50 renown Skirmish army - needs help!

Duck1986

Hello! 

Me and a friend are going to start the Shadespire campaign this week. In the notes it says to start with 25 points, but we feel this is very low especially when a hero costs 20. We're considering 50 to make the battles meaningful (unless anyone else has suggestions?).

My thinking is :

Freeguild General - 20 renown (Or I could swap to a battlemage i'm concerned about the low save however as I expect an opponent mostly carrying ranged weapons).

5 Freeguild Guard with swords and Shields - 10 renown (option to bring in Halberders for the rend?)

6 Freeguild Handgunners - 12 renown - marksman with repeater handgun and musician to allow shooting at a charge. 

1 retributor (this is the one I'm really stuck on. My opponent favours dwarves and I suspect will outnumber me if I go with the retributor, as he could get 4 thunderes for the same cost... But also would having a multi wound unit be beneficial? Otherwise I could take more handgunners or guard, or I do have saurus warriors otherwise who ignore rend of -1).

I also have some liberators sat on the sidelines...

In particular id really like to hear your thoughts on the retributor and battlemage/general dilemma!

Thanks! 

I would advice starting at 35. We did that and at the end felt it might have been a bit much. The armies grow fast and the more models the slower the battles go. We kind of lost the feeling of a 'quick skirmish' game. 

Multi wounds are vey helpful. It allows you in a pinch to activate the model last in combat and be sure to get a punch back 

Archived