Search the Community
Showing results for tags '3d printing'.
Found 4 results
HI! Welcome back to my blog- since the previous entry I have successfully set up my machine and run a few files off- in fact I now have enough parts for about 25 acolytes and 3 jezzails and more on the way! For a first time 3d printer experience, the machine has been pretty smooth so far, with only a few failed parts...although it is both messy and unpleasant to clean due to the toxic resin, so I am learning a lot about gloves, masks and special filtration to keep myself from ending up looking like a plague monk! It has been interesting to correctly match to the torsos, which has involved many test prints to check scale and position of parts. However, allowing for the fact that some trimming will always be needed, I think I am at the best result I can achieve. The next stage will be to assemble some complete kits and get paint on to see how they look, then produce enough for the full army! Oh, and maybe make a skryre techno vortex spell pylon whilst I am at it...
Hi and welcome. I'm Russ and I work in miniatures design for tabletop, rpg and boardgames. I've been working in the industry for seven years and I am currently the studio lead for a UK based minis and boardgame producer. I'm also a big hobbyist, and I am currently working on a new Skaven army for AoS. However, let's be honest, some of the minis in that range are less than ideal. I fact I remember selling a few of them when I worked at GW myself. And I left in 1999... So, to make my awesome new Skryre list look as good as I can, I'm harnessing my experience in minis design, and my new 3d printer, to update and modernise my list using current plastic kits as a basis, and creating parts to turn them into whatever I need. I'm going to blog this on here and on my gmsibg group page as I thought the process might be interesting, as it'll show a lot of the stuff that happens behind the curtain with minis manufacturing. And it will hopefully lead to some cool pictures of skaven bad asses. To begin! My skryre list is not totally locked but I've immediately identified the issues with acolytes and jezzails as my first target. For both, I'm going to use storm vermin as the torso bases and create arms, heads and accessories to change them up. My initial work is shown below... I aim to have the complete kit done in the next few days.. And on Thursday I'm setting up the new 3d printer I just bought! I'll detail that too, in case anyone else is thinking about getting one! Until Wednesday...
My first model, the chapel in my previous blog (link), had been quite a large model and while it had been a fun experience from which I learnt a lot it seemed like it would be better for the next steps to try something a bit smaller with a lot less parts. The first of these was a memorial model that was still relatively large so it would block line of sight. This was made in 3 pieces as shown above in order to make it manageable to print on a variety of print bed sizes as well as making it less risky (Nothing worse than getting to the end of a print then something going wrong.). I also wanted to leave the top off in order to make it easy to install another model as a statue. It's a bit more awkward printing decent character models than buildings and scenery so my plan is to add a Chaos Warrior model as the statue to this model at some point. In general I was quite happy with how it turned out though and it was good having something that could be printed in less than a day instead of about 3 days. In addition to above I had been working on some smaller extra bits but the main next building I decided to work on was a smaller version of the original chapel as a mausoleum. Again I wanted something a bit smaller but that would fit in with the same style as I was planning on making a series of terrain with a similar theme so i'd have a Death or Shyish set. This model came out as 16 parts. The ground floor: and the roof: Part of what I wanted to do this time was as it had a modeled roof I wanted it to be easily detachable so I created some indents in the tops of the pillars and in the base of the end sections of roof. This allowed some small 5mm diameter magnets to be glued in and so I can detach the roof as needed. The next step is to finish off the extra bits i've been working on and I should have a good set of graveyard themed terrain which i'll hopefully be able to post about soon (and hopefully be able to give my Aelf Loremaster a rest too).