Players Rounding Down Charge Range?

Blutsteigen

Question

Question:

Recently I was playing a new opponent. I tend to measure the charge to the unit I desire, call it an even number, and try to match it with my roll.

He was factoring in the"move within one-half inch" of the unit model to successfully charge rule statement.  I felt, at times, he was "rounding down." Now I'm not upset about that, but I found it unappealing and confusing.  How would all of you handle this? Who is correct --his approach, or mine?

2 answers to this question

I would say it works as follows. If two units are 4.5 inches away, you need a 4 to charge in. If they are 4.6 inches away, you need a 4.1 to charge. 4.1 is unattainable, so you need a 5. I would politely explain this to my opponent, and if he insists and continues "rounding down," then he is a cheater lol.

Id probably find another opponent as someone not willing to be open minded is in my opinion not worth playing with. If he's a nice guy and I have fun playing with him, then I'd let it slide and not care and keep playing with him. But, this likely shouldn't be the case, as if he's a decent dude you two should be able to have a discussion about the wording of the rules, post on tga (as you so intelligently did) and come to the conclusion that you need a 5 to charge or fail :). 

Firstly they have to be within 12" not 12-1/2". But the charge move must get them within 1/2" so as above, a 4.5" separation needs a 4" charge, 4.6" needs 5" charge. Best way is to measure and call the measured distance and confirm what charge that needs, but of course you don't need to specify so you could just roll then do the above, but that just leads to argument so it's almost always less hassle to determine the min required, then if you get more you can have a choice of targets. 

Archived