Swiftmus' Stuff *Update: Armies on Parade plans*

swiftmus

I find it difficult to stay focused on painting lots and lots of core infantry yet I've always quite liked the look of Skaven. The release of AoS Skirmish is therefore the perfect opportunity to paint up some rats! I haven't settled on a list yet but will be aiming for a 50 renown warband for playing the odd casual game with friends. I'm thinking some mix of Stormvermin, Plague Monks and a centrepiece (Stormfiend, Rat Ogor, weapons team) led by a Warlord.

Today I received the Spire of Dawn Warlord and started painting him up. To start with I'm doing the skin, fur and armour. I'm planning on making his skin and fur quite pale to give him an albino type look, something I may use on the other rats too. To make the leader stand out (and because generally I prefer painting non-metallic colours) I'm giving him lacquered red armour. I used a similar technique on the starter set Bloodbound, basically following each layer of red with a brown wash, resulting in a nice shiny finish.

My painting has improved a lot over the last year or two (the AoS starter set was my return to the hobby after qutting fantasy around the time 8th came out) and I'd like to continue with this project by taking my time to produce results I'm happy with.

This is the warlord so far:

Warlord_wip01.jpg

Warlord_wip02.jpg

Warlord_wip03.jpg

Warlord_wip04.jpg

I've decided to repurpose this thread to general projects since I like to flit between different things. My local GW is running a skirmish event in a couple of weeks and I'm going to enter with wanderers, since I already have a decent selection of painted elves to use. 

I bought the Eldar Triumvirate set when it came out with the intention of using the models for conversions. This morning I used this kit, along with some wood elf bits to build the Nomad Prince who will be leading my skirmish force. The Wild Rider mask on the face is a little low but I don't think anyone will notice unless they're looking really close. Overall I'm happy with the conversion, there's very few parts of this kit which look overly sci-fi and so it's great for conversions in AoS' high fantasy setting. The sprite from the Glade Guard kit is on a temporary base for painting and will sit on the Prince's base once finished to act as his hunting hawk.

Nomad Prince 01.jpg

Nomad Prince 02.jpg

Nomad Prince 03.jpg

On 6/24/2017 at 1:33 PM, swiftmus said:

I've decided to repurpose this thread to general projects since I like to flit between different things. My local GW is running a skirmish event in a couple of weeks and I'm going to enter with wanderers, since I already have a decent selection of painted elves to use. 

I bought the Eldar Triumvirate set when it came out with the intention of using the models for conversions. This morning I used this kit, along with some wood elf bits to build the Nomad Prince who will be leading my skirmish force. The Wild Rider mask on the face is a little low but I don't think anyone will notice unless they're looking really close. Overall I'm happy with the conversion, there's very few parts of this kit which look overly sci-fi and so it's great for conversions in AoS' high fantasy setting. The sprite from the Glade Guard kit is on a temporary base for painting and will sit on the Prince's base once finished to act as his hunting hawk.

Nomad Prince 01.jpg

Nomad Prince 02.jpg

Nomad Prince 03.jpg

Nice! I'm sorely tempted to start a skirmish wanderers/wood elves warband as well. Skirmish seems to fit them perfectly. And those hero models :x

Looking forward to see your warband come together! 

Thanks!

The rest of the stuff I'm planning on using for the skirmish I already painted a while ago (still need to rebase my Glade Guard onto rounds though), I'll post a picture of the group when the Prince is done. 

I did a little work on the Prince at the weekend, I was aiming for a metallic green armour and I'm really happy with how it came out. An olive green/brown base coat followed by silver highlights and a green wash so far, gives a nice metallic shine. I'm gonna do the cloak a red/pink to match my Sisters of the Watch.

Nomad Prince 04.jpg

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing your Prince all put together with his trusty forest Sprite at his side. Really nifty idea to use that glad guard Sprite bit as his eye-thievin' hunting hawk. Only now I can't get the image out of my head of the cute lil' Sprite latching on to some poor enemy hero's face and tearing away at the eyes with his little hands. Brutal. [emoji50]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back!

To coincide with the release of the new edition of 40k I kind of got swept up in the hype and bought and painted a 2000 point army that I will likely not get around to playing very much.

I have a new mission to improve my painting and am planning on focusing on some individual models (from a mix of manufacturers).

I've almost finished the Nomad Prince, I just need some new purple paint to replace my old pot of Liche Purple which has finally given up, pictures to come when finished!

I've also signed up for Armies on Parade 2017, here is the board so far:

59a1a331cf336_Boardwip.jpg.01355f4d22836d5ebcd0c06fcb46703f.jpg

If you saw my Slaanesh demon army in the 1k project thread, my plan is have the Slaanesh symbol (minus the crescent at the top) done in the blue/green chaos corruption I did for the demon bases. The crescent area is going to be a small section of decadent palace within the Realm of Chaos, with a portal at the top of the 'neck' leaking corruption into the world. The corruption will be filled with my Daemonettes streaming out while the central area of the ring will have some Ogors that I painted before. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Ogors dug up some cursed treasure (gold is a big theme for them) which would be in the centre of the ring.

In the palace section will be an agent of Slaanesh, made from a minor conversion of another of the Eldar triumvirate models:

59a1a333640c5_Slaaneshwip.jpg.68bf1d1d54a3e41f2551b639bfceb978.jpg

I've added a longer handle to the weapon, making it a spear, and created a Slaanesh symbol on the chest out of misc bits. I'll chart my progress on this as I go, I'm pretty excited and I hope the vision in my head works out in reality :D

Archived