My first step into Chaos

Furious

I've got some Chaos Dwarfs/Legion of Azgorh waiting to be painted, but they have to wait in line behind a bunch of green skins. 

I really wanted to get started on picking the colour scheme, so I did up one Infernal Guard Ironsworn:

2016-06-13 17.36.11.jpg2016-06-13 17.36.25.jpg

I'm happy with the colour choices. But it's my first time using white to any degree of significance and it turned out really weird. You might be able to see it's really clumpy. Anyone got any tips to avoid this on my next paintings? I had to do so many coats just to get it fully white - I stopped counting at five.

Otherwise, I'm super proud of the choices and execution (also, inspired by my forum avatar of choice Protoman). 

Any comments? 

Great colour scheme! Nice to see some colour on Azgorh models.

I find the secret to painting White is to actually not use much white! Use a grey tone, like celestra grey as a base coat and then use really thin coats of white to either highlight this or glaze it. 

Because white doesn't go over other colours very well the natural instinct is to put more on. It may explain the slightly lumpy finish here?

Also, don't be afraid to shade your white areas. A good idea is to get a white cloth or blanket, just some white material, and drape it over the back of a chair or hang it from a coat hangar. Look at how the colours change in the shadows etc..

natural white is very rarely as you get it straight from the paint pot.

And 2 or 3 thin layers of paint mostly result in abetted finish than one think one :)

keep up the awesome work :)

Archived