size for this kind of job is 1/8 diameter and 1/16th thick. As you can see I've done some amazingly complex hobby by gluing a 1/8th drill bit into a cork. Advanced tech I know, but I'm sure you can figure something out. Also notice the drill bit and magnets have the same diameter.

IMG_1795.jpg

Look at that! Since we made that initial mark nice and close to center the hole is perfectly aligned. Now the other trick to this is doing it nice and slow without a lot of pressure. You don't want to be forcing out material. If you push too hard it becomes very difficult to control the depth. It is important to make the hole just deep enough so when you press firmly on the magnet it is level with the arm. Nice and flush. Once pushed in you to test depth you can easily get the magnet out with another magnet. Do this before, again BEFORE, gluing.

IMG_1796.jpg

Next lets talk polarity. To get the most out of your magnetizing you need to make sure the polarity is consistent across all your models (heck, I could put space marine bolters on here if I wanted). I have a simple solution. What I've done is glued a magnet to the top of my magnet container. The top side is the one I alway mark with a sharpie. The marked side is the side that shows on the model. The opposite side goes up in the arm. Black out on the model, black in on the arms. Simple.

Next, use a tiny amount of glue. If you've followed my steps this far the tolerance is minimal so to much glue will just make a mess. I use the tip of glue applicator to rub it around the inside rim of the hole (that's what she said) then press in the magnet. 

IMG_1797.jpg

I will often need to use something to push the magnet in all the way. Don't use anything metal for obvious reasons. My default "tool" for this job is a piece of sprue.

IMG_1798.jpg

Next we do the same thing for the arms. In some cases the arms already have little holes and groves in them. It is just as important here to make a nice deep mark for the initial hole using the same steps as above. Once you've done this you can get a little silly/creative with what arm options you have. Like the big boltstorm crossbow thingy from the Judicator kit for example. Looks great here!

IMG_1799.jpg

So there you have it. Hope this helps you on your quest to magnetize and get the most out of your kits. Keep on hobbying!

Archived