Looking to Expand Options for 2K List

RoloMcFury

Greetings, all! I took the dive into AoS about a month ago and have been enjoying it tremendously. However, I made the mistake of net-listing and my first 2K Destruction list is proving to be a bit much for my gaming scene, particularly for getting in casual games. After hearing my buddies talk up the impressive level of balance the game has, I copied the standard Stonehorn, x3 Thundertusk, 60 Moonclan, x3 Fanatics, MC Shaman tournament list to ensure I'd have a strong list right out of the gate (shameful, I know). The army in question works well, as you've probably heard or experienced first-hand, but I'm looking for a way to expand those units into something a little less brutal. It seem the primary offenders are the four Beastclaw behemoths, which do seem to be totally over the top compared to other similar units in their point ranges. These units will also likely be nerfed in some way in the upcoming GH2. So, I need to have a backup tourney list in the works anyway. However, the Grots seem very efficient and they were a blast to paint.

So, what Destruction units would pair well with 60 Moonclan Grots (spears, nets), x3 Fanatics (or more if needed), and the Moonclan Shaman? 

Having already thought about this somewhat, it seems ranged units complement these Grots best (as the Thundertusks do in the net list). Although not very dangerous in twenty-man squads, the Moonclan fellows hold down the fort like nobody's business. As such, I feel I must take advantage of their tar pit nature and blast the opponents from afar. I will probably pick up at least 20 more Moonclan Grots either way. Destruction, unfortunately, has a clear lack of ranged options. Here's what I've been eyeballing thus far:

-Savage Orruk Arrowboys- This is one of the clear-cut best shooting options for Destruction, but I feel they will also draw ire from my opponents (and possibly get a well-deserved bump in points cost in GH2). The potential for a Kunnin Rukk puts this option in the damage range as the Thundertusk parade. As my army has a snow theme, I also think the Savage Orruk weapons would be a ton of fun to paint as ice.

-Gitmob Grots with bows- The Gitmob Shaman, along with at least thirty man squads, make these buggers surprisingly effective shooters. I'd also toyed with running their compendium battalion, as it further boosts their shooting potency. Currently, I'm leaning towards this option, as I've really loved painting Grots.

Those are the only two options that really "wowed" me with a cursory look. Using both options together (Moonclan mobs supported by Arrowboys and Gitmob archers) also sounds like a fun horde list. Does anyone with more diverse Destruction experience have any ideas? Thanks for your time, folks!

Edit: I also meant to ask if a smash-face behemoth/hero unit like the Stonehorn Frostlord is an essential element of list-building. If so, what are some good alternatives? I do already have a Dreadmaw, but it obviously can't abuse the potent Battle Brew.

Archived