New AoS Player - DoK 2000 pt army list

IrishCarBomb

I'm fairly new to AoS and somewhat familiar with old Warhammer (specifically 8th ed). I wanted to put together a Medusa/Melusai based army that is fairly competitive but also pleasing to my aesthetic. Here is my list and I just wanted to get your guys take more or less on game play and what challenges or weaknesses I may run into, specifically with the low model count. I wanted a very fast, loose, and dynamic army that is able to make some great assassination attempts or surprises. Please provide any criticism or point out any combos I may have missed for such a list. Give it to me straight!! Thanks

Masked Melusai - Temple Nest Batallion (Khailebron Cult) Class Qty
Bloodwrack Medusa - Mistress of Poisons & Mistress of Illusion command traits, Mind Razor (spell) General 1
Bloodwrack Medusa - Shade Claw, Steed of Shadows (spell) Hero 1
Slaughter Queen - Khainite Pendant - Crimson Rejuvination Hero 1
Hag Queen - Catechism of Murder Hero 1

Blood Sisters Battleline 10
Blood Stalkers Other 5
Blood Stalkers Other 5
Khinerai Heartrenders Other 10
Khinerai Heartrenders Other 5
Temple Nest Batallion    

36 minutes ago, IrishCarBomb said:

I'm fairly new to AoS and somewhat familiar with old Warhammer (specifically 8th ed). I wanted to put together a Medusa/Melusai based army that is fairly competitive but also pleasing to my aesthetic. Here is my list and I just wanted to get your guys take more or less on game play and what challenges or weaknesses I may run into, specifically with the low model count. I wanted a very fast, loose, and dynamic army that is able to make some great assassination attempts or surprises. Please provide any criticism or point out any combos I may have missed for such a list. Give it to me straight!! Thanks

Masked Melusai - Temple Nest Batallion (Khailebron Cult) Class Qty
Bloodwrack Medusa - Mistress of Poisons & Mistress of Illusion command traits, Mind Razor (spell) General 1
Bloodwrack Medusa - Shade Claw, Steed of Shadows (spell) Hero 1
Slaughter Queen - Khainite Pendant - Crimson Rejuvination Hero 1
Hag Queen - Catechism of Murder Hero 1

Blood Stalkers Other 5
Blood Stalkers Other 5
Khinerai Heartrenders Other 10
Khinerai Heartrenders Other 5
Temple Nest Batallion    

To start, you do not get 2 command traits. You have to take the trait of the temple INSTEAD of another one. You also don't have enough battleline, only the blood sisters become battleline.  

The second thing is that Temple Nest(and blood sisters in general) are a hammer army. They grind you into dust with nurgle levels of survivability and Khorne level damage output. They're not really 'sneaky'. If you want a primarily tricksy army I would suggest doing a Slaughter Troupe with large units of Sisters of slaughter and Heartrenders

Keep in mind the following feedback is 100% based around ON TABLE efficiency. In the end, do what you like, play what you want:

Hagg Narr is a better way to run Temple Nest, the 5++ is exceptionally good, though I would certainly recommend taking it on a Shrine rather than a foot bloodwrack.

Bloodwracks will never be good in combat, and Mindrazor is the be all end all of a build like this. I would change Shade Claw for Shadow stone on the wizard with Mindrazor and Steed of Shadows for -1 bravery spell.

Avatars of Khaine are not really a splashable unit. They need to have a list built around them to be effective, I would drop them outright, Slaughter queens are worse than Hag queens unless they are your general and hag queens are so good you should always have at least 2. 

A hag Cauldron is definitely something to think about but not necessarily mandatory. 

Finally you want to add more blood sisters. Having at least 1 unit of 20 for the huge discount they get is pretty great.

If I was going to make a list like this one I would start with a template that looked like this and refine it as I played it:

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar

Leaders
Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Desciples 
- Artefact: Shadow Stone 
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- Lore of Shadows: Shroud of Despair
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Martyr's Sacrifice
Hag Queen (60)
- Artefact: Blood Sigil 
- Prayer: Catechsim of Murder
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Crimson Rejuvenation

Battleline
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers
20 x Blood Sisters (480)
- Daughters of Khaine Battleline (Bloodwrack Medusa General)
20 x Blood Sisters (480)
- Daughters of Khaine Battleline (Bloodwrack Medusa General)

Units
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)

Battalions
Temple Nest (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 144

Thank you BuRF. I have added additional blood sisters and eliminated the dual command traits. Could you elaborate a little on the avatars? Why don't they work well with a list like this? Also, why is the Hag queen way better? Is the 40 extra points just too much for the Slaughter queens additional weapon, prayer and dispel ability? Lastly, looking at the Medusa's stats I would have assumed them to be decent in combat can you elaborate on this as well? 

I can elaborate no prob!

Avatars of Khaine: Avatars of Khaine Can't do ANYTHING until turn 3 without recieving a prayer buff, and prayer buffs only go off on a 3+, if your Queen fails that prayer you've paid 180pts for a literal terrain piece and can end up  in a situation where you have to choose between following your important units to buff them, or trying the prayer again on turn 2, which may well fail again. Rolling 3+ can be a lot harder than you'd think. Finally, for 60pts more than the avatar and hag to buff it, you can get a hagg cauldron which gives an 18" aura of +1 save.

Hag Queens are better because of witchbrew. Simple as that. Slaughter queens have a great command ability and a slaughter queen on cauldron is a fantastic general but witchbrew is worth its weight in gold. Remember, 5 wound characters are so fragile in Sigmar that their personal combat ability is largely irrelevant. Which actually leads into the medusa thing.

If you mathhammer out the medusa's attacks, she has roughly the same combat ability as 4-5 witch aelves (40-50pts) and is far too fragile and far too important (mind razor is arguably the best spell in the game) to risk on going into melee. 

Daughters of Khaine are an army that has some of the most potent buffing abilities in the game and buffs become exponentially more powerful when stacked.

Take a 20 girl squad of blood sisters. Against a 4+ save with lower bravery on their own they do 12 wounds and 10 mortal wounds on average. Buffed with Catechism of murder, sacrement of blood (Hagg Nar on turn 2), witch brew and mind razor that same unit does 66 wounds and  15 mortal wounds. 

I think I have a much improved list that should hopefully synergize better. I kept the Khailebron cult because i like the added durability in the shooting phase and the mistress of illusion command ability. Let me know what you think

Masked Melusai - Temple Nest Batallion (Khailebron Cult) Class Qty Points
Bloodwrack Shrine (Medusa) - Mistress of Illusion command trait, Rune of Ulgu, Steed of Shadows & Shroud of Despair General 1 220
Bloodwrack Medusa - Shadow Stone, Mindrazor Hero 1 140
Hag Queen - Martyr's Sacrifice Hero 1 60
Hag Queen - Catechism of Murder Hero 1 60

Blood Sisters Battleline 20 480
Blood Sisters Battleline 10 280
Blood Stalkers Other 5 160
Blood Stalkers Other 5 160
Witch Aelves - Paired Knives Battleline 20 200
Khinerai Heartrenders Other 5 80
Khinerai Heartrenders Other 5 80
Temple Nest Batallion     80

Archived