Gore grunta conversion help

Kessler

I try to make Braggoth Beasthammer battalion that includes 2 units of orruk gore gruntas. 

I generally like the models, but I don't like that orruks lean fiercely forward like charging into battle, while pigs seem to be casually strolling to a morning brunch. The rider and the beast don't "fit". Regular orruk boarboys match much better with their mounts. 

I don't have the models yet, has anybody tried to make the pigs more dynamic? Change their legs into running pose, for example. If yes, can you post some pictures? 

Also, has anybody tried shaving off their beards, how does it look? 

How are your sculpting and modeling skills? I would say the way to make the models add more movement would be to consider the meassuring of a horse's gallop. Some pinning would be required.

Personally, the stumpy strut of the pigs didn't bother me as much as those horrible snouts. So that's what I re-sculpted on mine.

I hope you try it out, even tho they are some expensive models. And post some pics of them when you're done or WIP!

weblarge_8A2A529A-08B3-4F46-BEBD-95B8C80DD16E.jpeg.dce9f2d5714cfb1cc8ee10c00ad352d7.jpeg

Thanks for the reply! My modelling skills are not that great - basic gap filling, straightening legs, making occasional cloaks/fur is okay, but anything more fancy is not. If their legs are long enough I will try.

@Kessler - Having assembled 15 Gore-gruntas (with 3 more to go) I can advise that they are tricky models to convert. In order to add variety to mine I have taken to converting the riders, with head and weapon swaps. Any work on the gruntas themselves would take a large amount of work at a pretty high skill level. For what it's worth, the models are so much better when you have them in hand compared to any photo I've seen.

Good luck and please share any conversions you do!

Thanks. I will make only 3 goregruntas at first, so no need for much variety there, but for next 3 I plan to use some weapons and armor from mournfang kit and vice versa - because they are really friendly with each other in Braggoth's band :).

If the conversion is so complicated, I probably won't ruin the models with it. Maybe only try to put one into jumping position or twist some legs.

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Good luck and please share any conversions you do!

Definitely!

On 24/05/2017 at 11:54 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

Having assembled 15 Gore-gruntas (with 3 more to go) I can advise that they are tricky models to convert. /.../ For what it's worth, the models are so much better when you have them in hand compared to any photo I've seen.

How very true! For me the gruntas were impossible to convert nicely, so I just did some kitbashing. And they look better in real life.

Anyway, here are the results:

https://www.the-stronghold.com/index.php?/blogs/entry/227-braggoth-beast-hammer-in-progress/

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Kessler said:

The battalion is finally ready and all conversions and painting can be seen here:

https://www.the-stronghold.com/index.php?/blogs/entry/231-braggoths-beast-hammer-ready/ 

Thanks for the advice!

Your army looks fantastic man...really like this! Great work. Glad you found some mileage in kitbashing the other Ironjawz kits to give variety to the riders. I've done a couple wielding two weapons and they are some of my favs :) 

At the tournament I was at this past weekend someone was using Braggoths Beast Hammer and it got me all excited to use that Battalion myself. I already own a Stonehorn and 4 Mournfang (basic paint jobs) and all the Gore-gruntas so it seems silly not to give it a go!!

Thanks for sharing.

Archived