Command traits in Skirmish?

Are command traits from the relevant grand alliance taken for your warband leader in skirmish??

In short, No, you can't use command traits from the Grand Alliance they are part of.

“...you are free to use any command ability on their warscroll. Alternatively, you can generate a command ability for your general from the table on page 17” (page 16, Skirmish Rules)

Though you can take one of the artifacts from their grand alliance instead of using one of the ones on page 17.

I think command ability and command trait are being confused here.

The rulebook covers that you can either use the command ability on your hero's warscroll (if they have one) or pick one from the skirmish book (as TheOtherJosh quotes).

But I couldn't see anything to say whether you additionally take a command trait from your grand alliance (e.g. cunning deceiver, lord of war, dark avenger etc for Chaos) as you would do for a full AoS army.

I think command ability and command trait are being confused here.
The rulebook covers that you can either use the command ability on your hero's warscroll (if they have one) or pick one from the skirmish book (as TheOtherJosh quotes).
But I couldn't see anything to say whether you additionally take a command trait from your grand alliance (e.g. cunning deceiver, lord of war, dark avenger etc for Chaos) as you would do for a full AoS army.

Yep. Confusing command trait and ability ... :(

So, Command Traits (from Allegiance Abilities) are from the prior section:

"...in a Skirmish battle, your warband can only use the allegiance abilities of the Grand Alliance from which they hail."

I read it that you would use the Allegiance Abilities. But they can't use "faction" specific ones such as ones for Diciples of Tzeentch, you'd have to use ones from Grand Alliance: Chaos.

(I think I need another cup of coffee.)

Yup, and as we all know from reading the GHB, Allegiance Abilities are made up of Battle Traits, Command Traits and Artefacts.

On top of these, Skirmish also allows you to pick a replacement Command Ability (not Trait) and Artefact from the lists in the book.

So enjoy!

The answer is yes because Command Traits are listed under Allegiance Abilities which it explicitly says you get.  Allegiance Abilities consist of three parts:

1. Battle Trait (e.g. Deathless Minions)
  2. Command Trait (e.g. Ruler of the Night)
  3. Artefacts of Power (e.g. Cursed Book)

The Skirmish rules state you get the "Allegiance Abilities" of your respective Grand Alliance, therefore you would also get to pick a Command Trait from the list for your general (however you are limited to only the grand alliance section in the General's Handbook and not a battletome-specific ability).

What is interesting to note is, unless I'm mistaken, you cannot pick a second Command Ability in place of Inspiring Presence if you already have one one listed on your warscroll.  You get the one on your Warscroll OR one picked/generated from the chart ("Alternatively, you can generate a command ability for your general ..."), you don't get the one on your Warscroll plus a second one to replace the loss of Inspiring Presence.

32 minutes ago, wayniac said:

The answer is yes because Command Traits are listed under Allegiance Abilities which it explicitly says you get.  Allegiance Abilities consist of three parts:

1. Battle Trait (e.g. Deathless Minions)
  2. Command Trait (e.g. Ruler of the Night)
  3. Artefacts of Power (e.g. Cursed Book)

The Skirmish rules state you get the "Allegiance Abilities" of your respective Grand Alliance, therefore you would also get to pick a Command Trait from the list for your general (however you are limited to only the grand alliance section in the General's Handbook and not a battletome-specific ability).

What is interesting to note is, unless I'm mistaken, you cannot pick a second Command Ability in place of Inspiring Presence if you already have one one listed on your warscroll.  You get the one on your Warscroll OR one picked/generated from the chart ("Alternatively, you can generate a command ability for your general ..."), you don't get the one on your Warscroll plus a second one to replace the loss of Inspiring Presence.

Alternatively implies its a choice you can make. As in you have opened door number 1 and it has a can of spaghetti behind it, you can take that home if you want. Alternatively you can pick a new door to open.

Not the original point of this discussion, but do you get to start with an Artifact?  Say I'm going to be playing a campaign Saturday and I'm starting with a 25 renown Warband.  I get my command ability, battle trait from say order, command trait from order, do I also get to start with an artifact, either from Order or Skirmish book?

Or do I have to wait to get that as a reward during the campaign?

Not the original point of this discussion, but do you get to start with an Artifact?  Say I'm going to be playing a campaign Saturday and I'm starting with a 25 renown Warband.  I get my command ability, battle trait from say order, command trait from order, do I also get to start with an artifact, either from Order or Skirmish book?
Or do I have to wait to get that as a reward during the campaign?

Yes, you can choose to equip an artefact.

"In addition,you can equip your general either with an artefact of power from the table on page 17, or one from the artefacts available to their Grand Alliance..." p.16 (Excerpt From: “Age of Sigmar: Skirmish.”)

I've so far played it as if command traits are not available.

It uses the umbrella term of Allegiance Abilities, but specifically states you also get the choice of an artifact. Its weird that it doesn't mention command traits in the book, but i think i'm going to try playing with them added in to see how it goes.

Archived