Painting Blog - Mierce Zull (Skaarac)

Welcome hobby fans to my blog chronicling my painting (and modelling I guess) of Zhull from Mierce Miniatures.

As soon as I received this massive hunk of Resin goodness I knew I needed to provide some coverage to do the model justice. The model itself is based on a current Mierce model which has has elements re-sculpted to fit in with the Warhammer / AoS aesthetic and lends itself perfectly to be used as a Skaarac proxy.

Assembly

This was honestly one of the easiest resin models I have dealt with for a long time, this is mostly due to the large 'meaty' components which fit together very well. The first step is always a nice warm soapy bath with an old toothbrush. Then some minor greenstuffing was needed, this was mostly around the upper arm joints (just above the biceps) and the join around the head.

Undercoating

I went to my default undercoat choice of Halfords grey primer, this stuff is cheaper that a GW spray, gives you more, and covers just as well. Went the undercoat dried I noticed that I was not happy with the join between the head and mane, hence why you can see green stuff in the picture!

Airbrush Work

I have mentioned this a few times on the The Black Sun podcast and on my recent twitter vid but the airbrush work is very simple and purely revolves around the red armour. This is base-coated with Mephiston Red then I spray Evil Suns Scarlet from, above and then finally Abaddon black from below. This is a simple process and creates a nice effect. I then used a 50/50 mix of Lahmian Medium and Army Painter Strong Tone ink all over the red. Unfortunately this has dried slightly blotchy in places, however the armour chipping should cover this well at a later stage.

Keep tuned!

Photo 19-12-2016, 21 39 06.jpg

Photo 19-12-2016, 21 39 19.jpg

Archived