Soul's Slow intro plog: 31/08/17 - Back again!

Soulsmith

Hold on a bally minute, photographs inbound! So today, with not really that much time needed, I finished one of the riders. No boar done I'm afraid but that really won't take long. Enjoy! They're rubbish because dark and phone, which has washed out it's fair share of detail. The red on the shield was not highlighted but I wanted to get photos snapped anyway, it has since been finished.

First finished front.jpg

First finished rear.jpg

First finished side.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

++EDIT: Updated pics look good ... nearly finished :)

Hmm ... odd the swear filter picked up on the paint pot top type (really wasn't a curse-word!) :$

18 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Wasn't old enough for the original flip tops though!

Heh, fair enough. :) They were nice paints, but repeatedly opening the pots led to a pretty sore thumb. :(  From what I've heard, the current line are rumoured to be made by CDA again ...

18 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

My original washes are generally doing alright though my blacks nearly gone and needs a bit of diluting since it's starting to get thicker.

Oddly, it's the ones I'd never opened (Baal Red & Leviathan Purple - I'd bought the big box of them) that are going on mine ... probably about 30% left now ...

@Ademo Thanks, yeah I wanted the weapons, shield plates and armour to be a bit different. Doesn't come out well due to the low light but the shield plates are rusty with only the edges drybrushed in leadbelcher. The weapon was different as well, with a sparing amount of typhus corrosion to wear down the bit nearest the handle, especially the bright checks (I like my decoration to be dirty, ala warhammer online weapons).

@Cordova Cheers. Yeah it is a little bit sensitive it seems. Well that would make sense, when I restarted my greenskins for AoS I needed to replace a good amount of paint as I was fed up with brute forcing old ones tro work well. I have found all the new recipe ones since the big overhaul to be excellent. 

Hey there folks, back once again with - shock horror- more photographs. Not massive update again but I have the first boar boy entirely finished. The photographs have not got the finished base but it is done now, I wanted to get photographs in decent light. The boar was a pretty simple affair, mostly drybrushes and the odd wash. Most effort really was the tusks and the eyes. All in all I'm pretty happy with it, didn't take me as long as any of my characters which shows but then hopefully they get less attention. I am also glad the checks on teh weapon blade didn't come out too bold.

Finished Boar front.jpg

Finished Boar Side.jpg

@Dez Cheers :) The teeth I find to be really simple and effective, and much easier than the graduating washes I used on my blightkings a while back.

@LordDrakonusThanks, keep up the good work yourself!

@MorghotHah cheers, I think the hardest part really was thinking up a name! Need to design a clan logo now for my banner. Yeah if the boyz follow gorkamorka then the shamans are truly in charge. And let's me combine different groups under one banner easily.

@AdemoLong time coming certainly isn't wrong :P Base will be similar to the shaman. I need to get hold of some sand really to add variety to the cracked earth effect, and some greener grass.

• 1 month later...

Hey there all, cheeky little update just want to say I have moved house, and am internet-less until a week or so from now. I have limited data so I can't really browse but look forward to seeing lots of stuff when I'm able to, and to finally do a lot of catching up for the tale of painters! Unfortunately my painting area isn't particularly sorted and things are busy but soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there everyone! Firstly /profile/1621-double-misfire/" rel="">@Double Misfire, too kind :) So, the boar boyz are super close to done, but I have a battle report to bring you! So really my first ever proper battle and a lot of fun but ultimately a greenskin mincer. It was around 1000 points, my giant stayed home since he is in parts, and replaced with more moonclan grots and a moonclan shaman. I took@

Heroes:

Orruk Warboss - two choppas

Weirdnob

Moonclan Shaman

Units:

10 Ardboyz

60 ish moonclan with spears in two units.

20 moonclan archers

5 boar boyz

His army:

Treelord Ancient (the ranged kind)

3 Kurnoth Hunters with scythes

3 Ranged Hunters

3 Treekin

5 Revenants

10 Dryads

Battle was essentially just kill each other. Deployment ended up as follows:

IMAG0659.jpg

I didn't realise at this point that revenants aren't ranged, so really could have had more on my right. The forests would have likely slowly butchered my army so I avoided them hard.

I basically ran as much as possible along the left fast, and moved the goblins towards the portal to move them somewhere useful. He advanced the treelord and treekin down the center, with the dryads appearing in the forest nearest my goblin archers. The hunters with bows left their building to get in range of my archers and killed 4. The other hunters moved forwards. I killed a single dryad.

Managing to win the second turn initiative and moved my archers towards the portal, the spearmen moving around the right of the portal. My shaman attempted a bad moon on the dryads and fluffed it. The weirdnob did the same with foot of Gork. I gave my boar boyz an extra 1 to hit rolls from my boss, and barreled them into the hunters.

Mistake.

The other orruks hurtled forward (the ardboyz got two fives for the destruction rampaging destroyers). My moonclan skulked through the buildings. In his turn he didn't do much except move towards his hunters. 

IMAG0660.jpg

Cheeky boar boy sneak peek! So in the combat, my boar boyz fluffed it all, though I forgot they were better at hitting. In response, they took 7 wounds. It didn't help that the hunters had a rerollable 3+ save.

Next turn and the night goblins teleport behind the revenants, losing only one to the ether. They manage to do nothing, and the revenants teleport 9 inches from the combat with the hunters. The ardboyz and the boss charge the hunters, with both shamans fluffing their spells. The moonclan continue slogging forwards. The ardboyz and boss together manage to do 6 wounds, breaking down one tree-thing to kindling.

IMAG0661.jpg

Huzzah!

So following this, he charged the moonclan in the buildings with his ancient and treekin, and the shaman with his dryads. The moonclan lost 22, and then the rest disappeared in battleshock. The shaman somehow survived, with two wounds. He did nothing in return however. The ardboyz got wiped out by the hunters, but the revenants failed to charge. He won the next turn, and the ancient moved towards the boss, as did the treekin. The hunters wiped out the boss, and the dryads killed the shaman.

IMAG0662.jpg

This was followed by the ancient doing an unnecessary amount of damage to the weirdnob. The revenants teleporting near my archers, who managed to do one wound. I then rolled to teleport my spearmen, arguing they were running away (Our time was up and I was going to concede anyway). 1 more died in the journey, but otherwise they escaped!

All in all it was fun and I can't fault my opponent. He was friendly and happy to help out, I just think it's fair to say that the newer AoS armies are simply way stronger than anything that isn't. He stated his list is essentially impervious to anything but mortal wounds. Which was why I was trying to pull off bad moon and Foot of Gork, to no avail. I also don't think it works mixing orruks and grots at this point level, there was not much synergy really which seems very important now. All in all, it made me want to play more, and also to get more ironjawz to be a bit more competitive! He said so himself that Gordrakk would be a nasty opponent for his ancient. But otherwise sylvaneth seem rather daunting! Good to get a game in anyway, and I like getting my painted stuff out for people to see. Also was a good table to play on, though the sylvaneth forests really restrict everything.

Hope you all enjoy the read anyway folks, and I might fluff it up for my blog so watch out ;)

SAYYYY WHAATTTTTT

They're finished.

Alright, I'm doing the bases now but I couldn't resist taking photos for you all. I had to fiddle to make the photos look alright as the light is gone for the day. Hope you enjoy! Sorry it took me an atrociously long time, but multiple mini breaks and moving will do that to you.Finished Front.jpg

Finished Shields.jpg

Bit blurry next, didn't realise :S

Finished Rear.jpg

Sword details.jpgBanner details.jpg

All in all I'm pretty happy. I'll refine my metal next time as it's probably what I like least. May experiment doing it all the way I paint the rusted metal on their shields. After that game I am not fussed painting my moonclan as tehy were pretty rubbish and i'm focusing on my ironjawz. My friend next month is commissioning me some napoleonic orcs from some other company, and I'll be using that to grab start collecting: Ironjawz. But for now, I'll finish that banner bearer and start on ardboyz.

Wooo three posts in a row.

Finished fully, bases and all.

IMAG0687.jpg

IMAG0688.jpg

IMAG0689.jpg

IMAG0690.jpg

IMAG0691.jpg

IMAG0692.jpg

Feel free to C&C :) Also excited as The Stronghold's competition is up. I'd love to win, as buying new stuff is not very possible right now but hey, if you're on there head over and see who tickles your fancy.

Archived