Soul's Slow intro plog: 31/08/17 - Back again!

Soulsmith

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I especially love the gory banner and the dude playing the drum on the boar. Hopefully will be able to get up to GW to see them in person in next few days. Life/work has been so busy lately so painting to a deadline has be hard for me too - especially as I'd run out of minis I'd painted previously!

On 25/03/2017 at 8:11 PM, Nick in York said:

I especially love the gory banner and the dude playing the drum on the boar. Hopefully will be able to get up to GW to see them in person in next few days. Life/work has been so busy lately so painting to a deadline has be hard for me too - especially as I'd run out of minis I'd painted previously!

Thanks, yeah it was a bit of a struggle. Cheeky, everything was meant to be unpainted at the start of each heat ;)

Also as a general update, it's onto the display board! I have never done this before so it will be interesting, planning on getting some foam and building up a cliff section with a plateau, then glueing it to a base board of wood, which I will time permitting make a dry riverbed on. And will use some foam to make a ruined building with a wooden watchtower built ontop of, using some bits and bobs of wood from local craft shops. Will be a bit of a learning experience im sure, will need to pick up some supplies like sand and paint more appropriate for larger surfaces! Hoping to not spend too much though. Any tips or help would be much appreciated!

Also turns out my boar boyz won me it, which makes a solid 3/4 wins. Pretty astounding really, feels great to feel the work appreciated and really does mean a lot. I think with the way the store is scoring it it means I am now the winner as I am unreachable on the points. Not that I am risking not taking in a display board ;)

6 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Cheeky, everything was meant to be unpainted at the start of each heat ;)

When Scott first talked to me about entering he said that I could enter stuff I'd already painted but I'd not get all the marks. Tbh, the only thing I entered which were completely finished before the competition was the branchwych. Although Treelord Ancient and Durthu were almost done.

4 minutes ago, Nick in York said:

When Scott first talked to me about entering he said that I could enter stuff I'd already painted but I'd not get all the marks. Tbh, the only thing I entered which were completely finished before the competition was the branchwych. Although Treelord Ancient and Durthu were almost done.

Ah fair enough, I guess the sheets to have the painting section so makes sense. Hey I'm happy you did I've enjoyed seeing your entries :) I had the banner bearer's body done last year, just not either arms or banner.

Not sure I can help much on display board. I've got 2 wyldwoods done but drying after a second sealing layer of PVA. I've been watching terrain tutor youtube vids. Still need to get my board and am thinking of saving time by covering it with ready flocked sheets/mats that they sell in the model railway shops. They I can put the wyldwoods and other trees on top. Won't be winning standard but my aim is for it all to be useful for using in games etc.

Yeah I think I need to go to Monkbar model shop and check mats maybe to see if I can speed things up. And I am a bit skint :P There isn't I don't think anything extra for winning the boards I believe from what they have said.

Also has Scott chatted to you about the small narrative escalation league planned for end of May/June? It sounds fantastic.

3 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Also has Scott chatted to you about the small narrative escalation league planned for end of May/June? It sounds fantastic.

No he hasn't. I might be interested in that. I need to get more games in - feel like I need to practice as I'm terrible at remembering all the rules! Not the best for a Sylvaneth player!

14 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

will need to pick up some supplies like sand and paint more appropriate for larger surfaces! Hoping to not spend too much though. Any tips or help would be much appreciated!

I'd suggest a healthy dose of Terrain Tutor and other YouTubers. :)  For ruined wooden buildings, lollipop sticks or balsa wood dowels and a craft knife are your friend (there are also pre-made ones available). :)  In terms of mats, Javis make pre-flocked/textured ones - they're less than £10 for a 48"x24" one (example) - add some static grass tufts or flowers to taste (have a look at the Gamer's Grass and Tajima1 ones) and you're good to go.  Oh, and painting large surfaces?  Airbrush, if you can get your hands on one (I'm guessing you could probably get away with Vallejo Model Colour paints then, as they are pretty thick and dilute very well..?). :) 

14 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Also turns out my boar boyz won me it, which makes a solid 3/4 wins. 

Go boarboyz! :D

Oh man. It was awesome to catch up on this blog. That banner is top notch. Digging the detail on all the baubles. The savages turned out great as well. Really love that you showed how messy/free-form their warpaint application would really be. And the handprint on the behind... had me giggling for a bit. Grats on the Warchanter win as well. Well deserved.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, mrstimpson38 said:

Oh man. It was awesome to catch up on this blog. That banner is top notch. Digging the detail on all the baubles. The savages turned out great as well. Really love that you showed how messy/free-form their warpaint application would really be. And the handprint on the behind... had me giggling for a bit. Grats on the Warchanter win as well. Well deserved.

Thanks :) there are some bits and bobs on the banner I would like to redo or finish up as I had to rush it out towards the end. Not to toot my own horn but the spider and those savages won as well :P

Very nice man. I must have skipped a page or two at the end of the blog. Well deserved, well deserved. More Destruction in the pipeline, or is that Chaos Hero a sign that you're going full-bore on a Chaos army? Mono-God/Faction, or Grand Alliance?

Very nice man. I must have skipped a page or two at the end of the blog. Well deserved, well deserved. More Destruction in the pipeline, or is that Chaos Hero a sign that you're going full-bore on a Chaos army? Mono-God/Faction, or Grand Alliance?

Still plenty of destruction to do. I'm taking a break to paint up the magister for my next force which will be pure disciples of tzeentch. Just need a break from my greenskins colour scheme. Also working on a display board for said destruction. Though I will be painting more tzeentch during may for a campaign at the end so not sure how much ironjawz I'll get done! To round out my 1k list I need to do:

10 brutes
6 ardboyz
1 megaboss

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there all! Next update: Legions of Legend has ended, and I am victorious! Already posted my display board before in the April thread, but here is a pic of it in store for the final day of the competition! It came second, very fairly to a great Sylvaneth one. Also included: Me with the store's Slayer Sword, now mine for the year. Also won a framed artwork, of which I chose Mannfred from the End Times, as it's more artsy and mostly monochrome and that fits my other artworks.

So, whilst the ironjawz are still in the works, my next main thing is Disciples of Tzeentch! Starting a month from now is an escalation league, and I get paid at the end of April so I will be buying them then and furiously painting. Until then, I'll see if I can get a brute or two done :) Enjoy guys, gals, and greenskins.

Legion of Legend.jpg

17861809_1291278480950622_7858744465707930757_n.jpg

Hey there all! Next update: Legions of Legend has ended, and I am victorious! Already posted my display board before in the April thread, but here is a pic of it in store for the final day of the competition! It came second, very fairly to a great Sylvaneth one. Also included: Me with the store's Slayer Sword, now mine for the year. Also won a framed artwork, of which I chose Mannfred from the End Times, as it's more artsy and mostly monochrome and that fits my other artworks.

So, whilst the ironjawz are still in the works, my next main thing is Disciples of Tzeentch! Starting a month from now is an escalation league, and I get paid at the end of April so I will be buying them then and furiously painting. Until then, I'll see if I can get a brute or two done [emoji4] Enjoy guys, gals, and greenskins.
58f380533d01a_LegionofLegend.jpg.b166c204d3bdf4aa8bd2c0b062e590ec.jpg
17861809_1291278480950622_7858744465707930757_n.jpg.09dcb6691496b83e27de6f207d51b91c.jpg

Well done fella!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Guess who!

So, I have a deadline of the 11th of September, as I am heading to Nottingham with some mates and I know they prefer painted on their tables. So, I have to get the ironjawz done! Due to points changes, I am shelving the ardboyz, replacing them and the ironfist with gore gruntas and a grot shaman.

So now I have to finish:
1 megaboss, 10 brutes, 3 gore gruntas, 1 shaman. All close to start/middle of painting. The brutes nearly have their armour done. No pictures as yet, but I can start batch painting everything together as I got modelling and priming done today. I wanted the megaboss to be a bit unique as there are so many (fantastic) megabosses out there. Totally not an original idea, I think I saw it first on here close to the forums beginning, but here we have my megaboss. Why have one skull when you can have two!
IMAG0910.jpg.89e4a860a82e912a89a919fa8f4bec31.jpgIMAG0911.jpg.dd343a9edf2f0eddce95ef8b2c49cf00.jpg

So as you can see, it is the dragon skull from the gargant's club, cut and shaved down, with greenstuff straps. Honestly my first go at sculpting and I am happy with it, the indents in the middle look far deeper on here than in person, promise! When it is cured I will neaten the edges with my knife.

Also, since I was in store and felt like hanging around since the regulars were in, I decided to test scheme some Nurgle stuff, as I may be getting the poxy half of blightwar, which with my end times 500 points army will make a decent enough force for aos. I originally did my mortals classic nurgle colours, using duncans tutorial on blightkings. But I am thinking of doing rust armour (using stippling), so the brighter colours I want offset with darker skin. So I wanted to test how grey worked, and I am rather pleased with it. Though I should in future finish the skin before washes, as the drybrush highlight ruined them and they need redoing. I will be trying pre-shading as well when I get round to doing my own, but here are some photos:

IMAG0908.jpg.e16f22a8170b5cebe4373393f6b23419.jpgIMAG0909.jpg.5a07fd17cf4de2070fc59445efecbd80.jpg

Headed home before finishing, so bone and cloth have only a basecoat, and leather belt is unpainted. But I was really just doing skin and metal anyway. I am pleased with it, very fast to do, so a horde of plaguebearers wouldn't be a problem! Would want to try mixing some red in the grey for things like under bellies, give the skin some depth. Enjoy folks.

Great work man! Shame to miss you at WHW! will have to try and get to the same event some time in the future.

Megaboss looks great - that extra skull gives him a bulkier profile which I'm a big fan of ?

Awesome nurgle guy too! Hoping to get the hunters from the set myself.

3 hours ago, Ademo said:

Great work man! Shame to miss you at WHW! will have to try and get to the same event some time in the future.

Megaboss looks great - that extra skull gives him a bulkier profile which I'm a big fan of ?

Awesome nurgle guy too! Hoping to get the hunters from the set myself.

Very true, maybe someone can knock out a tga brawl! Thanks, I certainly prefer it over the bloodletter skull. Nice, would like to see how you handle stormcast, going with your usual colourful style?

3 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Very true, maybe someone can knock out a tga brawl! Thanks, I certainly prefer it over the bloodletter skull. Nice, would like to see how you handle stormcast, going with your usual colourful style?

Actually planning on the opposite! Pale white gold armour - need to try a few practice pieces ?

9 hours ago, Malakree said:

Hey dude, just wanted to say that I saw your weirdnob a few days before starting mine and it inspired me on how to do his robes which then snowballed into the entire thing. 

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Reveal hidden contents

Weirdlolly Shaman.jpg

Thanks man! Means a lot to know I could have helped in some small way. Really nice blends, especially the smoke!

Archived