Alternating activation in Age of Sigmar

Ive played a bunch of big AoS games where each turn we roll for priority then each players does a phase at a time, so hero hero move move etc. This greatly speeds up big games as stuff gets into combat way quicker, even though it halves the number of combat phases. Its worth noting we didnt bother with points or allegiance abilities - in fact we have mainly just used the original compendium pdfs to fight our way thru the End Times. It does work a treat though and i recommend giving it a go - these games have been around 5k a side but take only a few hours to play!

Yeah I personally think that sharing phases would be a big breakthrough to make this game more interesting and different as the competition. The advantage of AoS' relative simple rules also would mean that it's actually not that difficult to incorporate. 

On 5/19/2017 at 5:20 AM, Menkeroth said:

Malifaux could fit right in, but anyway this requires testing to see if it will even work.

In malifaux, you have the tactic of taking extra low-cost models just for the purpose of getting an activation edge.  That could be abused more so in AOS.  It would require a new set of difficult rules.  How about, in a 2000 pt game, Take turns activating AT LEAST 200 but no more than 400 points worth of models.

One thing I do like about IGOUGO is that you get a bit of a rest. You can have some tea/sip your beer for a bit while your opponent does most of the work. At the far extreme, I found Dreadfleet quite tiring as both players are moving, shooting, boarding and swashbuckling almost continuously.

Archived