Skeleton Horsemen or Skeleton Horse Archers?

themortalgod

So... I bought a bunch of used skeleton sprues today and included are the bits to create 15 skeleton riders and I'm trying to decide whether to build them as Archers or the Horsemen with Spears.

On paper, the bow guys seem to be quite a bit stronger, but they are also quite a few more points. Was wondering what experience everyone has had fielding either? Either particularly shine? 

thx!

3 minutes ago, Thanatos Ares said:

I use them as Skeleton Horsemen as they fulfil your battleline requirements, are cheap, have very good movement and have a low target priority from your opponents point of view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense, do they end up doing much damage? I'm worried their relatively poor attacks coupled with an inability to pack densely due to large bases mean they would just crash into an enemy unit and do very little? The being able to charge and run is nice though, gives them a large threat radius, especially with the min 6" charge range. I assume you prefer them in small units of 5 rather than bigger ones?

(overall I'm not really worried about battleline requirements as I intend to usually run quite a few skeletons on foot and/or chariots :))

10 hours ago, Koalaninja said:

In my opinion they are one of the best battle line options in the game. Superior to black knights in every way. Really hope they remain in the game with the second handbook. 

I'm sure they will be. GW has pretty much confirmed TKs will remain in GH2.0 by teasing nerfs and I can't imagine they would remove anything arbitrarily. ;) 

9 hours ago, Koalaninja said:

My concern is that they will no longer be battleline. There is currently no reason to take black knights when the horsemen exist. The black knights need to just become the horsemen tbh. Lovely models. 

Ah, well, personally, I'd like to see black knights function differently. Horsemen should be fragile and very fast, while Black Knights should be slower but hit harder with better resilience. Unfortunately, they are simply just not efficient at this time, though I'm hoping a new death book would release a new warscroll and pts cost that would bring them up to snuff. 

Archived