2000 - Mortals of Khorne/Brass stampede

CATS

New to AoS, and making my preliminary list, have already had some advice on it, but more never hurts. Plan is to use archaon´s command ability to trigger the command abilities of every other hero unit, this way buffing the ****** out of my bloodreavers. While enemies are tied up with my reavers, cavalry flanks, and varanguard taking on big enemies and hero units. Lemme know what you think!

Alliegance
Mortals of Khorne - 1980pts

Leader
Archaon, The Everchosen [320pts]
General
Aspiring Deathbringer [80pts]
Goreaxe & Skullhammer
Bloodsecrator [120pts]
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut [140pts]

Battleline
Bloodreavers [60pts]
10x Bloodreavers, Hornblowers, Icon Bearers, Meatripper Axe
Bloodreavers [60pts]
Bloodreavers [60pts]
Bloodreavers [60pts]

Other
Mighty Skullcrushers [320pts]
Bloodglaive, Hornblowers, 6x Mighty Skullcrushers, Standard Bearers
Mighty Skullcrushers [160pts]
Bloodglaive, Hornblowers, 3x Mighty Skullcrushers, Standard Bearers
Varanguard [360pts]
3 Varanguard, Enscrolled Weapons

Battalion
Battalion: Brass Stampede [80pts]

Hi and welcome to AoS! Couple of things first, Blades of Khorne changed some of the costs and effects of Khorne models, I say some, but they are a lot ;)So I'll be the first to point out that Bloodreavers cost 70 points now. In addition Blades of Khorne almost allows this army to be a Khorne Alliance army, barring the Varanguard who do not have the Khorne Keyword.

Personally I'd settle for a list without Varanguard and simply max out on the Brass Stampede. There is at least one thing this list is missing and that's a Bloodsecrator.

Feel free to give a suggestion what you want to do visually with this army. Perhaps your local playing group doesn't mind you playing with old costs and warscrolls but I know most players prefer the updated variants.

Thanks for the input, archaon, the everchosen can mark the varanguard as khorne, but this would mean using a legacy warscroll, no? I dont plan on playing in any tournaments or anything. I created the list in battlescribe, maybe i should update it for the changes :D Also, there is a bloodsecrator there, although hes good at hiding.

Just to be sure you understand, you cannot take Khorne allegiance with Varanguard.  They receiver their Khorne keyword during the game from Archaon, not at deployment, so they cannot be Khorne allegiance.  Note that this is different from units like Chaos Warriors, Knights, and other slaves to darkness units which receive their keywords in advance.

Your list has a lot of drops for a Khorne army in my opinion.  By that I mean you have 9 seperate deployment drops which is going to leave you at the mercy of opponent a lot of the time as to who goes first.  Khorne allegiance offers a great deal of battalions to us with a great variety to help us get the upper hand on deployment.  If your opponent goes first against this list you've built, between ranged attacks, spells, and battleshock, most of your bloodreaver units will be gone before your first turn.

The Brass Stampede is a solid choice, and you filled it out nicely here.  I'd further suggest you squeeze a Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut in there as he's a beast and can be in the battalion.  What I feel you lack is the ability to control the table enough to get the most out of your Brass Stampede.  This comes down to the fact that bloodreavers are horrible for locking things down.  You need Bloodwarriors or Chaos Warriors here in my opinion.

Ah, i see, pretty confusing this, out of the door with varanguard and archaon then. I also dropped out the bloodreavers and took 2 units of chaos warriors, more skullcrushers, and a unit of blood warriors just to fill out the remaining points. Theres still quite a few drops in there, are each hero unit a single drop then?

• Leader

• Aspiring Deathbringer [80pts]

Aspiring Deathbringer, Goreaxe & Skullhammer

• Bloodsecrator [120pts]

• Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut [140pts]

• Mighty Lord of Khorne [140pts]

• General
  • Battleline

• Blood Warriors [100pts]

5x Blood Warriors, Goreaxe and Gorefist, Icon Bearers

• Chaos Warriors [360pts]

2x 10 Chaos Warriors

• Other

• Mighty Skullcrushers [320pts]

• Battalion

• Battalion: Brass Stampede [80pts]

I'd personally aim at trying to get another battalion in there for the sake of lowering your drops down a bit.  5 Blood Warriors isn't going to do much either.  I'd go with either chaos warriors or bloodwarriors, not both.

Perhaps it'd help a bit if you let us know what models you currently own, and what you're overall goals are.  Is this list for a tournament?  Is it casual?  highly competitive?  Is Brass Stampede the main thing you're going for here?

Here's a look at one of my lists I run often, maybe it'll help you get some ideas.  It is 3 deployment drops.  It's not highly competitive, but it certainly brings the pain and functions just fine for most games.  There are small tweaks that can be made to make it more competitive such as dropping one of the slaughterpriests for another Bloodsecrator and/or dropping most the bloodwarriors in favor of a unit of 30 Bloodletters.

Allegiance: Khorne
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Bloodstoker (80)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (320)
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (160)
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (160)
Brass Stampede (80)
Gore Pilgrims (80)

Total: 1980/2000

I currently own none of the miniatures, thats why im making the list first, so as not to buy anything i dont need. I have a box of varanguard, but thats it, and since theyre out the door :P Ill grab a box of skullcrushers next week, and start slow. The list is gonna be mostly casual play against my roommate, and maybe in a local wargaming club. And yeah, brass stampede as a core for the army, i fell in love with the design aesthetics of the models, and they seem all around skullcrushy

If you really like Brass Stampede I'd consider this as a nice outcome:

Brass Stampede 80
Khorne Lord on Juggernaut 140
Khorne Lord on Juggernaut 140
Bloodsecrator 120 
Bloodsecrator 120
Bloodsecrator 120
Bloodstoker 80
6x Skullcrushers 320
3x Skullcrushers 160
3x Skullcrushers 160
3x Skullcrushers 160
3x Skullcrushers 160
3x Skullcrushers 160
3x Skullcrushers 160

Though you really have to like them ;) 

So did some playing around more and this is what i came up with, dont think ill change much around before actually getting more into the gaming side of things. Best part about this list is i can get most of the models just by buying 3 of the start collecting boxes!

Mortals of Khorne [1940pts]

Leader

Aspiring Deathbringer [80pts]

Bloodaxe & Wrath-hammer

Bloodsecrator [120pts]

Bloodsecrator [120pts]

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut [140pts]

General

Battleline

Blood Warriors [200pts]

10x Blood Warriors, Goreglaive, Icon Bearers, Paired Goreaxes

Blood Warriors [200pts]

Blood Warriors [200pts]

Other

Battalion

Battalion: Brass Stampede [80pts]

2 hours ago, CATS said:

Hella good point, so he can also give +1 to attack? i read something like this online but his warscroll doesnt state it in itself, so its a bit confusing.

That he can't do, though what he can do is ensure charges, which to me is worth more as a potential small bubble of extra attacks (potential because you need to use Blood Tithe points for it). 

The prime reason why I'd consider him over the Aspiring Deathbringer is because of personal offense. You can either equip him with Mark of the Destroyer (and double all his Melee attacks, ALL) or Talisman of burning blood and increase runs and charges.

The Aspiring Deathbringer is a good Hero at lower points for General purposes. If Battalions require him, it isn't like you are handicapped. However if you have the points left, the Aspiring Deathbringer isn't your General and you can include a Mighty Lord of Khorne you will not be dissapointed.
One of the biggest downside of the Aspiring Deathbringer is that he has no Rend, essentially has a good Command Ability but if you can't use it simply isn't worth the 'effort'.

Many other Heroes we have do have Rend, do have a purpose next to a Command Ability and thus are often slightly more expensive. Though again if you have the points left that's no concern. In this case it means you have a very potent first wave in Skullcrushers and second wave in Blood Warriors, which will work out.

12 minutes ago, CATS said:

ahh, makes sense! thanks again for all the help youve given, my list would be in a sorry state without you!

Nahh youll be good, going for what you like is the most important part. Sometimes it just helps to fill in the blank spots.

Blades of Khorne has a ton of units that are multiples of 100, 140 or 180 and a handful of 80 point and 120 point models. So most of the time it shouldnt be too difficult to fill in 2000/2000 points and usually it's better aswell.

If you have 20-ish points left you wouldnt notice the difference too much but at 40-80 you most certainly will. 

Archived