Soul's Slow intro plog: 31/08/17 - Back again!

Soulsmith

That drybrushed and glazed skin looks excellent and is such an effective way to get major progress going.

And it's always possible to go back later and add more paint after the entire army is done, if the devil takes you ;)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm about to paint my first army (painted a few test models from the aos starter I got separately and cheap to learn the ropes). Can you give me a run down or a link to the colours/technique used here on your last models skin? Your skin looks really good and I'm interested in not spending ages on it haha.

@mrstimpson38 Hey buddy, basecoating their armour right now, skin is finished as is the black cloth of their trousers. A bit light on the progress but last week I was away from my home. Once the metal is done though it will be the home stretch, I'm hoping drybrushing and careful washes for patterns will make the boars really fast.

@Emicus Thanks a lot :) yeah it was way faster than the layers I used on the shaman and banner bearer. But then characters should look better :P Haha I plan on keeping things moving forwards, you wait til next month of the tale!!

@Riavan Hey there! Welcome to the hobby. For the boar boyz skin I used a speedy version of my usual character's recipe. After a spray of black primer (I use citadel), give all the skin a basecoat layer of Waaagh flesh. This will need about two coats to be really solid, remember to keep your paints mixed with a dash of water so they perform optimally. After this, drybrush all the flesh with Warboss Green. Try and keep the brush going back and forth in the plane opposite the direction of the muscles, so that you dont paint in the cracks. I would usually do a 50/50 warboss and waaagh layer beforehand, but this is all about speed. Then give it a wash of green (mine is thraka green because it's old). After this, give the flesh a final highlight of Skarsnik Green. Make sure to keep this watered down a tad and light on the brush. I have it too heavy on certain places and I don't like it. To fix that, I gave it several wash green layers to calm it down.  I'd advise giving everywhere but the face a green wash to finish, so the face is the focus. The lower lip I give a highlight of skarsnik green (in the characters I mixed warboss and kislev flesh), and then give this a few washes in purple (mine is old again, so leviathan). This gives them their purple lips. For any flesh in the mouth like tongues, I do them red gore (old paints...), a highlight of Wazdakka, and then a couple purple washes. 

If you want anymore tips and recipes just let me know, either here or pm! Always happy to help, lemme know how it goes. When the metal is finished I will post an update photograph. When they're finished I'll give them some fluff on my blog.

EDIT: Yey we cracked 2 pages :)

Camo Shade is what I would go for. I am using the old Thraka Green which is a greenier green, more like biel-tan. When this runs out I may purchase both Biel-tan green and camoshade to see which I prefer in the process, the added yellow of camoshade may work great. Even better, biel-tan post warboss and camoshade at the end... The cogs are whirring!

One of the best thing about greenskins is the shade of green is entirely up to you. You could even vary them in one unit, so use whichever wash you like. If you wanted to match mine, it's biel-tan basically. But I would suggest giving it a go with camoshade.

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

Camo Shade is what I would go for. I am using the old Thraka Green which is a greenier green, more like biel-tan. When this runs out I may purchase both Biel-tan green and camoshade to see which I prefer in the process, the added yellow of camoshade may work great. Even better, biel-tan post warboss and camoshade at the end... The cogs are whirring!

One of the best thing about greenskins is the shade of green is entirely up to you. You could even vary them in one unit, so use whichever wash you like. If you wanted to match mine, it's biel-tan basically. But I would suggest giving it a go with camoshade.

Thanks. That seems to be what the painting guide kind of goes with too. I'm a bit concerned about painting them too bright. Did you say earlier you use a gloss of some kind too or did I imagine that?

@Soulsmith - How have I not commented here yet? Some great work in here, looks like it's all coming along nicely.

You're also right in what you say about painting Orruk flesh. Unfortunately for me I had a method I used on my 40k and GorkaMorka Orks which I just stuck with - almost out of habit. Its 11-13 layers, half of which are completely unnecessary and has some odd colour choices + mixes. Sure it looks fine but I know if I was a bit savvy I could've got similar results for much less effort!

I currently use Biel-tan (is that the current one?), but I do think camoshade would produce some nice results.

Anyway, keep it coming - more pics please!! :D 

I actually use a dark metal in my forces. What I do is many, many black washes over warplock bronze. It's still slightly metallic and oily but very dark. Otherwise I would advise heavily controlled drybrushes over black and then black washes to even it out.

It does, takes an extra coat but really you can keep shading down til it's as dark as you like, I usually leave mine as a very dark bronze, then I drybrush from the edges it would wear in leadbelcher. The wash again in black, then highlight and scratch up in runefang (the new range metallics with the white caps are absolutely spoiling us, metallics have never been so great!) When you do other parts in washed leadbelcher to look silver, it does look a lot brighter, check the banner bearer to see what I mean! Also the method makes wearing checked patterns down to look less clean a doddle.

The pigs are awaiting a final layer of liquid greenstuff to really plug the line along their spines, which is the most heinous of them. I have filled the neck a good amount but the rest will mostly be hidden in the fur and drybrushing. Just got to force myself to finish the warplock basecoat, I hate basecoating. Realistically though with the metal, skin, and trousers done it's only details left so I should just do it.

EDIT: Could a mod move this to painting section please? Seems everyone's putting theirs there now and I feel odd disturbing the rules flow posts of the destruction sub.

1717a9b6f96abddce2ac3a64c1063b22.jpg

Hey there everyone, tiny update but I've finished all the metal armour on the boar boys. Took longer than I would have liked but finally it's done! The photo doesn't really show the effect of drybrushing leadbelcher over the dark washed warplock, but I'll get better close ups when they're finished. Final push, but will probably come early month 2 of tales. Skin will need cleaning up from the drybrushing, but that's can wait till I've done everything else now, I will no doubt ****** up a strap somewhere. Enjoy!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to tease you all with a new post, but I just want to let you know they're nearly done. No photos as it's horrible weather and I can't get decent lighting. I realised that batch painting detail is slowly killing my soul, so I am going to finish them one at a time now. It's just weapons and teeth/claws to go!

Yeah they're getting there, getting one fully finished will help. If I can get them done in a day or so, maybe Monday, then by the end of the week the banner bearer will be done and I'll start on grots. Those should go fast, I won't be batching the grots as I'm doing them a mix of red, black, and cream cloths. They're such small and simple miniatures I will get them done super fast though. Might batch paint all the skin when I finish the clothing.

Nice work there! :) I have a soft-spot for the boarboyz, because who can't love an orc on a pig..?!  Really need to get around to painting mine (I might have 15 of them... :$), but have burnt out painting green from my Salamanders Space Marines. :(

Btw, those black flip-tops aren't the original ones ... there were black ******-tops before them (which were awful), and before them there were slightly soft hexagonal pots with white flip-tops, and before them there were round flip-tops (like the ones Forgeworld powders come in) ... the white flip-tops had a different formulation (apparently they were made by Coat D'Arms, and can still be bought).  I still have >30 pots of the white flip-tops from the early 1990's which are still like new (unlike all of the later ******-tops/hybrid flip-tops, which I've had almost all dry out - even some of the orignal washes... :().  I now feel old... :$

Thanks, yeah I can imagine, Though I think painting the skin might be my favourite part! And yeah, none of the ****** topped pots survived this long however :P Wasn't old enough for the original flip tops though! My original washes are generally doing alright though my blacks nearly gone and needs a bit of diluting since it's starting to get thicker.

Archived