Competitive Tzeentch player? Look here!

Amradiel

Stauderpower pretty much said it. , Many of the casters can be pretty awesome. Skyfires are broken. (though if hes taking 27 skyfires, take 2 shamans ;)). 

Horrors can be pretty good, I think a multitudenous host has potential but its never gonna stand up against the power of skyfires. I think Horrors would be better if Blues and Brimstones were battleline. Pinks are ok, but quite pricey pts wise. 

Daemon Princes are pretty awesome.

Lord of Change and Kairos are both quite good.  (Kairos being amazing because that single dice modification per game can be used to deny an opponent a critical charge or to deny or guarantee a double turn as needed). Both are really good at stopping opposing magic as well. 

Tzaangor aren't terrible in their formation but not top tier competitive either. 

The rest of the list is pretty overcosted atm, unfortunately. Acolytes are pretty much garbage. Flamers and exalted flamers, while cool on paper are just way over costed compared to skyfires. Screamers and Tzaangor enlighted are also over priced. 

The Archaon combo is pretty good. I prefer it on "little" compendium archaon so you aren't spending half your pts on a single model combo. Guaranteeing an insta kill on anything thanks to destiny dice and archaon's sword is damn powerful. Strong counter to some lists, a gigantic "meh" against others. (For example using Kairos to deny a Treeman Ancient his charge only to then charge with Archaon on your turn and guarantee insta kill it is wondrous ;))

1 hour ago, Amradiel said:

When pink and blue horrors split, you have to put aside reinforcement points for them. Right? 

Yup, and many play as you place a "container" with 10 max models if you split to less than 10!

19 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

I don't know if I follow you here. 

It's a glaring gap between the warscroll and matched play. Rule as written you MUST split both pink and blue horrors. In open play, that's well enough. But then you combine that with the rules for matched play, specifically the one that says a unit cannot be increased beyond its starting size, and the problems begin. Until it is FAQ'ed, it can be argued that whatever number is split off is the starting size. So you can end up with a unit of two blue horrors. You can't pay points for two however, so you're paying for the minimum size, ten, no matter what. Even worse, that can happen three times a turn, since the splits happens in the end of the phase, not the turn. Until you run out of reinforcement points, your opponent can keep bleeding you.

So if you're using pink horrors, and want reinforcement points to summon in units, it is advisable to check with the TO for their take on it beforehand just to avoid the trouble. 

We dealt with this at London's Calling, by making it discretionary as to whether to Split; and that you elect the to create a unit of 10 or 20 - pay the number of points for 10/20 and can then top up to that amount, but not more. Means that it's not a headache to track.

I just won a local RTT with this:

Allegiance: Tzeentch

Leaders
Lord Of Change (300)
- Tzeentch's Firestorm
The Changeling (140)
- Unchecked Mutation (or whatever else you want, this dude doesn't really cast spells unless things are going sideways)

Herald Of Tzeentch (120)
- Bolt of Tzeentch

Tzaangor Shaman (120)
- Fold Reality
- Shield of Fate

Tzaangor Shaman (120)
- Fold Reality
- Shield of Fate

Battleline
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch (140)
- Bolt of Tzeentch

- Bolt of Tzeentch

- Bolt of Tzeentch

Units
10 x Blue Horrors Of Tzeentch (50)
10 x Blue Horrors Of Tzeentch (50)
10 x Brimstone Horrors Of Tzeentch (40)
9 x Tzaangor Skyfires (480)

Battalions
Changehost (60)

Total: 1980/2000

Its 4 drops, has all of the swapping shenanigans you'd want with the changehost, and has enough skyfires to be effective, but not so many as to be totally cheesedick (only somewhat cheesedick...)

(added in the spells I picked)

Thinking of something like like this for an upcoming tournament. Though with my TO ruling that DoT can't use Destiny Dice of mortal wound damage rolls, I am not sure how much punch it will have.

Leaders
Lord Of Change (300)
- General
- Trait: Magical Supremacy
- Artefact: Wellspring of Arcane Might
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch
Ogroid Thaumaturge (160)
- Lore of Fate: Infusion Arcanum
Tzaangor Shaman (120)
- Lore of Fate: Shield of Fate
Gaunt Summoner (100)
- Lore of Fate: Glimpse the Future
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)
- Runestaff
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Lore of Fate: Bolt of Tzeentch

Battleline
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch (140)
- Lore of Change: Arcane Transformation
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality
20 x Tzaangors (360)
- 4x Pair of Savage Blade
- 8x Savage Greatblade
- 8x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield

Units
6 x Tzaangor Skyfires (320)

Behemoths
Mutalith Vortex Beast (220)

Total: 2000/2000

3 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Thinking of something like like this for an upcoming tournament. Though with my TO ruling that DoT can't use Destiny Dice of mortal wound damage rolls, I am not sure how much punch it will have.

Leaders
Lord Of Change (300)
- General
- Trait: Magical Supremacy
- Artefact: Wellspring of Arcane Might
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch
Ogroid Thaumaturge (160)
- Lore of Fate: Infusion Arcanum
Tzaangor Shaman (120)
- Lore of Fate: Shield of Fate
Gaunt Summoner (100)
- Lore of Fate: Glimpse the Future
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)
- Runestaff
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Lore of Fate: Bolt of Tzeentch

Battleline
- Lore of Change: Arcane Transformation
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality
20 x Tzaangors (360)
- 4x Pair of Savage Blade
- 8x Savage Greatblade
- 8x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield

Units
6 x Tzaangor Skyfires (320)

Behemoths
Mutalith Vortex Beast (220)

Total: 2000/2000

Don't you want the Pink horrors to split? Your list is 2000 on the nose. No reinforcement points? 

7 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Don't you want the Pink horrors to split? Your list is 2000 on the nose. No reinforcement points? 

Not too worried about it. In my local meta, chaff is not so useful currently. If I did want them, I would put the blues and brimstones directly in my list as full units, rather than waiting for 2-4 to show up.

If I dropped the Vortex Beast, I could toss in 30 brimstones and 20 blues. But I have not tried him yet, so he gets priority this time.

1 hour ago, AverageBoss said:

Not too worried about it. In my local meta, chaff is not so useful currently. If I did want them, I would put the blues and brimstones directly in my list as full units, rather than waiting for 2-4 to show up.

If I dropped the Vortex Beast, I could toss in 30 brimstones and 20 blues. But I have not tried him yet, so he gets priority this time.

Well that is pretty smart :)

1 hour ago, AverageBoss said:

I think you'll get more work done out of the 30 brimstones and 20 blues than you will out of the vortex beast. It's a cool model, but its really hit or miss. Even if you don't need chaff, don't underestimate it. for 4 points per wound, you really can't beat brimstones for board presence, especially when you factor in the possibility of splitting replenishing units.

Archived