Returning to painting, Stormcast colour scheme

Widdershins

Well I haven't painted anything for like twenty years (!) and I wasn't very good then either :) 

These Stormcast are my proof of concept for the colour scheme that I'm doing my preferred Vanguard models in, so any C&C would be very welcome! I've never highlighted before this so some of it didn't take too well, but that's just practice I think (and some better brushes tbh).

I'm struggling a bit on what to do with the bases. I've got some Martian Ironearth, some Vallejo Black Lava texture, and some Vallejo Desert Sand. I'm thinking the sand might be good, the scheme looks a little Roman, so it might fit with a bit of the sword and sandal theme. Thoughts?

IMG_20170902_211529772.jpg

Nice scheme, I much prefer the metallic silver Stormcast over the more traditional gold and definitely feeling the Roman aesthetic.

For line highlighting, do just take your time and you will, like anything, improve with time. One tip that I found useful was to try and paint all of my line highlights in the same direction, turning the model where possible, rather than changing the angle of the paint brush (I try to paint down). This isn't always possible, but the more you can do it, the more muscle memory you build up per session and, I've found at least, the neater you get.

My only suggestion for the scheme would be to maybe use a light blue glaze or wash over the white areas, before layering again with white, leaving the glaze visible in the recesses and around the protrusions. This will add a third primary colour to balance the red and yellow slightly and help pick out the details on the tabbard / skirt thing.

Base-wise the sand could indeed work, with possibly the odd green tuft, or mini cactus here or there to add a little dot of colour counter to the red. I think all of your base choices could work though, so maybe try them on your test models and post them here :D

Solid start, will be looking out for more! 

Archived