Soul's Slow intro plog: 31/08/17 - Back again!

Soulsmith

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long time no post! I have been busy with my skink (see my blog) for a competition. I probably won't get much done over the holidays but I am going to try playing with my new shiney:

IMAG0741.jpg

So the story goes, I was playing MtG Draft with some friends, and drew a card worth around £80-100 (for those interested, a Kaladesh Masterpiece Sol Ring). I managed to get £50 and the arachnarok, and as he has lost the shaman (everything else is included but not pictured), he threw in the unopened shaman and big boss. Real win considering the draft cost me around £11, and I still got a deck too. I don't think I will use that shaman as the one for the catchweb shrine. I have an older metal goblin shaman that I would say that model is based off (left hand staff with a animal skull, right hand with knife aloft). That, or I am thinking of getting the more recent goblin shaman, that looks incredibly old, bent over leaning on his staff with sunken eyes.

For colour scheme, I am toying around with painting it more natural colours like a garden spider, since my forces are very natural colours, browns, blacks, metals. That way the green goblins and red decoration will pop more too. I would like to try some patterns too, probably stencilling these with my airbrush. That or I will research tarantulas and find some cool colour patterns. 

16 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

I am toying around with painting it more natural colours like a garden spider, since my forces are very natural colours, browns, blacks, metals. That way the green

Wat about the black spider with the Red Cross. That's very ominous but still natural. 

4 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

I did consider it, but I wonder whether it would be too much black? It might make it seem dull instead, and the howdah covers a significant part of the back. I'm always up for suggestions though :)

Dind;t think of the platform. That would cover it right up haha xD

• 2 weeks later...

9d0b16475ace59da6c5c0deaec9c6f94.jpg4f5fd3557e39d2f65f1da79bcac360de.jpga4a2571c929b51b9a2fcc15154755edb.jpg

Hi everybody, hope the holidays have treated you well. I haven't got too much done, especially since my first airbrush broke finishing the arachnaroks basecoat. But the new one was speedily delivered, and the legs are now finished! Learning a whole lot using it, and its good fun. I am very happy with the blending, even though the camera doesn't capture it well. It's a basecoat of 1/1 doombull brown/wazdakka red, then pure wazdakka, then evil sunz scarlet. The legs highlight out from the centre, so the ends get brighter, as well as the ridges along the top. I think I will give it a red wash when all the plates are done to define it. So next will be the thorax and head, with the legs taped off, and finally the abdomen, which will get a pattern but I'm not yet sure what. Maybe the same gradual red highlight up from black as the legs, with black patterns stenciled on top. We shall see. Whether I finish it soon or later depends on how much I get done once I return home from my parents, might not be able to spray for a bit and I have legion of legends coming up, which is going to first be a warchanter.

@Soulsmith - Hey man, finally caught up on this. Been ages since I checked this out...mostly as I don't like having pics on my screen whilst at work and I'm too busy for TGA in the evenings and weekends. Thankfully, there's hardly anyone in here today, so I've had a good look (even though some links are still broken, same as my thread).

Anyway, its all really good man. Love those Boar Boyz, you've done and great job and I don't think I've ever properly look at those models. Think I may have to now. Basing is cool as well!!

Arachnarok is coming along nicely, can't wait to see that bad boy finished up. Also, amazing story with the MtG draft. My best draft story is getting Umezawa's Jitte on a 2nd pick back in the day!!! Mental.

Keep up the good work though bro, I'll try and keep a closer eye on the thread.

Chris

No worries buddy, shame about the broken links but there isn't much worth seeing pre boar boyz. Thanks a lot, I've been enjoying painting more and more than I used to, I think it comes from the satisfaction of being able to paint to a standard I am happy with. Whilst the boar boyz aren't too strong in game they do look cool at least.
I'll try and smash out the arachnarok, the howdah and goblins I don't imagine taking too long since they aren't that complex really, though I have to decide on the shaman. I also have an objective marker planned using some spares from the kit.
Hah nice, keep it or sell it? Yeah I was very lucky and I much prefer plastic crack to card [emoji12]

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Looking amazing! Sorry it's been a while since I popped in. That spider is looking beautiful! Should toe in with the rest v nicely - I'll be sure to check out the skink too.

As for mtg - it really is amazing the money in pulling the right piece of card - back in bfz we pulled a few of the expedition lands but ploughed the dosh back in to booster boxes!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks [emoji4] no problem, good to have you back! I hope so, might end up using a metal shaman over a decade old. Ah do, I didn't win the competition in the end, but I imagine it was a close one. The winner had free hand, and well, the skink has little opportunity for that!

I'm sure the others would have, we are drafting every new set I think, we may due to my draw be splitting money from selling rates though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

So, I am back, and with another battle under my belt!

So today someone required an opponent at my local, and despite preferring 2000 points, I only have 1000 so they happily scaled down. We played the first battleplan from the stormcasts book, which he was using. It is essentially the stormcasts needing to hold a realmgate which they teleport in around, and I had to deploy first outside a 15 inch bubble from the gate. Whilst in the bubble, the stormcast take no battleshock tests, and the gate counted as inspiring terrain. There was a special rule for totems, though the only on the board was my warchanter and he never ended up near enough to take advantage of it. I would score a major victory if I could wipe him out of the bubble, or if by the fourth turn I had a third more models in the ring. He won by tabling me, or having more models in the circle by turn 4. I was playing a relatively standard ironjawz list , megaboss, warchanter, 10 brutes, 5 brutes, 10 ardboyz, ironfist. He had a lord-celestant on dracoth, a lord-celestant, a lord-relictor, 2 gryph hounds, 10 liberators, 5 judicators with bows and 5 with crossbows.

He managed to roll successfully to teleport everything in turn 1, which he gets automatically due to the battleplan though he cannot move. He places the liberators north of the gate, bowmen on the east, the characters south, and crossbowmen to the west. North-east of the gate was my ardboyz, then moving around the bubble south was the warchanter, megaboss, and 10 brute mob. Opposite, on the west, was the 5 man group.

Turn one he doesn't move much, though takes shots with the ranged units at the brutes facing them. The crossbows manage to kill one orruk, and the archers I think managed only two wounds. In fairness, he rolled horribly. The dracoth's breath similarly did little, I think he missed. I managed to win turn 2 and subsequently piled in, pulling off a waaagh on all but the 5 brute mob, and giving the ten man unit the frenzy from the chanter. The ardboyz charged the liberators, my plan being to tie up his big melee unit whilst the brutes went to work on his army. The ten man brutes piled into the bowmen, and the five man unit into the crossbows. The warchanter lagged behind, and the megaboss fluffed his charge. In combat, the bowmen were hacked down the two (bit of a poor show really!), and the crossbows went down to just the Prime. I think the ardboyz managed to kill a liberator or two, at the cost of a boy. Battleshock went off now problem. He proceeded to take the next turn, Charging the 5 man brutes with the dracoth, and moving the other lord-celestant and gryph hounds into the ten man unit, who suffered horribly from his hammer shooting ability, which I think took down two, and at least another 1 died to the archers in shooting. The dracoth also dealt some damage to the ardboyz and brutes, but I cannot remember the results. In combat, the brutes wiped out the archers, the megaboss piled in to the liberators, and subsequently carved up three of them, the ardboyz took down another one. The dracoth killed two brutes on the west side of the gate.

He won the next turn again, and tried to grind down my units. The ardboyz lost another 3 wounds, and in combat I was really starting to miss my hero abilities. (I may be wrong, but if it isn't my turn, I cannot activate an ability even if it triggers in the combat phase?) The lord-celestant on foot shot the brutes down to 4 men, and then hacked apart another two. The gryph hounds did little. The lord-celestent on dracoth lost 6 wounds to my brutes, but was healed the next turn back to five. The megaboss removed all but two of the liberators from existence, and the warchanter failed to wound.

Once again, in a show of terrible rolling, I lost the priority. Fortunately, he was mostly locked in combat, shooting from the lord-celestant killed another brute, and the dracoth did a wound to the ardboyz (causing a minus 1 to hit, though this was negated by Bellowing Tyrant). The liberators at this point had managed to get the ardboyz down to two (who only survived battleshock due to their banner), but were finished off. The dracoth fluffed most attacks, not managing to kill the final brute. The other lord-celestant also struggled with the brute big boss, who managed to kill him due to a savage boss klaw roll (he managed 5 damage, with the subsequent bashing), though he finished the final gore choppa, and despite being healed by the lord-relictor. The gryph hounds did not much.

IMAG0763.jpg

Some time turn 4.

Finally winning a turn, I moved my brute big boss, megaboss, ardboyz, and warchanter around the realmgate towards the dracoth lord. He was charged by them all sans warchanter, and was finished off in quick fashion by the megaboss. The next turn, despite having a major victory, we played on, ending with my megaboss carving up the lord-relictor, and the remaining brute bosses dining on gryph-flesh.

Major Victory for da Boyz! Dat'll teach dem stinkin' metal humies to fiddle wif our shiny door!All in all it was a fun game, and despite it being my second game and his first, we had a good game. He suffered some terrible dice rolls early on, and I really did some good damage. Colour me impressed with the brutes, the synergy in hero abilities made them monstrous. I think strategy wise he took too many ranged units, which left him weak to my melee heavy force considering the battleplan. Also, I did have to proxy my megaboss with a Borgut Facebeater model, since I don't yet own the plastic megaboss, and my FW big boss who I may consider using as a megaboss is unassembled. I think this led to him not realising quite how threatening it was, and he did little to deal with it. I also did very well out of battleshock, losing a single ardboy to it.

Lessons learnt for me, are that I definitely need a megaboss model ;) Also I will consider remodelling an ardboy to have a second banner in the unit to take advantage of both rules. Stormcast really seemed to suffer from my rend, so I was glad they weren't quite as tough as I had made up in my head!

Also did manage some modelling time pre-match. Having had a great trade with @Mohojoe, I had ten brutes to play with, and as only one had a gorechoppa, I converted another. I don't want any repeat weapons or poses in the unit, so I took one of the repeated boyz and gave him a more relaxed, one-handed pose with a gorechoppa, check it out!

IMAG0764.jpg

I am afraid to say despite a good showing the boyz in blue are going to meet the dreaded dettol soon, and will end up gloriously red and green! I have to say I am greatly looking forward to painting them, I have just over a week to finish the warchanter, who is coming along swimmingly.

Hope you all enjoy the read and happy to hear your thoughts :)

50 minutes ago, Ademo said:

Sweet conversion, really like it - be great to see the front angle, he would look great bellowing or pointing etc!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks :) Im afraid he is doing neither, I don't think modelling a pointing arm would be easy with the kit due to how the arms are posed. I may see if I can replace his head with one yelling. One of the other with the normal pose has the skull mask head form the boar boyz, I may see about swapping them over.

Good evening folks. Quick update here: Warchanter is finished! I will think up some fluff for him soon and expand on what I started all those months ago for the Weirdnob. I also have some story brewing for my next force, which I will also put in my blog. With that said, onwards to photos!

Warchanter.jpg

Here is the photo done by staffer and chum Tom in GW York. He is my first entry into Legions of Legend, filling my criteria for leader. Each three weeks is a new entry, the next being a unit. And every set of entries is judged and a winner is chosen. I am very pleased with how he came out, though I grew very, very tired of painting bone towards the end. Can't complain though as I am proud of the bones themselves, especially with how the focal points of the miniature came out. I mean, sure, plenty of that comes down to the sculpt, but immediately the face and his sticks draw the eye. There were some incredible entries though, including @Nick in York's Treelord Ancient, which is fantastically based. Head on over to GW York's facebook to see them all. I also snapped some pictures alongside the Weirdnob for comparison and to show the colour scheme off more.

WC and WN Front.jpg

WC and WN Back.jpg

Next three weeks I have my blood bowl team to paint for a tourney, and also the next entry. If I find myself swamped with the blood bowl stuff I will try and finish the ardboyz as the entry, otherwise it shall be brutes.

Anyway, enough rambling. C&C welcome, enjoy.

Only just checked, but I WON! I am really surprised and thrilled to be honest. Without blubbing, kind of means a lot, since I didn't feel I could shout about my hobby growing up, as I am sure many can empathise with. So it's great to be recognised I guess. Anyway, it means I got some more photos done in store it seems, so here!

16143784_1202381386506999_2126944683058860370_o.jpg

16177872_1202381606506977_2648586795654892346_o.jpg

16179097_1202381526506985_3741880171417404684_o.jpg

7 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

Congratulations bud! fantastic news! The warchanter came out amazingly, particularly the veins and blending around the mouth. Did you strip the paint first or was this over the top of the existing paint?

Thanks! Nah this is warchanter number one, yours is warchanter number two ;) I definitely can't paint that fast! Also you, in stripping the brutes I caught you and your double undercoat, cheeky ;) Someone attempted green first :P Going to have to think up how to convert the warchanter I got off of you to mix them up a bit, any tips would be appreciated.

Just now, Sangfroid said:

Love the red on the Bashing stix looks really good as does the rest of the model of course :-)

Thanks :) I thought at first to try OSL on them, making them glow-stix, but it was too risky with the time constraints. Seems the hesitancy paid off!

Well deserved win - well done. Was a really good competition with just inder 30 entries. Top 3 and the staff honourable mentions were pretty much as I'd have called them (my honourable mention excepted!).

Haha surreeeee [emoji6] Yours was superb, I honestly expected it to be between you and the magmadroth! I look forward to seeing what you do in three weeks, Kurnoth hunters?

Archived