Removing casualties

TheAntsAreBack

Question

Hello. I have a question about removing casualties and what movement is required to fill gaps in units. Imagine for the sake of simplicity that I have a long strung-out unit with some combat going on at one end and my important standard bearer out at the other end of the line out of combat. If I need to remove casualties is it ok to remove them so as to create breaks and holes in the unit? And if so, if it's my opponents next turn can I pile in during my combat into another nearby unit with the isolated models? I ask because in this situation I have not yet had a movement phase of my own in which I would move back into cohesion. It feels like that model is freelancing a bit...

4 answers to this question

You can remove models as casualties as you please.

With that in mind, once unit cohesion has been broken (i.e. some models are more than an inch away from other models in the unit) models can no longer move at all unless the movement would bring them back into cohesion.

So, unless the pile in move would bring the model back within an inch of another model in the unit, it cannot pile in.

In all but some very extreme circumstances, a retreat move should allow you to bring those models back into cohesion.

It is not just the Movement Phase, but any type of movement.

A pile in is a movement that occurs during the Combat Phase.

So any type of movement is not possible, unless said movement would bring the model back into cohesion.

In your example, you must pile in towards the closest model. Since this would bring you farther away from the parent unit, and not bring the model back within 1" of a sibling model, it is not possible to pile in at all.

Archived