Painting worn, painted metal

Furious

Maybe a bit of a weird phrasing - so here's an image:

BO1.jpg

How does one get the effect of the scratched-off paint on metal, diegetically speaking. This guy had his armour painted red, but over many battles of use it's been scratched and worn off.

Any good suggestions or tutorials out there?

I use two methods.

1: use a brush! Sounds silly but using a brush to paint metal areas is quite simple.

Paint your model normally, blocking in all the colours fully. Then take your brush and start roughly painting the edges of armour playes in silver, you can make this as varied as you wish and can add scratches to armour in the same way. Highlighting a scratch in the middle of an armour plate makes it stand out as well. Paint the damage and then use your highlight colour underneath the scratch. Makes it pop!

2: A sponge! I use rip off as all rough piece of sponge, any type really but I use old blister pack sponge.

attach this to the other end of sprint brush and lightly dab it into your battle damage colour.

So using the above example, paint your model, and then using your sponge, lightly dab the edges of armour plates. Add as much as you like. Highlighting as above can make them really stand out.

if you google these types of method it'll give you down great tutorials.

good luck :)

Archived