[GA: Death] The icy touch of death!

Elmir

That's a crisply painted army and a nice looking theme. I was doubtful, because of bony colors on a snowwhite underground, but it turned out well.

Let me ask you a question, Elmir.

Did you use cork for your rocks and later turned to slate? And where did you get your slate, I can't seem to find an online supplier whose slate is fine enough to use.

Thank you

2 hours ago, BenOutTheDen said:

Let me ask you a question, Elmir.

Did you use cork for your rocks and later turned to slate? And where did you get your slate, I can't seem to find an online supplier whose slate is fine enough to use.

Thank you

I started out making my "slate" out of miliput which I rolled out with a dough roller between 2 sheets of baking paper. 

I swapped over to real slate after a while because I had stumbled on a suitable bag at a local gardener shop. I do take some of the larger pieces of slate and whack them into tinier bits with a hammer though. Slate is prone to breaking into horizontal slices, so it requires a bit of extra work, but it's a lot cheaper than doing hundreds of bases with miliput (and I like the look of it better as well). 

Thank you.

I always feel neurotic because I have a full regiment painted up with love, sitting on pinned cork and waiting for me to design a base.

I feel I'm never satisfied with my choice. I'm aiming for a compromise between "don't regret later that I didn't put enough effort in it" and "don't want to spend another deacade on basing".

I really need to find a fitting source of slate.

15 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Wow! These turned out great!!! I'm  also going blues on my spooks. Would you mind sharing your colors on those, please?

That's a base of baharoth blue airbrushed over the underlaying coat (rhinox hide in this case), followed by an airbrush layer of white near the bottom of the ethereal bits, given a coat of 50/50 mix of guilliman blue/matt varnish (lahmian medium would also work) and given final highlights of white. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Working more on my endless spells and theming them to various subfactions of my army!

DMFOAGv.jpg

kenguJV.jpg

KVhivbt.jpg

g7IF7l5.jpg

aKbMi33.jpg

SMTvgn7.jpg

jC34zge.jpg

I used  a lighter to make the plastic slightly bendy on the soulsnare shackles, just so they don't all line  up in a straight line anymore. 

Hope you like it!

• Like 16
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 11:46 AM, carnera said:

Hi, absolutely brilliant!

I'm a little color-blind, what colors did you use for the skintones of the flesh-eaters?

Thanks!

I used vallejo model colours Grey blue and pale Grey blue. Both thinned down with vallejo airbrush thinner and applied in a zenithal airbrush layer. 

• Like 1