Effect of phase-specific warscroll abilities out-of-phase

Helmut

Question

Hi all,

Have a question which has popped up due to the wording of the Freeguild Great Company ability. This ability allows a unit to "lend support" to another at the end of the enemy charge phase. Said unit can then "shoot as if it were their shooting phase". 

Disagreement has arisen over what this means for friendly and enemy units during resolution. 

The example in question looks at a unit of Handgunners shooting either a unit of Fulminators or a unit of Protectors. Both Handgunners and Fulminators have warscroll abilities which activate during the "shooting phase". Protectors have a warscroll ability that affects shooting attacks with no mention of phase. 

Considering the specific wording of the rule, I can see three outcomes:

1. Only Handgunners act as if it is their shooting phase. Handgunners and Protectors activate their abilities. Fulminators  would not activate theirs

2. All units act as if it is the shooting phase. All three units activate abilities

3. Not technically the shooting phase, so no phase-specific abilities are activated. Only Protectors may use their ability

Interested to hear people's thoughts on whether phase-specific abilities should be activated during these  "as if" engagements. 

Thanks

3 answers to this question

I assume you are talking about the ability that a Piper gives you from the Freeguild Handgunners' warscroll (found here: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-freeguild-handgunners-en.pdf)...

Here's what happens. It's the Charge Phase, but you are allowed to shoot your missile weapons (as indicated by the "Pipers" special rule). All shooting from the warscroll is conducted without any other bonuses indicated on the warscroll ("Marksman", "Steady Aim", and "Handgun Volley" all occur only in the Shooting Phase).

If you are targeting, say, Liberators, that's relatively easy to reconcile. If you're targeting Fulminators, those Fulminators will not receive their save boost, as this is the Charge Phase, not the Shooting Phase. If you're targeting Protectors, you must subtract 1 from your hit rolls, as that ability kicks in on any enemy shooting attacks (it's not phase dependent).

Basically, long story short, #3 on your list is the correct one. It comes from the FAQ of the basic rules (https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/age_of_sigmar_the_rules_en-1.pdf), and the relevant question is here:

image.png.25e57dd8e45e36747c63fd4e7c92530f.png

Hi @rokapoke thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I am not referring to the pipers ability.

In brief, the Freeguild allegiance allows you to form a Great Company from three units of Guard, Handgunners, Crossbowmen, Greatswords, or Archers.

If, at the end of the enemy charge phase an enemy unit ends within 3" of one of these units, then another Great Company can lend support (provided both units are within 6", and there are no enemy units within 3" of the unit lending support). 

The key part of the rule is that units lending support can "shoot as if it were their shooting phase, or charge as if it were their charge phase". 

From your FAQ link above though, I agree that even when applied to this rule the answer would be #3.

Thanks for your input, let me know if you disagree with the assessment.

11 minutes ago, Helmut said:

In brief, the Freeguild allegiance allows you to form a Great Company from three units of Guard, Handgunners, Crossbowmen, Greatswords, or Archers.

Ah, the Allegiance Ability. I did a quick internet search for Great Company (figuring it was a battalion) but it hadn't crossed my mind to consider the Allegiance Abilities.

Regardless, the FAQ does apply and #3 is the answer, as you just stated.

The way I see the rules is this: I can use my credit cards today as if I won the lottery, but that doesn't mean I'm getting a multi-million-dollar deposit to my bank account this week!

Archived