How do YOU play Age of Sigmar? (POLL)

How do YOU play Age of Sigmar?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the 3 ways to play do you primarily use in your games?

• Open Play
    • Narrative Play
    • Matched Play
    • Combination of Open and Narrative
    • Combination of Narrative and Matched
    • Combination of Open and Matched
    • Combination of all 3
  2. 2. What size armies do you usually field?

• Skirmish Size (just a few models)
    • Very Small (equivalent to 999 pts or less)
    • Small / Vanguard (equivalent to 1,000 - 1,999 pts)
    • Medium / Battlehost (equivalent to 2,000 - 2,499 pts)
    • Large / Warhost (equivalent to 2,500 pts or more)
  3. 3. Which of the following rules modules do you use in your games? (multiple choice)

• Sudden Death
    • Mysterious Landscapes / Scenery Table
    • Triumph Tables
    • Time of War
    • Allegiance Abilities
    • None of the above

I like to play matched play and I generally play 2000 point games although I'm fond of the smaller games, its nice to be able to get a few games in on a night with different people when I'm out gaming.

Not a fan of the sudden death rules, thought to be fair I've just never really played with them. Allegiance Abilities and Mysterious Landscapes / Scenery are cool so I always like to have them in a game.

I suspect that this poll is representative of those who would join an online community about the game rather than being indicative of the larger player base.

I suspect the most commonly played approach "in the wild" is Open Play.  It might actually be, contrary to our forum experiences, the most common way to play the game.

How can I make such an outlandish claim?  It's what GW store employees do for their group events.  And since GW stores are dedicated to recruiting new people, they tend to have loads of players with relatively small collections.  Combine that with limited table space and lots of GW stores run "bring and battle" type events even more than once a week.  Add in that they are multiplayer and there are hundreds of GW stores and it can easily be the most common way people play the game.

Honestly without matched play nobody was interested at all in AoS in my area.  People either clung to WHFB 8th, or tried 9th age/KoW.  After the GHB came out more and more people started playing, and now the # of players is growing.

On 2017-5-19 at 2:07 PM, wayniac said:

really sad to see so many matched only, but not at all unexpected.

Another way to look at it is that only around half of players play pure Matched. That suggests to me that the community overall is more flexible and embracing less overtly competitive experiences than it perhaps would have done pre-AoS.

That said, it also goes a long way towards explaining why Matched/competitive often seems like it defaults to the 'normal' way to play. But I do hope that this poll has opened some people's eyes to the fact that the picture is more complicated and diverse than that.

On 5/19/2017 at 1:23 PM, Nin Win said:

I suspect that this poll is representative of those who would join an online community about the game rather than being indicative of the larger player base.

I suspect the most commonly played approach "in the wild" is Open Play.  It might actually be, contrary to our forum experiences, the most common way to play the game.

How can I make such an outlandish claim?  It's what GW store employees do for their group events.  And since GW stores are dedicated to recruiting new people, they tend to have loads of players with relatively small collections.  Combine that with limited table space and lots of GW stores run "bring and battle" type events even more than once a week.  Add in that they are multiplayer and there are hundreds of GW stores and it can easily be the most common way people play the game.

My GW store does not run Open games except to teach beginners. But neither do they run matched games. The store run events I've seen for Sigmar are narrative events with a point limit but no other limits (no battleline minimums, etc.)

Most of the pickup games I see in store are similar in that no one seems to care about the matched play restrictions on army comp but do use the points to set up the game. We have a store manager who is experienced at setting up objective based narrative battles, so it isn't uncommon for a group to ask the manager to give them objectives.

I agree with you that the most common way to play is probably not pure matched play, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it is Open either.

At my local stores, people commonly just say they roughly have between 700~1800 pts of this or that force, and we both just throw a number out.

"A. I've got 1400 Death and 900 Ironjawz.

B. I've got 2000 Seraphon or 1200 Khorne. I wanted to try Khorne though. is 1200 ok?

A. Yeah I'll make 1200 work. let's toll terrain and a battleplan!"

Occasionally add in 2 more players and this is how games at my store often go. Even if it ends up 2k vs. 2k, the smaller faster games are less to slog through and plenty of fun and potential to let an army shine or a player outplay others.

Based on this data and what people have been saying, I would theorize that the high number of "combination" answers are referring to using the points from Matched play to guide the game size in other play styles. That being the case, I think one conclusion we can draw is that points are incredibly popular in this forum. We can also say that only about half the participants of this forum play pure matched play; everyone else mixes and matches.

1 hour ago, Trout said:

Based on this data and what people have been saying, I would theorize that the high number of "combination" answers are referring to using the points from Matched play to guide the game size in other play styles. That being the case, I think one conclusion we can draw is that points are incredibly popular in this forum. We can also say that only about half the participants of this forum play pure matched play; everyone else mixes and matches.

Yep, I think that pretty much sums it up. Any of the results surprise you?

1 minute ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Yep, I think that pretty much sums it up. Any of the results surprise you?

Half is more than I thought. I thought the number of people who only play matched would be lower. Although, to be fair, the survey says "primarily" not "only", so that might affect it a bit.

2 minutes ago, Trout said:

Half is more than I thought. I thought the number of people who only play matched would be lower. Although, to be fair, the survey says "primarily" not "only", so that might affect it a bit.

Ha! I thought it would be a little higher! Just goes to show that our perception of the community is coloured by many factors that don't necessarily have any bearing on reality. 'Proceed with caution when making sweeping statements about how people play' is my takeaway from this little exercise.

2 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Ha! I thought it would be a little higher! Just goes to show that our perception of the community is coloured by many factors that don't necessarily have any bearing on reality. 'Proceed with caution when making sweeping statements about how people play' is my takeaway from this little exercise.

Yeah. The size of games was also surprizing, I thought 2,000-2,5000 would be the most popular size, but it isn't (though not by much).

7 minutes ago, Trout said:

Yeah. The size of games was also surprizing, I thought 2,000-2,5000 would be the most popular size, but it isn't (though not by much).

Wierdly that segment only shot up in the last few days. The first 120 or so respondents were mostly 1,000-2,000 by quite a margin.

We always use points for our games but still like to keep it narrative and less competitive. Mostly we use the standard 6 battleplans from the GHB but we also love to play the battleplans from the Realmgate wars books. However these are very often pretty complicated and so take for more preparing.

Our games are usually around 1000-1500pts.

Archived