[GA: Death] The icy touch of death!

Elmir

@Elmir, what a great alternative Mourngul you found..love it. Never really liked the Mourngul model (I know a lot of people does like it  though), and apart from that it doesn't really match the Nighthaunt aesthetics. This one fits the army much better as you say.

Considering one myself as well. Do you have a 3D printer yourself or did you send the STL to a commercial company to print it for you?

Another question, I notice the small tombstones with the chainrasp, where di you get those. I bought various tombstone sets, but all seem to be a bit large for the at least the smaller models.

Edited by Lowki

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh sure, my bonecolours start with vallejo tan primer, I do some airbrush shading in a reverse zenithal with vallejo cork brown, then I hit it with wraithseer (used to be bonewhite, but it's very similar) from the top down to create a slight transition. A bit of white drybrushing (very light) or regular white highlights for the showpieces and then shading using army painter darktone (the synthetic variant, thinned with mineral spirits).

The purple is essentially naggaroth nights ---> army painter dark tone --> naggaroth night --> mix in genestealer purple --> lilac purple edge highlights. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Technically Death models... Just for blood bowl!
VqEZq2W.jpg

I did want to share these in this thread however.  It's a new experiment with contrast paints over "en Grisaille" greyscale undertones. It was LIGHTNING fast compared to my normal style of painting (which some already consider quite fast)... I think I'm going to use these techniques for the Ulfenkarn box (if I can get my hands on it). I will post a step by step on how to speedpaint like this using contrast paints, rattlecan primers, nuln oil and a good drybrush. 

• LOVE IT! 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GsQ5aim.jpg

I finished these for Warhammer Underwolds, but there's a good chance I'll get some extra ones to slap on a 40mm base and use as normal vampire lords for my army (as it does seem they made the switch). 

Easiest way to get a regular Vyrkos/avengorii themed vampire in there I reckon. They luckily also did not do any weird stuff like sculpting parts of the feet onto the bases. 

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

@Elmir Fantastic stuff! I especially like the zombies and the skeletons. You mentioned that you paint contrast over a greyscale. Could you elaborate on that, please? Rattlecan or airbrush? What spectrum of tones (or even colors) do you use for this? Do you do extra highlights, before layering the (probably thinned down) contrast colors on top?

56 minutes ago, Okonomiyakimarine said:

@Elmir Fantastic stuff! I especially like the zombies and the skeletons. You mentioned that you paint contrast over a greyscale. Could you elaborate on that, please? Rattlecan or airbrush? What spectrum of tones (or even colors) do you use for this? Do you do extra highlights, before layering the (probably thinned down) contrast colors on top?

I used an airbrush, but it works with rattlecans too. I used it on the punga miniatures team and started with a black primer with white over the top. I then hit it with an all over black wash and a quick white drybrush to pick out the edges. 

Applying contrast over that, pretty much made the models look like they were given proper highlights, even though they didn't. This doesn't work for all contrast paints though (it looks horrid with colours like apothecary white or aethermathic blue). Thinning the contrast depends on the power of the contrast paint. Some of them are very pigment dense, others less so. It's all about experimenting with that a bit.

It works better  for an overall muted colour palette, where you can get away with doing very few saturated colours to offset it. I did that with my blood bowl black orc team: 

ayN0XFm.jpg

0hUenSb.jpg

You can also do a brown primer with white zenithal over it, if you want to avoid the black areas and get a warmer tone for the contrast paints. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And Mir Kainan and his merry band of men are also finished! 

8sgwSVT.jpg?1

The hero looked amazing, but I was even more enamored with the archer... God I hope this army gets archers and chariots... I do hope they just push forwards with Nagash recreating the tomb kings as his ultimate fighting force... It would be such an AoS move to do! 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

I would imagine so. The fusion of souls and bone looks amazing on the crawler and those mounts, so I hope they take that design to the max! 

I love the OBR, but the options for the choice are a bit limited for now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just found this thread (started nighthaunt not too long ago) and I really like how you did your spectral blues!

I saw in a much earlier post from 2017, that you used Guilliman Blue Glaze mixed with Matte to on top of a Bararoth Blue base and white airbrush layer.

Since the Guilliman Blue Glaze is no longer in production, do you still have some stockpiled by chance to still be using? Or have you been able to find a substitute in this time that still gives off this effect?

I was using Nighthaunt gloom with a little bit of white airbrush work, but the gloom is a little darker that I had hoped. So I was just curious!

On 8/6/2021 at 9:14 PM, Zodark said:

I just found this thread (started nighthaunt not too long ago) and I really like how you did your spectral blues!

I saw in a much earlier post from 2017, that you used Guilliman Blue Glaze mixed with Matte to on top of a Bararoth Blue base and white airbrush layer.

Since the Guilliman Blue Glaze is no longer in production, do you still have some stockpiled by chance to still be using? Or have you been able to find a substitute in this time that still gives off this effect?

I was using Nighthaunt gloom with a little bit of white airbrush work, but the gloom is a little darker that I had hoped. So I was just curious!

Hue wise, the calth clear blue is the one that matches the hue of the old guilliman blue glaze best. 

The finish is just a lot more glossy. This doesn't bother me too much though, as I thin it anyway (and I'll just use a matt medium for that this time around) and I always finish my models with an ultra matt varnish in the end anyway. 

Warhammer Community recommended a blue contrast paint, but that's definitely a different hue to the old Guilliman blue. Hope this helps!

On 8/8/2021 at 10:04 AM, Elmir said:

Warhammer Community recommended a blue contrast paint, but that's definitely a different hue to the old Guilliman blue. Hope this helps!

I may have to look into the Calth Blue then. I found a couple posts about making a glaze similar to Guilliman blue using Vallejo Game ink (7-8 parts blue, 1 part red, and 24 parts water) and will be trying that too when those come in this week!

I did over the weekend try a Talassar Blue that was heavily thinned down with water and added some Matt Medium, It gave an effect that was still more desirable than using the nighthaunt gloom.

And that's a good point as well, I have some Matte sprays I like to use as well when i'm all done so I might just stick to just adding water for now for glazing.

Thank you for the suggestion and feedback!