Best battleline for skaven

Flood

Hi everyone!

We all know that skaven lacks in the battle line department when you go outside of clan keywords. Stormfiends are amazing battle line, but if you want to build a list outside of skryre, then you have to use clanrats. I think the one benefit to clanrats as battle line is that they are so cheap! 60 points for a unit of 10. Other than that being their only benefit, they sort of suck at any type of damage output, especially in units of 10.

Now, I understand clanrats are still useful for catching objectives and bubble wrapping, but other units can do the same. Take for instance bloodreavers. They are only 70 points for 10 models and have a much better statline, especially if you bring a bloodsecrator and bloodstoker. Their downfall of course, is lack of save rolls. 

Another good unit for battle line are bloodwarriors. At 100 points for 5, they are far more killy and can really pack a punch. Their problem though is lack of bodies. At this point, we are paying 300 points for 15 bodies as opposed to 180 points for 30 bodies with the clanrats. One may argue clanrats would be more effective as you are saving 120 points and getting double the boddies. 120 points is nothing to scoff at! That's another hero! Nearly a arch Warlock, or 50 points off from sayl! 60 more points and you get another warp lightning cannon! 

Additionally, we have the very survivable plaguebearers. 100 points for 10, and you get ultrasurvivability. Good save rolls, a 5 up "ward" save, and regenerating bodies on battleshock rolls of 1. Great bubble wrap units, but I'm unsure how they do with damage output. I think not great. Also, I dont like the way they look as they dont seem to fit a skaven theme outside pestilens for me. 

Finally, there are bloodletters. I see a lot of people taking units of 30, which seems to work well. Again though, pretty expensive units costing 300 points for 30. Is it worth it? I dont know much about them, but I know their good. 

Currently I am using clanrats as my battleline, using a mincore setup of 3 units of 10. I have 20 blood reavers and 10 blood warriors I'm considering to use as battle line, but that tempts me to bring a bloodsecrator and bloodstoker, which im not sure is worth it. So, honestly im not sure what the best way to go about my battle line is. Id love other peoples experienced opinions!

I know this largely depends on your list, but i have a huge variety of skaven and tend to change it up a lot. I've not included any lists here as id like this discussion to be about battle line primarily, and my post is already long so including list content would just annoy everyone haha. The one thing i will say though is that this post does not apply to the verminus clawpack list, as clanrats would obviously be battle line there. 

Thanks in advance everyone, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Let's not forget the Strength in Numbers ability. ..30+ models get you +1 to hit and +1 to wound, as well as a bravery bonus. They will still go down hard and fast, but if you take spears and can get the first good charge in, there will be lots of hits from your glass cannon

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I love Clan Rats in units of 40. So cheap I don't care if they die, plus Strength in Numbers and +1 Bravery per 10 models. Give them spears and shields and they'll give you massive board control.

I like to take them in the Verminous Clawpack for the extra Bravery and attacks.

Archived