Chronicles of a Sky Pirate

Paul Buckler

I'll definitely be following along with your progress. The army looks great by the way. From what I've seen, the faction seems fairly balanced. Strong shooting, but folds quick if it gets caught in combat. 

Love seeing and playing against Beastmen armies, but they are in bad need of a book. They just die. Especially to range.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Army is done, really pleased with how it turned out.  The Red/Yellow contrast works well, alongside the gold and silver.

A few pics

What I have painted, which is over 2000 Points

* Loads of the pictures have duplicated at the bottom of the post, I have tried multiple times to delete them and it doesn't work. They just stay there, most odd.

Img_5756.jpg.e31821127d66f8c07bc3b050e960b483.jpgImg_5756.jpg.e31821127d66f8c07bc3b050e960b483.jpg

The 2000 Points list

Img_5760.jpg.2f23adf15cfb5616500d7047afc8ae82.jpgImg_5761.jpg.1ee004faa40bd168e96af384d4fc4fb2.jpg

Img_5762.jpg.6cc505114ff39da8c87c626a275aafeb.jpgImg_5763.jpg.f9d6595df8b29a31cee5d0b103ca1728.jpg

Img_5764.jpg.6086c85b8e52a47db35db67035e15474.jpg

A few of the Units

Img_5744.jpg.3e01f43c651d1f303c2deab10fc291f6.jpgImg_5746.jpg.4428317aa85d63d4114c25acada943ca.jpgImg_5747.jpg.bbae98e39a0ec2c22cda46a8596f3a6a.jpgImg_5748.jpg.16d1cf3a67dbb71010182cff5c54af3b.jpgImg_5749.jpg.de5b15793f0e024631dfa04feb41d36b.jpgImg_5752.jpg.d06a0860a0cdbe576b6d8cd8500980d5.jpgImg_5755.jpg.da9786ac43086183b9798568e99c35d0.jpg

Really looking forward to getting some games in now.

Img_5743.jpg

Img_5750.jpg

Img_5751.jpg

Img_5753.jpg

Img_5754.jpg

Img_5757.jpg

Game 3 vs @#SteveJames

Scenario - Gift from the Heavens

Steave was running Sylvaneth,

Aincient, Durthu, Loremaster, Brachwych, 20 Dryads, 2x5 Revs, 2xbows,1xscythes Household,Gnarlroot.

Steve got the choice as he was 1 drop, and went first.  I deployed 2 10's of arkanaughts on flanks and big unit in middle in a line screening my boat. Navigator in terrain behind arkanaughts, and eveything else in the Ironclad.

Turn 1 he jumped Aincient behind using moonstone and Durthu through the woods. Revs both went of right hand 10 arkanaughts.  He shot 2 wounds off my navigator, and killed 6 of the 20 arkanaughts.

Then made all his charges!  so aincient went into 14 arkanaughts and durthu into 10.  Unsrpringly big D killed 10, while aincient with loremaster buff and battleshock took out the 20!  So turn 1 over, half my numbers were gone.  This wasn't good.  Howerver he had both his big guys in close range, so it was time to strike back.

Khemist buffed 10 Thunderers as they disembarked, and khemist buffed the last arkanaught unit, dis embarking both Khemists to do so.  Dammed the ironclad for free with riggers and Master still on board.

Cannons took out aincient (He failed mystic shield before teleporting), and boat took out Big D.  Great result a double turn could be cruicial now.  Sadly I lost priority, and Steve got the turn.

Comet dropped centre for him, near his dryads and 2 bow units.  He teleported his scythes across, and shot off all my thunderers.  Ported both revs to other flank to attempt to kill my last arkanaughts.  Lucky for me he failed all his charges this go.

Comet droppped centrally for me, which was ideal

Buffed the arkanaughts and dis embarked riggers this turn, plus sent the master out as well.  Free dammed again buffed the ironclad. Khemists on riggers saws and arkanaughts skyhooks this time. Shot of 1 unit of revs, 2 bow hunters from 1 unit and 1 from another, plus 2 scythe hunters, before riggers finishe dthem off.

Score turn 2 was 2-2.

I got the double turn 2-3 which was huge, I managed to get into his lines with riggers and Wardens.  The arkanaughts killed the second threatening Rev unit, as I shot/charged all bar 1 hunter off, and killed a decent amount of dryads.  Steve managed to take out all the wardens his go, and regrow a bow hunter, but in the combat phase The riggers killed the last 2.

Score turn 3 5-5

I won priority Turn 4 and the game was basically over, shot off most dryads, grappled over with now free riggers to kill wytch, ironclad charged to contest his objective at the end of his go he was left with 1 loremaster, and I held both objectives.

Score turn 4 13-5

Turn he won priority but kept the loremaster in combat with riggers, who slew him giving me the win

Result Major Victory.

Really thought I was done after Steve's turn 1.  He blitzed me, but the counter punch is amazing, and he had lost his 2 key units.  I think after failing mystic shield on aicient he should have held him back.  But I was pleased to see what the Overlords could do when pressed like that.  Really am a fan of the cannons, think they offer so much more than the mortars, glad I went with them.  Riggers work with khemist buff, prob gonna drop the drill cannon, don't think it's worth it in my list, they are there to fight not shoot.

Overall a great game. and hopefully will get to play @Chris Tomlin soon!

I'm still a fan of the Mortars, though used in a counter punch like you used I can see their merit. However, their shortcoming was still apparent as because they were in range they got charged and wiped off the board right after they shot :) Even when it looks bleak, the KO can just dump out an amazing amount of damage.

I'm convinced more and more that ships are needed, you made a great example of that in this game with the Ironclad sailing across the table to claim the Meteor and victory. I played a game last night and decided to really push the limits and take risks...and found that Enginriggers are a great counterpunch and to hold them back. Going all out and running and shooting first turn (I'm playing Mhornar) tends to get things killed real quick.

Team Tournament for me on Sunday, good luck on your game with Chris!

12 hours ago, Paul Buckler said:

Overall a great game. and hopefully will get to play @Chris Tomlin soon!

Another awesome report and victory @Paul Buckler.

Megaboss vs Admiral will be happening very soon. People can keep their eyes out for that!

Did you post a link to your article with @HobbyHammer? You should, it was a fun interview.

Also, @Dez, my man...how quickly your loyalties have changed! Damned pirates :P 

1 hour ago, Dez said:

Green iz best!

57 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

This better be an Ironjawz reference and not the colour of your Skyport!! ;) 

Mhornar always attacks from Dark Angles, so I guess dark green armour is appropriate? 

Great report Paul, I also believe that the Shorter range weapons will prove to be most successful and with time and practice you will be able to protect your canon guys a lot easier too. In this battle if you double turn the thunderers are killing something else or back on the ship sipping Bugmans 6X until deployed where you need them again. 

Basically they seem to me to be relatively small armies therefore you need to maximise every element to its maximum, so arknauts shooting and charging, riggers shooting and charging (also agree maybe no need for drill if you have canon thunderers, I'd even drop the grapple as well maybe....) 

So thoughts I have on them may help such as when you are disembarking try to get close enough to put them behind the ship or failing that charge the ship into whatever maybe able to threaten them (as long as it's not lethal enough to wreak your ship of course :-) or if you have them admirals, riggers, wardens etc... disembarking and charging to tank the corners of units maybe. 

You said earlier they will take a good few games to really get a hang on so I'm glad your doing this for us all to learn with you :-)

Thanks Guys,  all good comments.

Double turns a good times are more crucial for Overlords than some other armies.  @Sangfroidis spot on that I could have re-embarked my Thunderers and they would have survived to strike again.  Charginng/blocking with the ships is a crucial tactic I think, the more I play, the more it seems that way.  I am definately considering adding a frigate, not sure what to drop though, thats a tough choice.

Game 4 vs @Drakira

Scenario : Blood and Glory

Richard was running Death, a bloodknight based list.

Vlord on ZD (book and 5+ ward save trait)

Manfred

Isabella

Coven Throne

4x5 Blood Knights

Turn 1

I deployed first (have far less deployments), put all my Arkanaught units of the left and boat on the right, Rich had 2 5's on each objective and the coven throne near one, Manfred and izabella near the other, ZD in the middle. Used my redeploy to move everything to left side.  I gave Rich first turn.

He pushed 1 unit of knights on the left towards me, the others guarding his objective, manfred and izabella moved up.  Other flank a unit of knights moved accross towards me, and ZD moved up centrally.  He tagged his 2 objectives.  I did my 1 shot hero phase move, to get my boat up, as well as drop off thunderers and 2 khemists.  Buffed the big arkanaughts and the Thunderers with extra shots.  Shooting was good, took off 5 knights, Manfred and Isabella.

Luckily I got the double turn now, as if not, I think 2 knight units may have hit my lines.  Popped Thundrerers/Khemists back into the Ironclad, and killed his second unit of knights on the objective opposite me.  He now had 1 unit and coven throne holding 1 objective and ZD/other unit heading towards me.  Rich pushed ZD and Knights hoping for double turn, which he got.

Turn 3 the ZD and Knights hit my lines.  He had to charge the ZD at my 20 Arkanaughts, with insipring prescence, and the knigts at my ironclad.  Had he got his charge order right I think he could have gotten all his knights around my ironclad, which had he killed it, he would have auto destroyed everything inside!  Luckily he activated in  an order that let me pin the knights.  Also luckily he only did 17 wounds to me!  I stuffed my saves pretty badly though, so if the ironclad had died it would have been down to that.

This left me turn 3 to retreat ironclad, but first hopping out everything bar wardens (I didn't have space to deploy them otherwise would have).  Everything shot the ZD until it died, which was a lot, I only had the thuderers left to shoot, which they did very effectively, killing his blood knights as well.

I got the double but he was in 1 corner me in the other, so nothing in range. Jumped riggers and thuderers back into ship and moved as fast as I could to middle of the board. Ran navigator and arkanaughts to my right hand objective, a good run next go would claim it. Arkanaughts on left flank moved near to objective on Richards side of the board.

He moved his coven throne away from his only objective, towards my small unit of arkanaughts, and his knights down to my right hand objective.

Turn 5, He won and gave me priority.  I didn't want it, was hoping for him to move up and then maybe I could sneak a major win, but disembarking my riggers and wardens, neither grapple worked, so I just claimed my right hand side objective and his left.  Richards last turn the knights grabbed my right objective, game over.  We held 2 each so I won on VP (1500-0!)

Result : Minor Victory

Great game, in fairness to Rich, I asked if he wanted me to explain the Overlords rules beforehand, and he wanted to just play and see what they did. He finds it much easier to learn that way he said.  He charged at me turn 1 which helped massively, as I got to kill a fair bit before he knew what I could do.   Double turn 1-2 was massive, getting the thunderers safe is key.  Need to screen better though, as if Ironclad gets charged, they don't have to kill it to remove your units from the game, circling it prevents dropping next hero phase, so you are constantly seeking a double to get out.  I hadn't thought of that before so need to plan ahead a bit better.

Rich rolled average on his death saves, and skyhooks kill the buff characters quickly.  I think a nighthaunt list would be a real issue for the Overlords, where the rend doesn't help at all.  Def gonna be ditching drills soon, just don;t see the point of 1, get another fighter in there.  Grapples are awesome though, if I'd rolled 2 4 ups I think I would have won a major at the end.

So a date has been set I will be taking on @Chris Tomlin next Wednesday.  Megaboss Krunk vs Barak Mar-a-Gauld 2000pts Matched Play.

The even better news is you all get to watch as its happening on Warhammer TV!  So if you tune in to game 2 next Wed (31st), you can see all the action :)

Prediction: Pig Benis crushed by the prow of an Ironclad.

Game 5 vs Mike Davis

This was only a 1000 point game, so I ran

Endrimaster

Khemist

2x10 Arkanaughts

Frigate

6 Endriggers

He had

Carnosaur, 20 Saurus warriors, 10 skinks, Starpriest, Bastlladon

Scenario - Take and Hold

I deployed 1 unit of Arkanaughts on my objective, everything else in the Frigate.  Gave him turn 1.  He moved up with Carnosaur, Bastilladon and Saurus, leaving skinks on his objective.

I moved up with Zifflin move, dropped Arkanaughts and Riggers out.  Buffed 1 unit of Arkanaughts.  Shot off his Carnosaur, and pipped a few saurus off.  Khemist shot off his Starpriest! Charged Endrinmaster into end of saurus pinning them.  Charged bastiladon with riggers.  Wiff fest with bastiladon, no wounds to either side.  Killed 3 Saurus, he did a wound.

Turn 2 he won priority, shot off 3 riggers with bastiladon, he piled in his Saurus.  I killed 3 he did 1 wound to khemist he managed to drag into combat.  Think I killed a few saurus, whilst the riggers and bastilladon did no wounds to each other again.

My turn 2 I Again buffed arkanaughts, then shot off the rest of the saurus, and did 1 wound to the bastilladon.

He won turn 3, but basically had little left, his skinks stayed on his objective, the Bastilaldon killed 2 arkanaughts, and in combat finally saw off the riggers, but took 3 wounds this go.  My turn 3 I shot off his sinks, then pinned bastilladon with boat, doing a couple more wounds.

Turn 4 I finished off the bastilladon for victory.

Result: Major victory

Mikes a new player, and at 1000 points its tricky, his list was not great against mine, think he was very aggresive, which helped me.  Overall the frigate/Arkanaught combo is a good one, which I may well take to my bigger games

Game 6 vs James Eveleigh

I played James with his brayherd, a few games back.  He's back with his Blades fo Khorne list for vengence!  I am back to my standard build, whilst he had

3xwrath of khorne bloodthirsters

30,30,20 Bloodletters

Herald of Khorne

Bloodsecrator

He had 2 formations for the Letters and the Thirsters.

Scenario - Ghoul Patrol! (border war)

James deployed his letters 30 on each flank and 20 in the middle, thirster by each unit.  Banner and Herald in the middle.  I put 10 Arkanuaghts on the left, 20 in middle, rest in the boat middle left of board. I gave him turn 1. 

He rolled  a shocking double 1 for the formation move so shuffled the letters forwards 2".  He moved/ ran everything up both flanks and a thirster up the centre of the board. He scored 5 points and tagged flank objectives

My turn 1  hero moved Ironclad up, dropped Thuderers, wardens, khemists, Navigator and Endrinmaster.  Buffed Thuderers and 20 Arkanaughts. IP Arkanaughts, took dammed on them and Ironclad.  Shot off centre and right flank Thirsters, and took right flank letters down to 8.  Scored 1 point

I won roll for turn 2, and proceeded to kill the rest of the right flank letters, the 20 by James objective with shooting and a charge from the wardens, and wound the left hand thirster. Claimed right flank and his objective, Scored 7 points, total 8-5 to me.

Turn 2 James charged wardens with herald, and moved thirster up to charge the 10 arkanaughts.  His letters on flank failed mystical so stood still on it. Thirster fluffed killed 3 and shocked 1 more off.  Wardens killed herald who charged them.  James scored 2 points, Score 8-7 to me.

James won priority, and advanced his letters towards me, Thirster killed all the arkanaughts, secrator charged the wardens, did a wound, then died as I attacked back!  He scored 2 points Sore 9-8 to him. 

My turn 3, I shot off thirster and Letters, with Thuderers and Skyhooks.  I scored 9 points and won 17-9 end of turn 3.

Result: Major victory

Overall this was a strange game, I thought James would swamp me, but the 2 thirsters went down pretty easily turn 1, as did the letters.  4+ saves vs -2 rend are not good, and 5 up on letters is no save at all.  When damage is multiplied out automatically its tough on my opponent.  I think James needed to wait, and push when he had the chance of a double, forcing me to move up or get way behind on the scoring. That would have really disadvantaged me.  His list is very scary, the mortal wound output is ridiculous.

Game 7 vs Michael Wilson

Mike has a tzeentch list he has been using on the tournament schene, and doing rather well with.  Luckily he was trying out his tzangor list today, so it was a different prospect.

He had

Thurmaturge

2x Tzeentch heralds on discs.

6 skyfire

6 enlightened

30 Tzangor (max great weapons)

2x10 Tzangor Paired weapons

A formation not sure which.

Scenario : Gift From the Heavens

He deployed 10 Tzangor on each flank, 30 in the middle, skyfires and enlightened behind, General on left, heralds on left and right.

I put 10 arkanaughts on each flank 20 central.  Boat middle left (with rest onboard) and Navigator central behind arkanaughts. 

I gave Mike turn 1, he IP the big unit of tzangor, and Shielded the Thurmaturge.  He moved Skyfires up to shoot ironclad, he did 8 mortal and 3 normal wounds!  Could easily of killed it. 

I moved up with hero move, dumped out everything, buffed 20 Arkanaughts, and Thunderers.  Shooting I killed the skyfires, and put 1 wound on his boss.  I did manage to heal 4 wounds in hero phase though.

I won priority turn 2, buffing the same again, and moving up riggers and wardens. Healed 1 wound on ship  Endrinmaster advanced, while thunderers pushed to get in range of big tzangor unit.  I shot off his left hand herald and general, plus 14 of the 30 Tzangors.  mix of shooting and combat/battleshock killed the 10 dual weapon tzangors on the left.  Endrinmaster and riggers pinned the big tzangor unit so it couldn't charge his turn.  My comet arrived in the centre, I scored 2 points.

Mikes turn 2, he got the enlightened in with the thunderers, and killed the endrinmaster in the hero phase, using the formation pile in ability.  Luckily for him comet came on right flank, where the remaining unit of tzangor held it.  Enlightened easily killed thunderers, and the tzangor piled in killing a Khemist.  Luckily both units were locked still so wouldn't be able to charge if Mike won priority.  He scored 2 points Score 2-2

Mike won priority ;) and piled into the ironclad, leaving it on 4 wounds.  He left my kemist on 3 wounds though, thanks to the reduced attacks on his enlightened.  They did kill off my remaining riggers pretty easily. he scored 3 points 5-2 to him 

My turn 3, I retreated ironclad and khemist, but buffed 6 skyhooks.  Wardens moved around tzangor, and charged the 'tail' reducing attack back.  Shooting took off 4 enlightened and the remaining herald on disc.    I scored 3 points score 5-5.

I won priority turn 4, and shot off his remaining skyfires and took out all but 2tzangor with a  combo fo shooting/combat/battleshock.  He had 1 unit on the right left.  I scored 4 points 9-5 to me.

Mikes turn 4 he stayed on his objective rushed his 2 tzangor forwards retreating, aiming for my objective and scored his poinst, Score 9-9.

Turn 5 I won priority and went first, moved wardens up towards Mikes objective, and 3 skyhooks in range.  Killed 1 tzangor with shooting and the remaining 2 from the big unit. I managed to roll a 4 up for grapple and got my wardens within 6 of his objective.  I scored 5 points 14-9 to me.

Mike had to kill my wardens to get his points and save a minor loss.  He went in but only killed 2 (They were on terrain for a 3 up save).  Thankfully it was inspiring so I couldn't lose models.  I contested his objective, final score 14-9 to me

Result: Major Victory

Overall a lot closer than it seemed, if Mike won turn 2 priority I probably lost big.  He would have got 30 tzangor into me unhurt, and taken off the ironclad, thunderers and both khemists.  Don't think i could come back from that.  In hindsight, he failed a spell on his general that passed off wounds, next time he just uses destiny dice for that.  Saves his general vs my shooting.  Also prob could have sat back 1 more turn and just shot ironclad, rather than moving skyfires in front of me. 

I am definately seeing Overlords as a priority based army.  You are going to win/lose on a priority more than a lot of armies out there.  There is no resiliance, but increadible damage output.  Happy with my list, zefflin move is good, will prob give it 10 games then switch to another port to test.

Looking forward to Wed night vs @Chris Tomlin  I am using custom skyport on the stream, as mine aren't painted correctly for any of the named ones.  Same list as normal, but taken, reroll 1's vs a unit, run 6 and d3 mortal wounds extra damage.

Will be interesting to see how no ziflin move impacts the army (if at all, i think I've used it in about 1/2 my games so far)

Until next time

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

Prediction: Ironclad renamed The Titanic after Cabbage Iceberg lettuce related incident!

Come on guys, this was funny, right? Or am I spending too much time with @Forestreveries?!

I'm looking forward to our game tomorrow @Paul Buckler, but would be lying if I said I'm not also feeling trepidation towards it!! Your results at the moment are awesome! Good work.

Archived