Events UK: Northern Invasion 2017

@aosbatrep

Morning Stu, my pedanticism (is that even a word?) is getting the better of me and so I have a couple of queries about some of the rules in play at Northern Invasion.

Firstly, regarding House Rule 3. Line of Sight. Just to be clear - if I have 30 Savage orc arrowboys in three ranks of 10, all touching bases, only the first rank can shoot as the other ranks cannot see through the first rank right? If I have a Big Boss sat behind them he is hidden by the arrowboys from enemy units of the same height or less? The Rule then says about missile troops not being able to shoot through - does that apply to non-missile troops e.g. spells (arcane bolt and mystic shield require line of sight).  Some missile units have rules which say they do not require line of sight (trebuchets for e.g.) I presume that although they are missile units they are still OK to shoot over? Personally I think this rule is going to be great fun, but it is going to make a HUGE difference to the game so everyone needs to be clear about it before we get started.

Secondly, Weather table 3. Rolling Ha. I get the 12" visibility and love that too. But as above, some units do not require line of sight - again Trebuchet as example, or Beastclaw Bloodvultures. Can they shoot at targets over 12" away? Some abilities can target units anywhere on table - Stardrake's Rain of Stars springs to mind - can they target units more than 12" away? What about abilities that place a marker more than 12" away and then do area of effect? e.g. Celestant on Dracoth with artefact picks a point (that doesn't have to be in line of sight) within 16" and then has AoE around that. Does it have to be within 12"?

It's getting close now Stu. Looking forward to this. Does being a pernickety ****** increase my chances of getting badge of shame? Hope so, I had it last time!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Soup Dragon said:

Morning Stu, my pedanticism (is that even a word?) is getting the better of me and so I have a couple of queries about some of the rules in play at Northern Invasion.

Firstly, regarding House Rule 3. Line of Sight. Just to be clear - if I have 30 Savage orc arrowboys in three ranks of 10, all touching bases, only the first rank can shoot as the other ranks cannot see through the first rank right? If I have a Big Boss sat behind them he is hidden by the arrowboys from enemy units of the same height or less? The Rule then says about missile troops not being able to shoot through - does that apply to non-missile troops e.g. spells (arcane bolt and mystic shield require line of sight).  Some missile units have rules which say they do not require line of sight (trebuchets for e.g.) I presume that although they are missile units they are still OK to shoot over? Personally I think this rule is going to be great fun, but it is going to make a HUGE difference to the game so everyone needs to be clear about it before we get started.

Secondly, Weather table 3. Rolling Ha. I get the 12" visibility and love that too. But as above, some units do not require line of sight - again Trebuchet as example, or Beastclaw Bloodvultures. Can they shoot at targets over 12" away? Some abilities can target units anywhere on table - Stardrake's Rain of Stars springs to mind - can they target units more than 12" away? What about abilities that place a marker more than 12" away and then do area of effect? e.g. Celestant on Dracoth with artefact picks a point (that doesn't have to be in line of sight) within 16" and then has AoE around that. Does it have to be within 12"?

It's getting close now Stu. Looking forward to this. Does being a pernickety ****** increase my chances of getting badge of shame? Hope so, I had it last time!

Good questions sir. 

First off, all ranks can fire in the same unit as per rules (I suppose they duck).

Providing an opponent ‘s missile troops aren’t bigger than your screen, and the screened unit isn’t taller than the screen, it cannot be targeted for line of sight attacks. Eg my grot screen is rubbish at screening an orruk shaman as he’s bigger and needs orruks or bigger to do the job. If a tree lord is attacking he can see over the screen of grots or orruks so my poor shaman is a  Gonner. 

Same goes for any line of sight attacks or effects. It’s therefore a good move to leave a small gap to allow spells to be cast through your screen which is small enough to minimise the number of enemies that can shoot back through the gap...

secondly, only line of sight effects and attacks are affected - if you could normally hide behind terrain and pick a target/point without los then this can take place in the mist. My grots are great at guessing where the enemy is by sound alone and often attack from behind buildings where they are safe - they still always miss but can attack. In the ha, it is the same.

As ever, the badge will be awarded by an independent 3rd party against anonymised lists. Competition is fierce for the badge but you’ll be in with a shout I reckon ?

i’ll update The faq. 

Edited by @aosbatrep
Further info
  • Like 1

All of the lists are in and are undergoing evaluation. Some stats will be coming to Twitter via @aosbatrep shortly and the draw for round 1 will follow once we get all of the generals names in. 

Scenarios will be drawn at the onset of the week!

for those coming along on Friday night, we will be meeting from 7 and there’ll be pick up games and gryphon-hound racing. If you’re coming, let me know. 

final list below with names of general for each. Draw announced tonight at 2130 via Twitter - @aosbatrep

1. Sir John Harper (Anderos Coldblade)

2. Graeme Davidson (The Lantern)

3. Paul Whitehead (Alexander)

4. Lyndon Sinclair (Alderic Alebeard)

5. Garry Marshall (High Priest Axolottol)

6. Scott Smith (Lord Spleen Sucker)

7. Richard W. Strachan (Gul’nir the Desolate)

8. Liam Watt (Smurfett the Chicken Strangler)

9. Iain Hunter (Torbrex the Timid)

10. Leigh Martin (Tzarkan)

11. Adam Martin (Porky)

12. Nathan Watson (Cluc’knor’ris)

13. Michael Hanns (Silas poxspeaker)

14. Shane Kingston (Frostlord Burnson)

15. Ross Joyce (Almukhtar)

16. Adam Rawson (Drycha)

17. Adam Turner (Ed Winchester)

18. Dave Sweeting (Duke Mortain)

19. Martin Johnstone (Drago Kurgan)

20. Captain Currie (Doc van Puffer)

21. Krzysiek Witkowski (Spaleniak)

22. Christian White (Skull Muncher)

23. Kev Low (Mighty Noobsplitta)

24. Sam Pett (Stettin)

25. Brian Convery (Varandryn)

26. Steven Bell (Foecrusher)

27. Ed Bennet (Swishy McSwishface)

28. Luke Garside (Lukas the Cunning)

29. Gary Pollock (Helmenich Thriceborn)

30. Will Pollock (Warlord Rotfang)

31. Stu Gibson (The Red Lord)

32. Steven McCormick. (Rexxar)

33. David Nemeth (the Twiceborn)

34. K Fekete (Scar Blackbeard)

35. Grant Mudie (Pistolet d’amour)

36. Niall Campbell (Sleekit Beastreaver)

37.  Thane Jamie (Connavar)

38. Mike Callaghan (Morgrim Skulltaker)

39. Lukas Wdowiak (Ragnar Skyforge)

40. Ellis Priestly (Gumby Grokstork)

41. Nicky Myland (Doug the Zugg Zugg)

42. Neil Peckett (Erasmus Stormbound)

43. Trev Moffat (Rursus the Returned)

44. John Craig (Thorc Thorcinson the third)

45. Riyathe Al Janabi (Filthius Maximus)

46. Yahia Al Janabi (Headbanger Numnutz)

3 hours ago, @aosbatrep said:

final list below with names of general for each. Draw announced tonight at 2130 via Twitter - @aosbatrep

1. Sir John Harper (Anderos Coldblade)

2. Graeme Davidson (The Lantern)

3. Paul Whitehead (Alexander)

4. Lyndon Sinclair (Alderic Alebeard)

5. Garry Marshall (High Priest Axolottol)

6. Scott Smith (Lord Spleen Sucker)

7. Richard W. Strachan (Gul’nir the Desolate)

8. Liam Watt (Smurfett the Chicken Strangler)

9. Iain Hunter (Torbrex the Timid)

10. Leigh Martin (Tzarkan)

11. Adam Martin (Porky)

12. Nathan Watson (Cluc’knor’ris)

13. Michael Hanns (Silas poxspeaker)

14. Shane Kingston (Frostlord Burnson)

15. Ross Joyce (Almukhtar)

16. Adam Rawson (Drycha)

17. Adam Turner (Ed Winchester)

18. Dave Sweeting (Duke Mortain)

19. Martin Johnstone (Drago Kurgan)

20. Captain Currie (Doc van Puffer)

21. Krzysiek Witkowski (Spaleniak)

22. Christian White (Skull Muncher)

23. Kev Low (Mighty Noobsplitta)

24. Sam Pett (Stettin)

25. Brian Convery (Varandryn)

26. Steven Bell (Foecrusher)

27. Ed Bennet (Swishy McSwishface)

28. Luke Garside (Lukas the Cunning)

29. Gary Pollock (Helmenich Thriceborn)

30. Will Pollock (Warlord Rotfang)

31. Stu Gibson (The Red Lord)

32. Steven McCormick. (Rexxar)

33. David Nemeth (the Twiceborn)

34. K Fekete (Scar Blackbeard)

35. Grant Mudie (Pistolet d’amour)

36. Niall Campbell (Sleekit Beastreaver)

37.  Thane Jamie (Connavar)

38. Mike Callaghan (Morgrim Skulltaker)

39. Lukas Wdowiak (Ragnar Skyforge)

40. Ellis Priestly (Gumby Grokstork)

41. Nicky Myland (Doug the Zugg Zugg)

42. Neil Peckett (Erasmus Stormbound)

43. Trev Moffat (Rursus the Returned)

44. John Craig (Thorc Thorcinson the third)

45. Riyathe Al Janabi (Filthius Maximus)

46. Yahia Al Janabi (Headbanger Numnutz)

We have plenty of new players coming along so it should be fun and relaxed for everyone. We have just held the draw on Twitter so you can learn a little about your opponent’s list by looking at my account @aosbatrep. 

Here’s the short version with names only:

E6123AE8-916A-4AED-AB4C-017D93994174.jpeg

Edited by @aosbatrep

Really looking forward to Saturday. The use of the open war cards is a pretty unique and entertaining option. Hype been building all weekend. The Scottish WhatsApp has barely stopped. Great Stuff. Looks like it'll be even better than last year and that was a pretty high set bar already. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, yarrickson said:

Really looking forward to Saturday. The use of the open war cards is a pretty unique and entertaining option. Hype been building all weekend. The Scottish WhatsApp has barely stopped. Great Stuff. Looks like it'll be even better than last year and that was a pretty high set bar already. 

Thanks. I’m Looking forward to it but really wish I were playing. 

Hopefully everyone gets into the spirit, embracing the randomness, and has a good day  ?