Swifthawk agents

Dracothjay

Does anyone field a pure swifthawks army? If so, how do thyou y perform? They look a blast to play, but on paper they don't look all that powerful. 

Id like to hear people's views, experiences playing this sub faction as I have a deep interest in them.

They have great mobility and shooting but lack staying power. I played 1500 pts against FEC and I did quite well as long as I could keep the Ghoul King on terrorgheist/zombie dragon off my squishy units, which was most of them. I tend to get steamrolled right after one of these guys make contact. 

I used the dawnspire battalion plus a skywarden 

This is pure hypothetical thinking, but adding a dragon or two from order draconis to a swifthawk list might put a bit more punch and staying power to it without sacrificing mobility, and staying true to the aerial superiority theme.

7 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

I was thinking this also. dragon would add more mobility and a pin point punch where needed. Or maybe a frostheart?

A frostheart adds defence, but has less of a punch. Although, an annointed or two on a frostheart does fit the 'bird' theme of swifthawk agents, so it certainly fits.

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

A frostheart adds defence, but has less of a punch. Although, an annointed or two on a frostheart does fit the 'bird' theme of swifthawk agents, so it certainly fits.

As many of you may have noticed, I'm a bit of a fan of the Frosty and would argue that it still has very good punch (almost as good as the dragon when you factor in the cost difference and the fact that it loses effectiveness slower due to its superior defense!). Two working in tandem, or one with your High Warden will hit very nicely. 

If you were going to try to make the Draconis mix work, it would probably need to be something like this: 

• 160     Skywarden [Swifthawk Pennant]
  • 160     Skywarden [Swifthawk Pennant]
  • 160     5 Reavers (Battleline)
  • 160     5 Reavers (Battleline)
  • 160     5 Reavers (Battleline)
  • 160     *5 Dragon Blades
  • 160     *5 Dragon Blades
  • 400     *Dragonlord [Lance and Warhorn]
  • 80       *Dragonlord Host
  • 400     Dragonlord [Lance and Warhorn]

This wouldn't be hyper competitive but it could be a fun list that you could win some games with.  

My wife plays mostly swifthawks, but also with repeater bolt throwers. The bolt thrower are the real backbone of her army, as they snipe heros and apply pressure that your opponent is forced to deal with. Otherwise you are just harassing them with Reavers, and some armies can shrug that off.

The bolt throwers then force them to deal with them, draw their forces forward, and bring them in range of your shorter ranged units. Once they are softened up enough, your high wardens can charge in and finish them off. 

The next thing that she is going to get is a Hurricanum. The list has no means of dealing with 2+ rerollables other than a little rend. Things like Fulminators, Eternal Starhosts, etc... Plus it buffs all nearby units making them more effective.

In short, you are right in your thinking. The faction needs a hammer unit badly. Fortunately there is no penalty for adding other order units right now.

As a pure faction I have a hard time seeing them being very competitive - they have speed and a high quantity of attacks but lack durability and high quality attacks. The Swordmasters you get in through the Battalion aren't bad, and can be further boosted by the Skywarden. Adding some Phoenix Temple units would give you some durability, and a Celestial Hurricanum would add a much needed source of mortal wounds as well as boost the rest of your army. Sisters of the Thorn are great for their spell as well. I will see if I can forge a list with these components when I'm home from work, since I really like the idea of a functional (mostly) high-elven army.

Tactically I think that part of the problem is that there isn't a lot of staying power to go along with the speed for the objectives game. I wonder if it would work well to use your mobility to open with an early push and then hand off the objectives to large blocks of basic troops. Eternal guards, dreadspears and high elf spearmen are all pretty efficient defensively for their cost and should take a long time to dislodge.

Archived