My AOS Skirmish Review

page 16. allegiance abilities.

ALLEGIANCE ABILITIES

Every warband owes allegiance to one of the Grand Allianceseither ORDER,CHAOS,DEATH or DESTRUCTIONThe units you choose to make up your warband may make it eligible for

allegiance abilities from number of different sources,such as battletomes and the General’sHandbook.

However, in Skirmishbattle, your warband can only use the allegiance abilities of the Grand Alliance from which they hail.

it doesnt say you can use anything from a battletome, it says the opposite, actually.

they can use the abilities from grand alliances that are on ghb. 

from GHB:

ALLEGIANCE ABILITIES

From powerful command traits to arcane items of incredible power,this section provides new rules for your Order,Chaos,Destruction and Death armies.

from Order abilities:

This section describes the allegiance abilities available to an Order army,including battletraits for the army,command traits for its general and themagical artefacts available to its heroes.

On 2017-5-29 at 9:00 AM, Thomas Lyons said:

Technically, all of those Pink Horrors are from the same Warscroll (since you can only take one of each war scroll), so they collectively can only cast one spell per round.  Alternatively, it would be very easy to rule that only the Champion gains the ability to cast spells.

Correspondingly, I think a case can be made that since all models of the same type are from the same war scroll (since they have to obey weapon restrictions as per a single war scroll), I think it makes sense to grant them the ability for having larger numbers from their war scrolls (like with Zombies) as well.

I would love this to be true but don't think there's anything in the rules to say that because a model comes from the same warscroll as another model it isn't treated as a separate unit. The rules say all models are treated as individual units. I doubt GW considered the implications of that rule.

Considering all the typos (clash at dawn has two 2s on the map, Tzaangors have a minimum unit size of 10, devoted of Sigmar are missing even though the flagelants are plastic, etc) they don't appear to have put much polish time into the book at all.

1 hour ago, Sadysaneto said:

page 16. allegiance abilities.

ALLEGIANCE ABILITIES

Every warband owes allegiance to one of the Grand Allianceseither ORDER,CHAOS,DEATH or DESTRUCTIONThe units you choose to make up your warband may make it eligible for

allegiance abilities from number of different sources,such as battletomes and the General’sHandbook.

However, in Skirmishbattle, your warband can only use the allegiance abilities of the Grand Alliance from which they hail.

it doesnt say you can use anything from a battletome, it says the opposite, actually.

they can use the abilities from grand alliances that are on ghb. 

from GHB:

ALLEGIANCE ABILITIES

From powerful command traits to arcane items of incredible power,this section provides new rules for your Order,Chaos,Destruction and Death armies.

from Order abilities:

This section describes the allegiance abilities available to an Order army,including battletraits for the army,command traits for its general and themagical artefacts available to its heroes.

That last part seems to indicate that you can take Command Traits since it specifically mentions Battletraits and Artefacts as being part of "Allegiance Abilities" and the Skirmish rules explicitly states you can use artefacts from The General's Handbook or the Skirmish book.

14 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

@Sadysaneto

Well researched.  Thank you.  No traits.

What?  I'm pretty sure it's the opposite.  Command Traits are specifically listed under Allegiance Abilities.  Especially since you also get the battletraits and choice of artefact.  You just can't pick a trait specific to a battletome, only the basic grand alliance ones (i.e. Ruler of the Night for Death armies)

Way too much thought is going into this. AoS skirmish is like AoS, or any miniature tabletop game. 90% of the point is to enjoy cool models, period. Skirmish allows new players to start enjoying the models faster. You buy a wight king and some Grave Guard, the next day you come into the shop, put them on the table, and crazy/silly/fun things happen. After a couple games you need more models, buy another box - repeat. 

The fact that some things are crazy is fun. If you lose to some blightkings, then you use your points after the game to pick up a wizard or some ranged guys that can deal with them from distance. If you buy a couple boxes of skyfyres to win every game you are missing the point; to have fun. 

Skirmish is merely a better entry point for AoS, where you can enjoy models and take your time building an army. After a couple weeks playing skirmish you can get into a narrative campaign and build up to matched play.

The best thing about AoS Skirmish is that you can build warbands and enjoy some models that you like but never bought due to a full army commitment. For example, I might buy some dwarves and make a dwarf warband, whereas I am not interested in fully committing to a full dwarf AoS army. 

The book as is written is for the out and out beginners for everyone else it's just a framework or common starting point for your games.

I don't think finecast/metal models being omitted as being particularly noteworthy this was something that was made very clear from the out set. There are a few plastic models being omitted that raised an eyebrow with me, Orruk Warbosses in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived