Storing Spiders (especially the big ones)

BadgerBuddha

Hey everyone,

I'm doing a 2000 point spider army build. I was originally planning on using baking trays with lids and, while that may work for the spider riders, I underestimated the size of Arachnarok spiders. 

My backup plan was to go with Crystal Fortress cases, but they don't make a layer for 160mm rounds, so that's right out. I don't really like using foam as I used to live in Florida and that meant the foam sticking to models or rubbing paint off in the heat. What options do I have? (Note, I'll probably use whatever the best suggestion is for my land raiders as they shockingly have the same footprint.)

Any suggestions?

In my case what i did is not glue the gobbo ramshackle structure in top. Then to store the single Arachanarock without it is much more easy. 

I've glued 3x2mm magnets in the bottom of the base. You can get them for pennies in many places like in the discount shop (https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=magnets&submit_search) or in amazon.

Then I've found in the M&S supermarket a big box of Belgian chocolate cookies made of some sort of thin metal of 8.5"x11"x3.7" aprox. This more than enough to hold a big spider and a couple of scuttle bosses, grots, giant, etc...  Probably 2 Arachnaroks if one is snap to the lid and the other one to the bottom of the box.

So I treated my wife well with some chocolate cookies and after that I've got a nice box where to store my big spiders and the scuttle boss. She was happy and I was happy. Win win.

The grots structure on top is the most troublesome. What it worked me the best is just a square box filled with towel paper that I carry aside. IMAO is too fragile, specially the gobbos on it, even for foam and this is what it worked the best.

In the same supermarket I've also found a Scottish short bread thin box slightly shorter (8.5"x11"x2.5") which make them ideal for the small spiders. They can easily hold more than 25 spiders event with the banners and the spears.

To store and carry my 1000 pts of spiders only takes me a Scottish shortbread box, a Belgian chocolate cookie box that they stack together quite nicely and strong due to the models magnets itself, plus a random small square box big enough to hold the grot structure.

Edited by OrcaLullaby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OrcaLullaby said:

In my case what i did is not glue the gobbo ramshackle structure in top. Then to store the single Arachanarock without it is much more easy. 

I've glued 3x2mm magnets in the bottom of the base. You can get them for pennies in many places like in the discount shop (https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=magnets&submit_search) or in amazon.

Then I've found in the M&S supermarket a big box of Belgian chocolate cookies made of some sort of thin metal of 8.5"x11"x3.7" aprox. This more than enough to hold a big spider and a couple of scuttle bosses, grots, giant, etc...  Probably 2 Arachnaroks if one is snap to the lid and the other one to the bottom of the box.

So I treated my wife well with some chocolate cookies and after that I've got a nice box where to store my big spiders and the scuttle boss. She was happy and I was happy. Win win.

The grots structure on top is the most troublesome. What it worked me the best is just a square box filled with towel paper that I carry aside. IMAO is too fragile, specially the gobbos on it, even for foam and this is what it worked the best.

In the same supermarket I've also found a Scottish short bread thin box slightly shorter (8.5"x11"x2.5") which make them ideal for the small spiders. They can easily hold more than 25 spiders event with the banners and the spears.

To store and carry my 1000 pts of spiders only takes me a Scottish shortbread box, a Belgian chocolate cookie box that they stack together quite nicely and strong due to the models magnets itself, plus a random small square box big enough to hold the grot structure.

I was thinking of something like this but the christmas cookies won't be available for some time yet here in the states. I was planning on getting a baking tray (or two) with a lid for the 40 spider riders but I was hoping I could find one big container for all three arachnaroks (and maybe the boss on gigantic spider). I am kind of surprised how hard it is to find large tin boxes online.

They are rare to find indeed but they are a really useful hobby assets. In my opinion, which could be wrong, they are even better than a commercial magnetic tray, at least for storing if you don't need to display them.

The reason is that in a thin box is possible to snap a model at the side of the box. This gives you an extra dimension to play with that also is extremely tall.

For instance one of this Belgian chocolate thin I can fit easily a gargant, even if the model is quite a tall model, because I can snap it at the side of the box.