Chronicles of a Sky Pirate

Paul Buckler

These reports make for excellent reading.

You're really making the sky dwarfs look like a terrifying prospect to face.

Can I ask what kinds of list you feel like you'd struggle against with the overlords? It seems to me, having still not got a single game in, that they rely on a really powerful alpha strike and fold fairly easy once pinned down. That said, from your accounts it doesn't look like much has been able to withstand your shooting enough to properly retaliate. I'd really appreciate your insights on this.

Cheers

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I lose over half my games so far if the double turn went against me.  Ironjawz I think will be hard work,  as will most destrution.  Mirrorshield startdrake I just don't see how I deal with it, or any of the top tournament builds. Skyre blasts me off before i can do anything, as do 27 skyfires. A good BOK list will take mine apart as well.

On 25/5/2017 at 9:24 AM, Paul Buckler said:

So a date has been set I will be taking on @Chris Tomlin next Wednesday.  Megaboss Krunk vs Barak Mar-a-Gauld 2000pts Matched Play.

The even better news is you all get to watch as its happening on Warhammer TV!  So if you tune in to game 2 next Wed (31st), you can see all the action :)

at which hour will be the match?

amazing game guys! really cool use of the ironclad as playmaker of your army, epic the fight between your khemist vs megaboss, your Chronicles of a Sky Pirate is a great reading of course but the possibility to watch it live is stunning

How did the game go? Really curious to hear more :-)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

So a few more games to add to the collection

Game 8 vs @Chris Tomlin

Scenario Gift from The Heavens

So this was the first of a big day, at WHW.  Chris wanted a warm up game vs the Pirates, as he had never played them before and wanted to see what they do.

Lists are as per the Stream game (see below), check out the community page here

Mine is as per normal, except I am using a custom skyport as my stuff is not painted appropriately for a named

Terrain was average, some woods, a few ruins and realmgate pieces.  Chris deployed his ardboyz centrally and his megabrutes behind them.  Teh cabbage and gore gruntas on one flank, 5 brutes on the other.

I put arkanaughts kinda central, 10-20-10 but allwing the 10's to moves sideays to objectives turn 2.  Boat was slightly left flank.

Gave chris turn 1, he buffed, moved gruntas and cabbage a bit, but basically held for the comet.  I did similar, except I dropped wardens and riggers out, to give them possible grapple opportunities next go.

Chris on priority i think and passed to me.  Comet dropped Left flank, which was away from his gruntas and cabbage.  I was happy with this position.

I moved a bit but not much, pushing big arkanaught unit up, as well as left flank.  I sent the riggers into the Ardboyz using the grapple.  I was hoping to pin them and megabrutes behind.  However the megaboss was too well practiced and his megabrute unit was 2.5 inches behind and able to pile in and kill my riggers.

Chris pushed forwards now looking for a double, which would have been devastating.  He got himself in charge range of my arkanaughts with his megabrutes, but failed the 9 needed.  If he made that I was toast I think.  His comet came centrally, and he held it with his remaining ardboyz chanter and shaman. Score 2-2

Winnging priority he took the turn, he charged megabrutes into the 20 Arkanaughts, and also contacted a khemist, the cabbage hit the right hand 10 arkanaughts, planning to pile into the Ironclad and avoid all its nasty bombs/mines. He screamed off 4 wounds from the ironclad with the Mawcrusher

He selected the Megabrutes first though, which in hindsight was an error, which Chris admitted almost straight away.  The arkanughts were obviously dead, but I pinned the cabbage in place more than 1" away from ironclad saving it.  I shot the Cabbage with the boat and a few other things to weaken it.

I got the next turn, and dropped the Thuderers, and buffed them, they shot off over half the mega brutes, alongside the ironclad left 5 remaining.  The riggers went in reducing them to 2. Score 5-5

Chris won priority next and sent the 5 brutes into the riggers, and moved krunk over towards my objective.  The Gore gruntas circled around the ironclad on the other flank, and charged my endrinmaster killing him.  The riggers died, but I piled the ironclad in away from the Gruntas against teh Mawkrusher.  It had 2 khemists within 3" so was well down on attacks, plus had lost  some wounds.  I think he managed to geta  khemist down to 1 wound remaining.  Krunk charged my 10 arkanaughtson on the left, risking deadly terrain, but as a true megaboss he battered his way in and killed all 10. score 9-5 to Chris.

My turn I shot off all bar 1 off his maw crusher with thunderes, and took his 5 man brutes down to 3.  I finished of his megabrutes, but Krunk was a long way off and gonna contest my objective next turn unless I did something.  I charged the thuderers into his brutes, and selecting them first retreated.  this catapulted them within range of Krunk next go. Score 9-9

I won prioirty and took off krunk with Thunderers, butleft his 5 man brutes on a single man (thanks to a good battleshock roll) vs a khemist on 1 wound.  I scored my points though, so was 14-9 up and ahead on points.

Chris took his turn and it worked out he had to kill teh khemist to win, charges resulted in the 3 gore gruntas getting in and doing it, a minor victory to Chris!  But wait, he had forgotten that he couldn;t do his formation move on teh gruntas, as I had killed the megarute champion.  So  rewind and charge with 4 ardboyz instead. 4 hits, 4 wounds, 4 failed saves one dead Khemist again!

Result: Minor Loss (by 40vp)

Such a close game!  Swang througout.  Either of us could have won the game on a major a certain points.  Chris missing cabbage pile in was quite important, but winning priorities helped him.  We were both really happy with how it went, but slightly concerned we would not be able to replicate it on the stream later. We couldn;t have another close game like this on the same day could we?

Overall no zifflin didn't hurt me, in fact the reroll 1's vs the megabrutes was a massive help here.  Only the cabbage flys for the ironjawz list. 

I def have some cool I deas for custom skyports if the painting does stop me playing named, think there are actually some really cool combos you can do.

Will be back with the battle rep for the live game and a quick run through of our skirmish games later, but you can check it out in recorded action over at Twitch

Games 9-15

Scenario Warhammer skirmish vs @Chris Tomlin

I won't go into too much detail, but Chris and I played our way through the campaign whilst waiting to go on the stream.  We started at 40 Reknown and worked our way from scenario to scenario.  Tbh we were concerned that the overlords shooting would be too much in skirmish, but actually it wasn't.  Chris won 3 out of the 6 scenarios, and was ahead going into the last.  I just managed to get a win, mostly due to weight of numbers in the final scenario

Playing pure faction was really good as it meant we built up units rather than just picking from Destruction/Order as a whole.  By teh end we had 5-700 pt armies on the board for the final game.

Skimish is brilliant, and I will def be looking to play at least 1 club night a month using the system.  I would really recommend checking it out.

10 minutes ago, kozokus said:

I still wonder how to rule the drillbill in Skirmish :)

Ultraparrot of death metal!

Why would it need a ruling?

Just don't charge him with single wound models haha! Multi wound bros, shooting and magic will all do the job. I thought it was really cool. It's fun seeing little things like that become really powerful in skirmish.

I thought it was great fun running through the campaign in a oner and loved the way our Warbands grew. Felt quite balanced using pure faction and not just spamming a bunch of random champions from any given Alliance! (though if you were doing that, the Thunderer with Drillbill is a good choice haha).

@Paul Buckler - Good review of our first game, I concur with most of that; decent account for sure. I definitely made a mistake with the Cabbage, that's undeniable (it actually screamed 5 wounds off the Ironclad). Bit annoying really as I set it up pretty nicely and should know better! I also made a smaller mistake with the Megabrutes charging the Arkanauts and Khemist. I should've stacked the Boss and Gore-Choppas vs the Khemist but feared the -1 attack, so moved them to the other side. In reality because of this debuff they were actually the only ones who would kill him due to the D3 damage. Interesting with such a big unit to note how important the placement (and subsequent movement) of the special weapons is.

56 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Why would it need a ruling?

There was an argument in my circle about drillbill ruling. Some nasty player argued that the metal parrot rules felt under the banner/musician rules (and even stated that his parrot was a very potent musician)  and affected models from the same warscroll at 6" like all the tems that are not "really" a banner/instrument.  RAW this should'n be an issue but earlier, we thought that the scroll from the kairic alcoolics should work as an aura too and we rule0 it that way.

I know this is just silly out-of-control houseruling....

49 minutes ago, kozokus said:

There was an argument in my circle about drillbill ruling. Some nasty player argued that the metal parrot rules felt under the banner/musician rules (and even stated that his parrot was a very potent musician)  and affected models from the same warscroll at 6" like all the tems that are not "really" a banner/instrument.  RAW this should'n be an issue but earlier, we thought that the scroll from the kairic alcoolics should work as an aura too and we rule0 it that way.

I know this is just silly out-of-control houseruling....

Ooooh, that's interesting actually. I just read the wording for the Drillbill and I think your friend is correct! It says unit, not model. I don't have the Skirmish rules to hand so would have to cross reference, but I didn't even consider that!!

15 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

It says unit, not model.

Indeed. I can resume the discussion that way :

-The parrot protect the unit

-Models are units of 1 models, so the parrot protect only one model.

-Parrot is an upgrade for the unit so is affected by the rule for the banners/musician in the rules  : "However, the abilities of specific models equipped as a musician or standard bearer (for eemple, models equipped with a banner, icon, standard or flag, as well as models carrying drums, horns, bells, etc..) still have an effect on friendly models within 6" that are chosen from the same warscroll" - end of paragraph

-Rules are unclear about unit upgrades that are not clearly standard/musicians (even if the parrot is a good whistling). Is that gigantic scroll considered as a standard?

We felt that the parrot protecting units at 6" range was unfair. Even more if the grundstock are packing closely and you are forced to engage multiple grundstock at the same time, anihilating even 3+ wounds models. The scroll for the kairic alcoolics was fair however.

Then suddenly someone proposed to field a bunch of tzaangors, all wielding banners (he can!) with a bunch of pink horrors nearby (he can!).

No need to say that we kicked him out by the window.

On 6/1/2017 at 11:08 AM, Paul Buckler said:

Mine is as per normal, except I am using a custom skyport as my stuff is not painted appropriately for a named

Was this decision made by yourself or requested by GW? I dont want to fuel the fire about painting and rules but I am a bit curious still.

It was great to follow the game - sadly I had to run just around the technical issues around turn 2/3 and didnt see the finish.

Lovely models on the table! ; )

The rules are pretty clear on it, they should be painted. I don't agree purely as it's almost impossible to enforce. However I was on the stream so made the decision myself. They never asked, and I think Martin and rob even ask what port during the commentary, and seem happy it was custom.

And per the skirmish, yeah I will only be doing it for the guy with a parrot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Paul Buckler said:

The rules are pretty clear on it, they should be painted. I don't agree purely as it's almost impossible to enforce. However I was on the stream so made the decision myself. They never asked, and I think Martin and rob even ask what port during the commentary, and seem happy it was custom.

And per the skirmish, yeah I will only be doing it for the guy with a parrot

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

Did using a custom skyport make for a much different game than your previous game with the Zilfin skyport?

19 minutes ago, Joakim said:

It was great to follow the game - sadly I had to run just around the technical issues around turn 2/3 and didnt see the finish.

Lovely models on the table! ; )

Hey man, if you're a subscriber you can watch the second half after the break on a separate video on demand. The second half is super cool as we both give a mid-game interview with Rob before cracking back into the action. We also got to do post game interviews as well, which was fun!

7 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

No, in fact the custom port reroll 1's vs megabrutes prob helped me win the game

In hindsight, I suspect Paul was actually tailoring his list against me. He's that kinda guy! ;) 

Game 16 - vs Chris Tomlin (warhammer TV game)

Scenario Gift from the Heavens

You can watch all of this over at warhammer tv on twitch, I recommend you do as Martin and Rob do a great job commenting. I am gonna post an overview rather than step by step as that's much easier to follow on the stream.

My setup was pretty much just giving options. I put the boat left and switched to right, more to gain the dammed terrain, than in any attempt to tempt chris into deploying to counter it (he is far to savvy for that)

My overall strategy was to hold back for 2 turns, waiting for the comet to fall. Pick off a few bits that I might be able to reach. An hope chris made a mistake and pushed too much.

Beforehand I thought scenery helped chris more than me, but after turn 2 worked out it advantaged me. Funneling those megabrutes was helpful

Comet drop was not amazing, his was pretty much out of reach barring a really big move late game, mine tempted chris but was not in a terrible place.

Winning all the priorities was big for me, it let me remove the double turn opportunity from Chris. It cost me my riggers and wardens though. In fact I think I threw the wardens away, could have held them back longer. Used them to block rather than the riggers. Maybe had them left late game

My shooting worked well, I killed what I needed when I needed. Some great luck on damage rolls for the gruntas turned the game almost. Didn't seem like much but killing chanter early doors really helped me. The smaller brute unit could have used it turn 3.

Late game as mentioned on commentary chris could have swung his brutes in to contest, however it was not as bad as we first thought on review, I had killed 4 or 5 so was only 30 wounds strong. Think I do that in a turn pretty well. Also with the string em out of only 10 models my riggers could have survived.

Post match I didn't realize I had killed some, which makes a massive difference.

I made a conscious decision to play for the minor turn 3, was so difficult to push for major, and needed to hold back to stop chris if he won a priority. I had a couple of blocking moves I could do if he won and put me in first, but I think he had the upper hand if that happened.

The mawcrusher really struggles against me, he really can't push it, the skyhooks just murder him. A unit of 6 gore gruntas would have been better and cheaper in this case!

Late game I spotted an error I made, I could potentially have moved the boat for a cheeky 11-12 charge on his weirdnob/ard boys. Instead I pinned the mega brutes with it and khemists. Would have been a lucky charge but still could have given me a major opportunity.

Overall I think the custom sky port worked well. Didn't feel out of place, actually have another combo that works better I think.

Chris is a gent and we had a great game. Out fears of not living up to the warm up never materialized (although that would have still been a belter to watch I think, the last turn was so close)

Result Minor Victory

Couple more zifflin games then gonna try urbaz I think.

Until the next update

I really enjoyed watching your game Paul. Your post game interview was very good and insightful for how you were progressing the turns while trying to stay in control. Looked like a great match from my couch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived