Guessing the AOS releases and the units in them

Just making a thread where people can predict the rest of the years releases, and suggest the units they expect to come with them.

Personally, with us being nearly halfway through the year, I think we can expect to see three more decent AOS releases. Based on rumours and my own speculation, plus the little teases we've had so far, I think these would be: 

- Nurgle (Daemons, Mortals and new stuff) 
- Deathrattle (Expanded faction) 
- Dark Aelves

Nurgle

The Nurgle equivalent of Blades of Khorne/Disciples of Tzeentch, this would include a new Battletome as well as a big release of new units. This would also coincide with a lot of 40K Nurgle stuff as well. It would collect Nurgle Daemons, Rotbringers as well as the new stuff. My prediction for units to be released would be:

• Great Unclean One/Bolathrax kit. Bolathrax was heavily featured in the Ghyran campaign so I expect him to be the named GUO variant. The GUO would have a few weapon options as well, sword/flail etc. 
  • Nurgle Marauders kit. The Bloodreavers/Kairic Acolytes equivalent. Probably tougher than the other gods Marauders, what with this being Nurgle and all. I imagine them to be almost zombies, like the state between Mortal and Zombie. Or a new Zombie kit would also work. 
  • Nurgle Warriors kit. The Blood Warriors/Tzaangors equivalent. Again, pushing the toughness motif to separate them from the other gods. Pestigors would be an amazing option. 
  • Nurgle Mage. 
  • Nurgle Hero. 
  • Nurgle Cavalry. These would be smaller versions of the Maggoth riders, or something similar. Perhaps even giant slugs. 

This, combined with the current Nurgle stuff, would make an awesome Nurgle release I think. 

Deathrattle 

This would go a long way to pleasing many Death players and it it coincides with the Shadespire release, it would be a great way to further the faction. We know there will at least be a new Skeleton kit coming out, so I think there is good odds this gets released. What I expect for this release is: 

• Arkhan to gain the Deathrattle keyword and be included in the Battletome. This makes too much sense not to happen. 
  • Sepulchral Guard. Obviously these have been seen. I think they're going to be an Elite infantry unit, better than the average Skeletons. Maybe even 2 wounds a piece. 
  • Ranged Units. Skelton Archers would be a welcome boon to this faction. 
  • A new Bone Giant unit. Less Egyptian vibe and more a literal Skeletal Giant. 
  • Some form of catapult/chariot/other warmachine. 
  • A Skeleton Mage. 

This would really amount to only a small release, but it would sell like crazy to the starving Death players. 

Dark Aelves 

With rumours persisting that Dark Aelves are getting a release, and it will be a Chthulu inspired release at that, I believe we will see a Scourge Privateers Battletome. This would infuse the current range of Privateers models, but add even more seafairing units. 

• Pirate inspired light infantry. Similar to Harelquins, these would be dynamic and agile units, capering around wielding cutlasses and the like. 
  • Musketeers. Shooting units with Flintlock pistols and other old school armaments. 
  • Hero unit. 
  • Mage unit. 
  • Cavalry. These would be sea monster/Chthonic creatures. 
  • A large monster/centrepiece unit. Perhaps a squid like creature. This would be fairly unique, and offer great customisation. 

So yeah, thats my predictions for the year. Three more Battletomes with new Models. 

I don't see any evidence (other than wishful thinking) for a deathrattle release, and the GW rules team are likely to have their hands full getting initial 40k stuff out the door, so I would predict just the nurgle and cthulhu elves this year, with shadespire being something they have basically already developed, but can put out towards the end of the year to keep AoS players happy while they focus on 40k.

The way GW left off with Kharadron Overlords, "that's all (for now)", plus their popularity, points to another sky faction. Considering that Destruction is also light on factions, I'm guessing a sky grots. Sometime in the fall after, new hammer excitement starts to decrease, I bet we'll see a campaign book, the skygrots, more KO, likely some sky aelves and maybe skryre skyboats too. Skyboats for you, and skyboats for you, everyone gets skyboats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, KnightFire said:

I don't see any evidence (other than wishful thinking) for a deathrattle release, and the GW rules team are likely to have their hands full getting initial 40k stuff out the door, so I would predict just the nurgle and cthulhu elves this year, with shadespire being something they have basically already developed, but can put out towards the end of the year to keep AoS players happy while they focus on 40k.

There has been a slight increase in focus on Death stuff, albeit mainly to do with Shadespire. I just think with the Sepulchral Guard being a new release and having the Deathrattle faction keyword, GW would capitalise on that with a Battletome release. 

9 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

There has been a slight increase in focus on Death stuff, albeit mainly to do with Shadespire. I just think with the Sepulchral Guard being a new release and having the Deathrattle faction keyword, GW would capitalise on that with a Battletome release. 

Its not really just "capitalising on" though, a battletome is a lot of work, and the fact that they obviously have shadespire ready (they showed it in the US) but aren't releasing it until the end of the year suggests its being used to avoid having too long without an AoS release because the rules team will be working on something else (40k stuff most likely). Remember that it was 8 months between Silver Tower (full of tzeentch stuff, including tzaangor, horrors etc) and the tzeentch battletome. My guess would be:

July: GHB 2

Aug: Nurgle

Oct: Shadow Elves

Nov: Shadespire

With a death release sometime around April next year (and something new and unexpected between nov and then).

As for shadow aelves units (going crazy here, give me some darn aelves!) - I very much expect assassin type units, with a bunch of annoying tricks up their sleeves, and hit-and-run type of units that messes with the hit rate of the enemy. 

Expecting a lot of 'blink/warp' type movement abilities, and generally things that pushes a guerilla warfare playstyle. Their shadowrealm beasts are likely similar. In a place where death can strike in an instant, the evolution of creatures will surely spit out some truly nasty 'ohshityoudied' beasties.

Probably squishy to the extreme though.

(If they don't end up hit-and-run, I would think they'll focus a lot on affecting enemy bravery. Who knows, maybe both)

Mind you, I'm speculating like crazy here, but that's what you want, no? ;)  

I believe after the aelves, we might not see an order faction for a bit. I would assume that the Order of Azyr becomes a big thing, with new witch hunter, collegiate arcane, free peoples, and devoted of sigmar rebranding. 

I think this shadespire arc is leading to a new death faction that can not be controlled by nagash. And I think that the Kataphranes returning would be the faction to do it. They'll probably be the shadeglass implanted into stone golems and constructs, essentially turning them into the souls that inhabit the glass. I have a feeling that mask they keep showing pictures of is a hint of this. The kataphranes were a creative noble class, they most likely had all the things set in place for them to do this, eternally cheating death. I doodled up what i think they may look like in the end ;)

kataphrane.png.40ac831d26d1d21d61e4273e791fec0a.png

This would really amount to only a small release, but it would sell like crazy to the starving Death players. 

Starving would suggest we are still alive having not been fed for 3 years. Luckily (most of) the dead don't need to eat much. 

No we will get

- a play mat too small for most games
- A box of the stuff we already have at discount prices
- a unit of 8 Sepulchral Guard with no point values, designed to promote their card game
- a release of skeletons on round bases to go with all the skeletons on round bases that we have.
then GW will throw in a few more nerfs. Probably say all compendium is illegal in GH2. 

Maybe Winter 2018 they release a new faction.

11 hours ago, hellalugosi said:

I think this shadespire arc is leading to a new death faction that can not be controlled by nagash. And I think that the Kataphranes returning would be the faction to do it. They'll probably be the shadeglass implanted into stone golems and constructs, essentially turning them into the souls that inhabit the glass. I have a feeling that mask they keep showing pictures of is a hint of this. The kataphranes were a creative noble class, they most likely had all the things set in place for them to do this, eternally cheating death. I doodled up what i think they may look like in the end ;)

I think this is a great idea but will not happen after Death got their propper Nagash following. To me the key difference here is that all that's worked out so far for death are the Ghouls, most of the true Skellatons are simply said all over the place.

So for Death I expect Deathrattle to become a faction, one much larger as Flesheaters. Logical aswell because there are a lot of boney Champions that need to have some new coverages! Coverages that I think will make Death fans really happy. Because of of the theoretical options as to why it took so long to update them in the first place might very well be due to the quantity of models they are thinking about.

ORDER
As many of us have seen, 40K will fill up quite some months but I do expect Aelfs to finally get their input for AoS aswell. What I expect to see is a new unit and hero for both the Scourge Privateers and Lion Rangers. Both these will likely be influenced by more Pirate-like themes for the Privateers and a Knight-like theme for the Lion Rangers.  I believe these spoilers are of those models.
RumourEngine29Mar-320x320.jpgIMG_7138-e1491389391219-320x320.jpgRumourEngineMar22-320x320.jpgMay10RumourEngine.jpgRumourEngineMay17-320x320.jpg
It could very well be that we see Dark Aelfs first, then Nurgle, then High Aelfs...

CHAOS
However next I still expect the Silver Tower expansion or other Warhammer Quest game; Manse of Nurgle.
In that box I expect a lot of Nurgle content we allready know with the following two new kits that will be sold seperate:
- Maggoth Riders are likely what this picture is about:
RumourEngineApr12Content.jpg

- Poxwalkers; a 40k/AoS kit that will be akin to these models:
Poxwalkers1.jpg
The prime difference I expect to see for the AoS variant is that we'll see the models be 4+ multi-part and while pants and hand weapons will overlap we will see bit more of Aristocrat design for AoS and the more 'lab-goon' design for 40K.

- Plague Censer Bearers are the other unit I expect from this box, these would be AoS 'exclusive'. In essence we allready know these models but I expect GW will add a wound to them, make them a bigger and more bloated variant of the Plague Monks and likely change up their Warscroll to present a semi-elite Clan Pestilence force that isn't quite a Blightknight but certainly above the Poxwalkers and regular Plague Monks. Bigger guys with huge flails (some of which are bells) are just very cool to look at.
300px-Warpstone-incense.jpg 2017-04-19-320x320.jpg

DEATH
Still little to no confirmation to what GW has up in store for them. My best guess would be:
- New Zombie Warrior box
- New "Grave Guard/Tomb Guard Morghast" box, elite guys that have the typical Stormcast bodies, 2 wounds 4+ save type of deal.
- New "Screaming Catapult"
- New Undead Giant (bigger wingless Morghast)

Obviously added to that would be a new Battletome, one that rewards Death well with a Battle Trait that accumulates points for summonning, has two different types of spell lists and obviously new Artefacts.

Cheers,

8 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Nice work @hellalugosi! That would be really cool. As you say we've seen those mask like images in a couple of places now.

I'm intrigued by the Khataphranes, their background and progression is the kind of story arc I could really get behind.

Thanks! I have a sinking feeling that the kataphranes may just be perfect amalgamation of tomb king aesthetic and concept, but with necron functionality. 

@Killax

These are all fair points, but i do believe that it is fair game considering the release style weve been seeing. I think the most likely scenario is a forces of nagash book, including deathrattle, nighthaunt, deathlords, etc, that will give more to play around with each sub faction, with a few new models, but we will see a brand new faction shortly after like the kharadrons release, with the kataphranes. I also cant help but feel soulblight will be seperate from the forces of nagash, as i think that entire subfaction is just waiting to get a ton of new plastic kits and lore.

12 hours ago, hellalugosi said:

@Killax

These are all fair points, but i do believe that it is fair game considering the release style weve been seeing. I think the most likely scenario is a forces of nagash book, including deathrattle, nighthaunt, deathlords, etc, that will give more to play around with each sub faction, with a few new models, but we will see a brand new faction shortly after like the kharadrons release, with the kataphranes. I also cant help but feel soulblight will be seperate from the forces of nagash, as i think that entire subfaction is just waiting to get a ton of new plastic kits and lore.

For Death I think that the first real Battletome will be a rather big one, I do think Deathlords, Deathwalker and Deathrattle will be combined. By large because the narrative also tells us that they function as one army. We can obviously still expect Battalions who highlight particular units within the book.

I agree with you that I do see the spirits as a seperate eventual army. To me the most common sence to split them up would be Skeletons, Ghouls and Spirits. As we allready have Ghouls I think we can see new Skeletons next. It would also be a reason as to why Shadespire is getting their new kit.

16 minutes ago, Rob P said:

Heard on latest black sun ep @Chris Tomlin that skirmish book mentions ur-gold golem. Make of that what you will re dispossessed.

Sounds cool. I really would love it if FW would make something like the Godbeasts aswell or have us figure something out for them.

I hope that GW will continue their high fantasy and think it could be really cool to see a arch-dragon/godbeast spawn for every realm for us to eventually play with.

On 5/24/2017 at 2:18 PM, AthlorianStoners said:

Nurgle

The Nurgle equivalent of Blades of Khorne/Disciples of Tzeentch, this would include a new Battletome as well as a big release of new units. This would also coincide with a lot of 40K Nurgle stuff as well. It would collect Nurgle Daemons, Rotbringers as well as the new stuff. My prediction for units to be released would be:

• Great Unclean One/Bolathrax kit. Bolathrax was heavily featured in the Ghyran campaign so I expect him to be the named GUO variant. The GUO would have a few weapon options as well, sword/flail etc. 
  • Nurgle Marauders kit. The Bloodreavers/Kairic Acolytes equivalent. Probably tougher than the other gods Marauders, what with this being Nurgle and all. I imagine them to be almost zombies, like the state between Mortal and Zombie. Or a new Zombie kit would also work. 
  • Nurgle Warriors kit. The Blood Warriors/Tzaangors equivalent. Again, pushing the toughness motif to separate them from the other gods. Pestigors would be an amazing option. 
  • Nurgle Mage. 
  • Nurgle Hero. 
  • Nurgle Cavalry. These would be smaller versions of the Maggoth riders, or something similar. Perhaps even giant slugs. 

This, combined with the current Nurgle stuff, would make an awesome Nurgle release I think. 

I believe most of these are probable. Great Unclean One is long needed, and considering how good the maggoth riders and Glottkin are, will probably be an incredible kit, just like the other Greater Daemons.

Nurgle Marauders is a good shout too. Quite possible that it will be a poxwalker kit, with a 40K frame like the tzaangor. Would make sense for nurgle's chaff unit to be tough foot-slogging zombie types - like plaguebearers that haven't given in to the disease yet.

Nurgle Warriors I don't think we will see. I hope they keep blightkings as the elites and give us pestigors instead. Blightkings already fill the nurgle warrior niche, and the kit is still fantastic.

Nurgle mage will probably be the current one with a rebrand, akin to the Magister.

Nurgle Hero? I am not sure. They already have a strong line of characters, with all the maggoth riders, glottkin, lord of plagues, Guttrot Spume, Festus.

Now cavalry would be interesting, but I have no idea how they would choose to do it. Mortals on Bloatflys?

2 hours ago, Killax said:

Sounds cool. I really would love it if FW would make something like the Godbeasts aswell or have us figure something out for them.

A godbeast done to the correct scale would be larger than a house, and given forgeworld pricing, would cost more than a house too. 

I don't think new Aelves will be part of Scourge Privateers but a completely new faction, similarly how the new Duardin factions were done, where they are clearly an evolution of older models, (Fyreslayers coming from dwarven slayers and Kharadron from engineers' side) but with a new theme. Personally, I don't think sea-themed army would make much sense in AoS-styled dimension-hopping high fantasy. So the new faction could be more focused on monsters and gribblies, maybe taking cues on Malekith's new form?

The fluff of the Scourge Privateers is that they are monster hunters extraordinaire, so hopefully and faction expansion will be super gribbly! Or theyll be like aelf Bonesplitterz - roll on Cunning Ruckus allowing corsair handbow dudes to unleash stupid amounts of shots!!

17 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

I believe most of these are probable. Great Unclean One is long needed, and considering how good the maggoth riders and Glottkin are, will probably be an incredible kit, just like the other Greater Daemons.

Nurgle Marauders is a good shout too. Quite possible that it will be a poxwalker kit, with a 40K frame like the tzaangor. Would make sense for nurgle's chaff unit to be tough foot-slogging zombie types - like plaguebearers that haven't given in to the disease yet.

Nurgle Warriors I don't think we will see. I hope they keep blightkings as the elites and give us pestigors instead. Blightkings already fill the nurgle warrior niche, and the kit is still fantastic.

Nurgle mage will probably be the current one with a rebrand, akin to the Magister.

Nurgle Hero? I am not sure. They already have a strong line of characters, with all the maggoth riders, glottkin, lord of plagues, Guttrot Spume, Festus.

Now cavalry would be interesting, but I have no idea how they would choose to do it. Mortals on Bloatflys?

Yeah the Great Unclean One I expect to be an epic kit. 

Marauders I hope push the toughness up, making them super hard to kill. 

Pestigors would be awesome. I don't know if the release of Tzaangors is indicative of that being the approach they're taking.

Yeah that makes sense.

You're right, there is a lot of Nurgle heroes. 

Marauders on bloatflies would be awesome! 

Archived