Khorne Army - Where next?

Thomas E

I am looking to add a couple more units to my army so any advice on what I should buy next to increase the overall performance of the army listed below is much appreciated. This is my current collection which I use to select my army list on the day (Usually a 1500 point game):

Hero's: Mighty Lord of Khorne, Aspiring Deathbringer, Exhaulted Deathbringer, SlaughterPriests x2, Skullgrinder, Demon Prince, Bloodstoker, Bloodsecretor

Battleline: Units: 15 Blood Warriors, 20 Bloodreavers, 10 Bloodletters

Units: 5 Skullreapers, 1 Khorgorath, 3 Bloodcrushers, 1 skullcannon

A couple of ideas Iv'e been playing with; A new SlaughterPriest (For the Gore Pilgrims), 5 More Skullreapers (Allows for another battalion, the name escapes me) or maybe a large centre piece hero - possibly a Bloodthirster or even Archaon! 

A Start Collecting Khorne Bloodbound box would net you 10 more Bloodwarriors, and 1 more Slaughterpriest which would help you in better filling out a Gore Pilgrims Battalion.  You'd also get 3 Skullcrushers.  Ath that point you could pick up a box of 6 Mighty Skullcrushers for a total of 9 which is the minimum needed to field a Brass Stampede Battalion.

Two more Start Collecting Khorne Daemons box would get you another 20 Bloodletters to put you at that magical 30 strong unit of them, 6 more Bloodcrushers which would get you to 9 total for the minimum fielded Blood Stampede battalion, and 2 more Skullcannons.

Both of the the above are very good methods of getting a lot of bang for your buck.

As for adding big models like Archaon, this is going to largely depend how competitive your local is.  Big stuff tends to not work so well in highly competitive environments, so keep that in mind.  It may be better to get a solid core army down first, and then drop big stuff in occasionally to mix it up from game to game.

Another good option if you're just looking to pick up a box of something - Wrathmongers.  Can't ever go wrong with a unit of Wrathmongers.  

21 hours ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

More Battleline! I have 15 Blood Warriors, 10 Chaos Warriors, 40 Bloodreavers and 30 Bloodletters to work with. I think a good list should have 60 models between Battleline and Skullreapers/Wrathmongers.

Battleline is where its at! My khorne army right now is focussed on gore pilgrims, with 60 blood reavers total, 30 bloodletters, and 15 blood warriors! BW and BR are stupid cheap on ebay because of the starter set!

additionally, I don't have my book with me, but are chaos warriors able to be taken as battleline in BoK? What about chaos marauders? 

5 minutes ago, gummyofallbears said:

additionally, I don't have my book with me, but are chaos warriors able to be taken as battleline in BoK? What about chaos marauders? 

Yes to both :) In general if you want to make your force more grindy Slaves to Darkness delivers.

I think the coolest options are actually still to combine these forces in our armies, we don't speak too much of it on the forums but the best part truely is to have the Bloodsecrator beef them up aswell.

Guess there is some room to cover them in the Lets Chat topics... If someone wants to chat about them...

2 minutes ago, Killax said:

Yes to both :) In general if you want to make your force more grindy Slaves to Darkness delivers.

I think the coolest options are actually still to combine these forces in our armies, we don't speak too much of it on the forums but the best part truely is to have the Bloodsecrator beef them up aswell.

Guess there is some room to cover them in the Lets Chat topics... If someone wants to chat about them...

Well, I have a large amount of chaos warriors painted red, might be a fun anvil for my army, especially considering I haven't been impressed with BW so far. 

I am not familiar with lets chat, but I am new to the forums, forgive the ignorance. 

Just now, gummyofallbears said:

Well, I have a large amount of chaos warriors painted red, might be a fun anvil for my army, especially considering I haven't been impressed with BW so far. 

I am not familiar with lets chat, but I am new to the forums, forgive the ignorance. 

No worries, the lets chat is basically there for un-focused talk. Sometimes it's about Skarbrand, sometimes it's about Khorne Artefacts and other times its how to deal with X or Y. I personally think youll like BW more if you run them with two Axes and in units of 10 but if you do face a ton of Skyfire ranged attacks (for example) the Slaves to Darkness Units can certainly be good. 

I mean Chaos Rune Shields are far from the most ideal choice and in terms of raw damage output Blood Warriors do much more as Chaos Warriors. The thing is that if you do see a ton of Mortal Wounds heading your way a 5+ save is most certainly better as none.  The biggest downside to Slaves to Darkness currently is the lack of Battalion choices though you can certainly mix and match.

In the end I think it boils down to a part of play preforance aswell. Slaves to Darkness does hold objectives better as most Daemons of Khorne or Bloodbound but doesn't nearly has as much Rend or Mortal wound options. 

On 17/05/2017 at 6:15 PM, Jharen said:

A Start Collecting Khorne Bloodbound box would net you 10 more Bloodwarriors, and 1 more Slaughterpriest which would help you in better filling out a Gore Pilgrims Battalion.  You'd also get 3 Skullcrushers.  Ath that point you could pick up a box of 6 Mighty Skullcrushers for a total of 9 which is the minimum needed to field a Brass Stampede Battalion.

Thanks for all the adive guys! I think I might go for the Start Collecting Bloodbound next. As many people have commented to bolster my core units especially if I'm putting down mad prayers on them from my Slaughterpriests (Bronze Flesh being particularly amusing when the mortal wound fly back at the enemy from Bloodwarriors! lol)

My only concern is the possible change to prayer restrictions and anti-buff stacking. If prayers get rule of 1 and I use 3 priests - 1 won't be able to use blood boil or Blood bind. 

Great idea, your right on rule of 1 if players house rule it that way. GH does not say it applies to Prayers/Blessings.

We can do more as Bronzed Flesh though for larger units its quite obvious one of the best Blessings.

Though in general Id say there are some designs in the book I dont get. What I mean by that is that they seem to restrict things in an unneeded way. Battleline for example as it is now prefents certain forces' depth of armylist design. Likewise I get some restrictions to spells but cant say the rule of 1 to such things is a fatastic rule. Double Mystic Shield is not that insane for example...

I hope to see 40k influences in that regards to counter balance. Thus rolles 6s always wound, same for hit hit. Returning miscasts for spells (snake eyes) to turn into auto-failed spell and D3 mortal wounds could also apply etc. Basically remove the 3 rules of 1 and make some propper limitations that have a slightly less catchy name ;) 

So for now, go Priests if you like the models!

I suspect we're more likely to see a rule controlling the stacking of prayers rather than the casting of prayers.  Meaning I suspect we'll be able to use multiple Bronzed Flesh prayers in a turn, just possibly not on the same target.  I'd be shocked if they limited our ability to Blood Boil, because it's not THAT amazing when compared to the ranged damage output of other armies, and given that we lack ranged attacks.  It's also only a 16" range which is relatively short.

As it is now, my group doesn't rule against stacking prayers, but I just prefer not to go crazy with the Brazen Flesh.  One, I'd rather not get spoiled to it stacking if it may change, and two, I find I just don't need to stack it for it to be useful.

3 hours ago, Thomas E said:

(Bronze Flesh being particularly amusing when the mortal wound fly back at the enemy from Bloodwarriors! lol)

Just remember that the Gorefist ability is on a roll of a 6 AFTER a successful save, so increasing their save only increases the chance of it going off by way of you making more successful saves, NOT by increasing the gorefist ability to a 5+, or 4+ roll.  It's still very useful yes, and if you plan to use Brazen Flesh on Bloodwarriors then Gorefist are certainly the best way to equip them.

On 19/05/2017 at 1:46 PM, Jharen said:

Just remember that the Gorefist ability is on a roll of a 6 AFTER a successful save, so increasing their save only increases the chance of it going off by way of you making more successful saves, NOT by increasing the gorefist ability to a 5+, or 4+ roll.  It's still very useful yes, and if you plan to use Brazen Flesh on Bloodwarriors then Gorefist are certainly the best way to equip them.

Yes, I was only referring to the huge increase in successful saves to allow me to accumulate multiple rolls of 6. When fighting an army which dish out lots of no-rend attacks, you'd be surprised at how many mortal wounds you can inflict back! :) Oh and I have bought the Start collecting Blood bound box, very excited for my upcoming battle vs FleshEaters

As an example I think this is an extremely potent 2K list:

- Slaughterborn

- The Goretide

- MLoK; General; Violent Urgency; Mark of the Destroyer

- Valkia

- Ex Db; Gorecleaver (Spear)

- Bloodsec

- Bloodsec

- Bloodstoker; Talisman of Burning Blood

- 10 Blood Warriors

- 10 Blood Warriors

- 10 Blood Warriors

- 5 Skullreapers

- 5 Skullreapers

- 5 Skullreapers

- 5 Wrathmongers

Its at least something Im considering. I liked the idea with KLoJ aswell but by comparison Valkia is a very functional Missle.

22 minutes ago, Thomas E said:

Great list, looks extremely competitive on all fronts! I am currently in work so don't have access to my Blades of Khorne book, remind me what the Goretide must consist of and its effects?

Slaughterborn is required and gives all Bloodwarriors, Exalted and Skullreapers a countercharge basically if there are enemies near your general. In this case a very potent and big based general :D

The Goretide requires you to have a MLoK and minimal 3 units of Bloodwarriors in Slaughterborn. The general is also obscene, his buffs are detailed.

The best of this all is that everything moves up a distance to D6" you roll in your hero phase. Leading to a close net of models and not so slow Bloodsecrators.

The cool trick is that you have a potent Valkia missle, extremely potent General and much faster force as usual. What helps is to have the Stoker turn something else in a missle while every unit near him adds 1 to run and charges on top of it all. Essentially allowing you to use MLoK on 3 units, Bloodstoker on 3 units and have a toolbox in Valkia and Wrathmongers.

Cool to paint, good model count to finish if your tight on time and a perfect reason to pick up that Skirmish box for the Deathbringer, who's Countercharge is legit aswell thanks to Gorecleaver and Spear 'synergy'.

The MLoK also can dish out 18+ attacks :P

3 minutes ago, fredster4050 said:

Is this 2 Rage of Khorne doubled, is there primacy of RoK over MotD?

Generals Handbook and BoK still confirm that you can use abilities stacking in any order you like. This is adding RoK then doubling :) 

Does that sound strange? Heck yes! Welcome to AoS ;):P 

6 hours ago, fredster4050 said:

Nice!

It really makes for a choppy Mighty Lord of Khorne, that's for sure!
Now I certainly have to add that he chomps hard for 140 points but can also be squished rather well, so timing his use is very important. 
The prime reason I came back to the topic with The Goretide list though is that this variant of the Mighty Lord of Khorne can also:
- Pile in 6"
- Re-roll all failed hits, which REALLY allows you to max out on extreme offensive tactica.

So @Thomas E if you like the idea of a crazy Berzerker whacking around, The Goretide certainly delivers and than some :D 
tumblr_mfvc2eWSIK1rkinvho1_400.gif 

Thanks also goes out to @Jharen putting Valkia back in my mind again with the previous Everchosen Battalion which can also be used with Khorne units alone. In this scenario Valkia is just extremely fast and it's not unlikely that you can use her for a first turn charge, she is Mortal, she is a valid target for MLoK's command ability turn 1 and if you can manage to assassinate a hero you'll have a Blood Tithe point and her own demise will likely guarantee the second Blood Tithe point, offcourse we shouldn't forget that we can do even more killings ;) 

Archived