[GA: Death] The icy touch of death!

Elmir

The rust is done by hand and a very easy process too:

It's a basecoat of leadbelcher, a wash of army painter dark tone (agrax will do just as well), then a mix of matt varnish mixed with vallejo rust pigments (essentially a wash that dries in a "powdery way". A final highlight of steel or silver is then applied, and some micro scratches if I want it to look slightly more fancy. 

• Thanks 1

Those ghastly skulls are great! I just love how thematic all the Endless spells can be with just a paint job.

23 hours ago, Elmir said:

I'll do my best to get proper pictures soon, but my other vice (World of Warcraft) has a new expansion dropping tonight, so I'm going into a typical binge gaming session... ;)

Spoiler

For the Horde!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This has nothing to do with painting itself, but I did just get a new place, and this room is going to be made into the mancave dedicated to wargaming. 

There's still a crapton of work that needs doing, but it is a nice basement room of 40-ish m² to turn into a dedicated AoS/40k space. I think for the next few months, the only painting I'll be doing, won't be done with a size 1 brush. ;)

mancave.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elmir said:

This has nothing to do with painting itself, but I did just get a new place, and this room is going to be made into the mancave dedicated to wargaming. 

There's still a crapton of work that needs doing, but it is a nice basement room of 40-ish m² to turn into a dedicated AoS/40k space. I think for the next few months, the only painting I'll be doing, won't be done with a size 1 brush. ;)

mancave.jpg

Thats massive! Good luck and fun!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So the painting setup is almost completed in that room. My girlfriend also got me the black coach as a Christmas gift!

I love the model, but I hate how much of a frontal overhang it has for gaming purposes. So I'm attempting to get it as far back as possible.  I made quite a few subassemblies (all the wooden parts of the carriage , the horses  and ofc the ghosts are kept separate), allowing me to get a good indication of where the model will be on that big slab of a base. So I filled a lot of the emptiness with my usual rocks and quite a few gravesite stones. 

The only part that was glued to the base at the start, is the ethereal bit that supports the main carriage bit. I wanted that as far back as possible for minimal front overhang. Here's a few shots of the subassemblies so far. 

IMG_20181226_133457.jpg

IMG_20181226_133528.jpg

IMG_20181226_133556.jpg

IMG_20181226_133609.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tolstedt said:

Super cool.  Feels like I'm in the lair of king Arthas.

The WotLK expansion of WoW was basically the inspiration for this army's colour palette. 

That and the bases of course. I'm still hoping GW will release more soul constructs like the morghasts (with heavier armor) to go for a more deathknight heavy infantry style army in the future. 

So, the black coach is now finished. 

Proper pictures are coming soon, but I did goof around a bit with the artwork page that came in my Wrath and Rapture box: 

hvQ5GEc.jpg

I'm kind of hoping the FEC vs Skaven box will have similarly styled cool artwork now!

Edited by Elmir
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1