Some advice please on glues and varnish

Hi everybody!

Recently picked up models on Ebay which I believe have been put together with PVA glue. Thankfully getting arms and heads off hasn't been an issue, but seeing these are Orcs/Orruks getting the torso to leg join off has proved a nightmare.

I was planning to leave them like that although I've dipped them in Methylated spirits to get off the excess glue. My question is this. Will the glue peel over time? If so will the primer seal it in? Or the gloss varnish I use (Halford's Gloss varnish)? Any tips welcome. Many thanks :-)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

PVA is not water proof, so if you wash it in hot water and the glue comes off then its PVA. Otherwise its probably something else. Could be a two part epoxy (in which case it will be a pretty strong bond) or plastic glue other than polystyrene cement. If its something like that then your probably ok just sealing it in, but it may well break eventually if its not a glue intended for bonding plastic.

12 minutes ago, BigNoodleDave said:

If it's super glue it's a bit weak... Minus the torso part lol.

If its uhu what's the recommended course of action?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

My general advice would be to remove and re-glue all parts that you can, and any that are glued firmly just leave.

Archived