Chronicles of a Sky Pirate

Paul Buckler

Just don't charge him with single wound models haha! Multi wound bros, shooting and magic will all do the job. I thought it was really cool. It's fun seeing little things like that become really powerful in skirmish.

The Ironbreaker champion with a D3 mortal wound hand grenade....

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Games 17 vs @#SteveJames

Scenario Gift from The heavens

Yeah, we rolled gift from the heavens again, but Steve hadn't played it in ages, and I didn't mind.

He was running Baldes of Khorne, 3 units of blood warriors, 2 priests, Bloodsecrator, 2 cannons, 2x5 skullreapers, 2x10 bloodreavers, Mighty lord of Khorne and another character.  He had the formation that lets him move d6 every Hero Phase.

Deployment was pretty standard, arkanaughts 10-20-10 boat on the left, navigator behind 20 in terrain.  Steve setup his reavers left along with 5 Warriors, 10 Warriors, 5 reapers,  cannons,  heros and secrator centre, and 10 warriors, 5 reapers on the right.  Sensibly he deployed deep to keep my skyhooks out of range if I went first.

I redployed boat left to right flank with the thought of dealing with them turn 1.

He finished first having 2 drops, and strangely took the first Turn.  Moving up with his forces slightly but not fully commiting, and shooting his cannon killing 6 of the 20 Arkanaughts. 

For my turn I took Damned terrain on the Ironclad and 20 (now 14) Arkanaughts.  Hero moved the ironclad up and dropped off everything.  Steve had moved to within range, and I took off his Mighty lord, 10 warriors on right flank and 5 skullreapers.  I also killed 1 of the 5 left hand blood warriors.

Turn 2

I won priority and even though in Gift going second is usually better I went first.  My comet droped centrally, and I moved my 14 and 10 left hand arkanaughts to be nearby.

I reloaded the Ironclad with the thuderers, and surrounded it with my skyriggers.  I wasn;t in range with the thuderers, so protecting them was key.  Shooting phase I skyhooked off the 2 Skullcannons as they were the biggest threat.  I scored 2 points.

Steve's comet dropped on the right, next to the Ironclad.  This was a MASSIVE problem, he now needed to clear everything out of that corner to score.  He decided pushing for mine was a better option.  It was but this would still leave him having to deny me for a turn at some point as I was 2 points up.

He used the priest prayer to kill an endrinrigger, (the other rolled a 1 then took 3 mortal wounds killing himself, I had pipped 3 wounds on him with a drill cannon earlier) and moved everything forwards.   He gota  charge with 10 blood warriors into my 14 arkanaughts, but killed 4 I think, his dice were dreadful.  He did get close enough to contest the objective on my side of the board however. Score 2-0 to me

Steve got Turn 3 and got a load of charges off, 10 reavers into my riggers, 5 reapers into my LHS 10 Arkanaughts (alothough only 3 were fighting , as he rolled low for charge).  His dice were appauling, he got me down to just skyhooks in the big arkanaught unit, and killed 1 with his skullreapers! Warriors on the left charged the RHS arkanaughts killing 3. Riggers killed the reavers.

I Then Jumped Thunderers out of Ironclad, and moved up both balloon units.  I took out most of the Warriors in centre, the LHS reavers and the reapers.  riest died to Endrigger shooting.  Ironclad took off the Skullreapers.  Steve was left with 3 blood warriors, and I claimed both objectives.  Score 8-0 to me

Steve got priority, and killed another Arkanaught, but it was game over next turn as I removed the last blood warriors.

Result Major Victiory

Overall I think it was more a case of Steve making some odd choices rather than me really grabbing the opportunities.  He deployed to avoid my shooting then took the turn and moved into it.  His cannons out range me, so he should have sat back and shot the arkanaugts, forcing me to move up and deal with his combat. 

The zifflin move is great, but I still feel it can put you in danger, you have to be sure youll kill everything and be able to weather a double turn.  Have a game Thursday, then Sunday.  Will play the Doggers Invitational the following weekend with Zifflin (5 more games) then move on and try another skyport.

IMG_5862.JPG.44fcf5ff3b8c812976874d32f2cda233.JPGIMG_5863.JPG.bbec6991b04eda8ee90c705fc589ccc9.JPGIMG_5864.JPG.6acea6f437b5a40b9a46c0059793823c.JPGIMG_5867.JPG.c7b5b7e7c006dd79e765c2a8d07ec1f9.JPGIMG_5872.JPG.f7f893710ba08c9dd10bb8d27cb0ec15.JPGIMG_5873.JPG.b9219d6e8cc99f8016a820230e0ac273.JPGIMG_5874.JPG.0a8b9e3282339456380a2a66781bb512.JPGIMG_5875.JPG.475d28d036d797f304ffaf33172dbe01.JPGIMG_5876.JPG.bd011511a1cb164401a3e7ebd43c9009.JPGIMG_5877.JPG.d8750637e582ab87c163aa56edc8f45b.JPGIMG_5878.JPG.af357cbee178f225e282346174ff7a9b.JPGIMG_5879.JPG.303835ab38b0c8c74193d9c3333952c1.JPGIMG_5880.JPG.7ff99c842083be2247bd91b6d5158ec5.JPG

Game 18 vs @Ratkaster

Scenario Take and Hold.

Had a great game vs Wayne Holt last night and his beautifully painted skaven.  Will try to add some pics a bit later.  He ran a warbringer/Abom list with 30 clanrats 20 storvermin and 2 units of 3 mixed stormifiends.

Take and hold is my least favourite game, and against his numbers that could be tough (he actually had less models than I was expecting from a skaven list)

Deployment he put his 3 units of clanrats around his objective, with the stormvermin and warbringer in front.  Each flank had 3 stormfiends, and the abom was on the left.

I went my usual 10-20-10 Arkanaughts boat on the right.

I gave him turn 1.  He pushed everything barring clanrats forwards, running as fast as he could.  he rolled decently and it was all past halfway!

My go I jumped it all out of the boat out, pushed left arkanaughts up to tempt him and moved other back.  Cunning Deciever really hurts Overlords.  Etehrcannons on 5's meant they didn't wipe out the right hand Stormfiends on thier own and I had to devote other shooting to finish them off.  Skyhooks took out warbringer though thankfully.  I charged wardens into flank of stormvermin to pin them, and prevent charge next turn, but forgot the sneaky rats can retreat and charge!

And then Wayne won priority turn 2.  Unfortunately his left hand stormfiends failed mystical!  This was really helpful as it mean the Abom had to go in alone vs my small unit of arkanaughts.  The stormvermin retreated, and charged the 10 LHS arkanaughts, but only killed 4.  The abom took out the unit of 10.  My turn saw me shoot off the Abom with skyhooks, only for it to come back.  Thunderer off the stormvermin, and grapple both Riggers and wardens into combat on his objective, taking out some clanrats.

He won priority again turn 3, and abom killed a few of the 20 arkanaughts, he tried a long charge with the 3 stormfiends onto my riggers, to attempt to consolidate his objective, but failed.  I killed 2 units of clanrats in the combat phase/via battleshock.

My turn 3 was pretty much a case of pipping off the last couple of wounds on abom, and taking out his 10 clanrats, this left me with both objectives for the auto win turn 3

Result: Major victory

Overall i played OK, didn't get a double and still survived.  Pure skaven is tough currently, and Waynes list was more about teh look than the actual army power.  I think had he held 1 unit of fiends by his objective and pushed on teh opposite flank he might have done better, but its tough with his army.  Great game though, Wayne is a really fun person to play and his army looks really nice.  You can see loads of pics on his twitter, which is the same as his tga name @ratkaster

Of to WHW Saturday for coalescence, so will be running slightly different lists for that one.

[mention=60]Paul Buckler[/mention] thank you for the excellent report,  actually skaven suffer the lack of a new battletome in my opinion,  Cunning Deciever as you said hurt a lot but Cunning Deceiver+30 plaguebearer=kharadron's nightmare [emoji3]. Had you play the same list showed on twitch?

Yeah same list trying to stick with it for 20 games before switching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Games 19-21

Quick summary of these games as they were for coalescence and my list was completely different from normal.

Game 1 vs the mighty Bishmeister himself, and his amazing moonclan grot army.  1500 pts I was trying to chase his army and catch it before leaving the board.  Was a really close game, thought he was going to escape with a big unit of 40 grots last turn, but managed to shoot 20 and battleshock off the rest.  So it ended in a draw.

Game 2 vs Martin Morrin, best game of the weekend, we had to loot the scenery for treasure. 1000 points, Martin using death.  We played on a beautiful city scape board with about 25+ buildings on it, so martin was doging from cover to cover to avoid my shooting.  It all came down to teh last dice roll, if I'd have rolled a 4 up would have won it.  Sadly not to be and Martin was victorious,

Game 3 was a Triumph an dtrechery 500 pts a player game.  I got toatlly smashed by a stonehorn turn 1, leaving me my admiral and 10 arkanaughts as my only units.  However the Stonehorn then left our board through a realmgate and appeared on another to kill a unit of skyfires, this left me vs Khorne and spiderfang grots.  They eneded up having a massive fight with the arachnarok killing 5 wrathmongers then killing itself!   In the end I was the lone survivor with 4 arkanaughts remaining!

Would like to add that this event was great fun, if you didnlt take part keep an eye out for the next NEON global campaign and head down to wherever is closest to you.  Its a really good idea to link all these games accross the world and I was Lucky enough to play at WHW, which was a bonus.

Game vs Death to report on later, a rematch vs Richard Morley and his soulblight

Game 22 vs @Drakira

Scenario Border war (ghoul patrol)

A rematch from a few weeks ago, Richard Morley and his Soulblight Army

2 x VL on ZD

General has 5+ ward for all nearby, other has cloak of Mist and shadows

Isabella

4x5 Blood knights

He deployed 1 ZD on the line, the general behind.  2 units of Blood knights centrally, 1 on each flank.  I used my as now standard 10-20-10 with boat on left.  Redeploying to right flank later.  I gave him turn 1

Rich cloaked ZD 12" straight at me, and pushed 1 unit of knights.  The other held his objective.  Left and Right hand ones pushed up to take those.  I had to deploy as deep as I could to try to avoid the ZD but it still got to my arkanaughts in the centre.  Luckily he fluffed his rolls, and the skyhooks survived after battleshock. However I had to deploy away from my objective, so Rich scored all 9 points

There was a lot of mystical on the board, and I failed for my disembarking Thunderers, and wardens.  Luckily I still managed to kill the RH Blood knights and his ZD on my objective.  I scored 3, and needed a double turn. 9-2 to Rich

Rich won priority, and didn't really push hard.  He engaged the LH flank knights into my 10 LH Arkanaughts, Moved 1 unit of Blood Knights up the middle and moved teh other to protect his objective.  His general moved up to give the death save bubble to 2 units of Knights. He killed all 10 arkanaughts pretty easily.  And scored 7  points,  16-2 to Rich.

Pressure was on, but I knew if I killed a lot this turn Rich would not be in a position to hurt me too badly.  I killed the more forward of the central blood knights, and reduced his lord to a couple of wounds.  The wardens pinned the LH flank knights, while my riggers grappled behind Rich to capture his objective.  The back Unit of Knights I reduced to 2 models left. I also took some wounds from Isabella.  That got me 7 points so score 16-9 to Rich.

He won the turn again, healed a bit with his chalice, and then moved everything he could at me, except the General.  I killed isabella in the combat phase turn, he finally killed the skywardens pinng his LH knight, and score 2 points for the LH objective Score 18-9.

My go I killed his general, and the remaining small unit of knights, I ping my riggers over to the LH objective, and sit endrinmaster on Rich's.  Killing all the knights with my shooting to finish him off.  I score all 9 points so 18-18, but with nothing left Rich concedes, as I just score for the next 2 rounds, unapposed.

Conclusions:  Rich was too cautious turn 2, had he hit my right flank with everything he would have easily won. He has been playing syvaneth a lot recently so is not used to his opponent dying, but 10 blood knights and a ZD would have decimated my thunderers and both balloon units, which is game over.  The grapple again was amazing, zooming across to score 4 points turn 2.  Mystical was a pain I failed 4 tests, but the rerolls on teh other units helped a lot.

I like this scenario, if you can soak up the pressure and accept you will go behind, late game you can really pull it back.

Result: Major Victory

So we had our first (hopefully of many) club invitational this weekend.  I will give a brief run through of the games, not quite as in depth as above as I have 5 to get through.  There were some funky special rules in use and secondary scoring options, will do a run down of the event with the pack and link here later.

Game 1 (23) vs Dom Hook

Scenario Blood and Glory

Dom was running hammerstrike SC, whihc I think is the worst matchup for my list.  I don;t have enough chaff to stop him, and just rely on him failing his 3 up.  Turn 1 I gave dom first go, hoping for a failed hammerstrike so I could mop up/deal with his other bits and tag some objectives.  Unfortunately he passed, killed 20 arkanaughts with 1 unit paladins, the ironclad with the other, completely surrounding it, killing all inside.  Turn 1 I had 10 arkanaughts and my navigator left.  Tabled turn 2.

Result: Major Loss

Game 2 (24) vs Will Philpott

Scenario 3 places of power

Big loss game 1, I was near the bottom, and Wills list is a pretty old school HE list.  Gave him turn and he grabbed 2 places, but this let me move up and kill his heroes.  Dragon Mage, Griffon Rider plus 2 others fell to shooting, I graplled back field and killed his archmage on foot as well.  He had 1 solitary character left turn 1.  He managed to kill a khemist before I tidied up turns 2 and 3 for the major.

Result: Major Win

Game 3 (25) vs Richard Buckler

Scenario Gift from the heavens

Probably the person i play the most!  My brother.  He had a really good mixed order list, Teh draconis formation, arkanaughts plus Khemist, grimwrath, hurricanium, Hunters etc.  Was really bloody turns 1/2 he slammed his draconis into my army, I killed it with thunderers.  Comets landed opposite corners.  Turn 3-5 I failed all the priorities, otherwise I think i would have snuck the win.  Turn 4, he made 3 out of 4 6 up saves or I would have pipped him as well.  Great game, super close, could have gone either way.

Day 2

Game 4 (26) vs @Drakira

Scenario Escalation

Having played Rich a week ago, we kinda knew each others armies.  This scenario favoured me though, as his ZD couldn't reach turn 1 so I felt much more confident.  I just setup to cover 2 of the 3 with shooting, he held back for a bit, but when he commited the cloaked dragon I killed it, and a load of blood knights as well. (I had a card that let the thuderers shoot twice).  Had rich got Turn 3 Ithink it would have made it more interesting, but in teh end I got the Major, and Rich lost all bar 1 unit of Knights and Isabella.

Result Major Victory

Game 5 (27) vs Paul Petford.

Scenario Ghoul Patrol!

Final game was vs Paul, who has another mixed order list, Durthu, Hunters, Annointed on Phoenix, and 3 units of reavers.  I was a bit worried with this matchup, and teh reavers are super quick, as is the phoenix and Durth had the battalion extra move, as well as a card to run and charge.  I gave Paul turn 1, but he didn't really move up, so scored just 1 point, this let me get 5 my turn.  I shot his only unit of bow huntersoff turn 1 with the boat and arkanaughts.  Getting the double, I moved up shooting off Durthu, then grappling over to his objective with wardens.  He left just 5 reavers on that, which I outnumbered, so scored 9 turn 2!  Paul got a bit flustered here I think and didn;t really know how to respond, he pushed his phoneix at me and grabbed the left hand objective with reavers.  Next few turns I took off most of the rest, phoenix is very tanky though, took 2 rounds of Thunerers to kill that!  Ended 26-12 in turn 5

Result Major victory

There were a decent amount of soft scores available, I was really happy to get 3rd in the best army voting though.  So overall out of 18 I came 5th.  Super happy with that after 2 losses Day 1.

Stormcast - Just don't think my list can deal with them, my BAD matchup.  Have to hope they get bad dice with the 3 ups to keep me in the game.

Happy vs death and mixed order, I can kill the general in death reasonably well and remove any 5 up extra saves, mixed order I felt in the game all the time, which was good.

So this was my last set of games with zifflin.  Overall it was good, the extra hero moves was really useful, not a fan of the deep strike. 6 up ward was cool, barely used the always run 6.  Reroll 1's vs flyers was used, but is very army dependent. Probably 7/10 for Zifflin and my list

Moving on to Urbaz next, think the double buff could be cool, need to pick another artifact to use as well now.

Hi Paul,
Can you tell why you did not like the deep Strike? I thought this is the trademark of Zilfin?

And thanks for all the battle reports, looking forward to the next brach with Urbaz. Will you change your army composition?
Cheers
Frank

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Basically it only works if you balloon spam, and even then a good opponent with a balanced list can chaff you out.  Couple of circles of chaff push you too far away to do much damage.  Dont get the double and you will just get taken off.  It works well vs a couple of the meta builds, but a good player with an all round list will counter it very easily.  I call it 'skyre light' cos it does what skyre does but not as well.

I don't like the spam list (or any spam list where you have other options, not just an overlords thing), so for me the deep strike is not something I  would consider with my current build.  Also the last word is so good I wouldn't want to give that up.

Same build for Urbaz, and other ports as i get to them.  That way I can see how they impact on my list.

Just to reiterate, are you using the following using Zilfin and now using the same army, just switching skyports to Urbaz?:

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Endrinmaster
- Artefact: Gattlesson's Endless Repeater 
Aetheric Navigator
- Trait: Fleetmaster 
Aether-Khemist
Aether-Khemist
20 x Arkanaut Company
- 6x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company
- 3x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company
- 3x Light Skyhooks
10 x Grundstok Thunderers
- 10x Aethercannons
3 x Skywardens (100)
- 1x Drill Cannons
- 1x Grapnel Launchers
3 x Skywardens (100)
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
- 1x Drill Cannons
- 1x Grapnel Launchers
Arkanaut Ironclad

Total: 2000/2000

9 hours ago, Slick_Kid said:

Just to reiterate, are you using the following using Zilfin and now using the same army, just switching skyports to Urbaz?:

Yep the same list, Except I get an extra artifact from Urbaz, which is gonna be an earbuster on a Khemist

Game 28 vs @DeadlySarcasm

Scenario Escalation

First game with Urbaz vs Adam last night.  He runs a 10 man brute unit (with general as the champ) 2x5 man Units of Brutes, 10 Ardboys, 3 goregruntas, Cabbage, megaboss, chanter and shaman.  Brew on Cabbage and megaboss.

Setup I deployed deep, 10-20-10 as per normal rest in the boat, knowing he had destruction and batallion moves, he deployed Arboys near the RHS objective, gruntas near the LHS, Brutes centrally.  Cabbage at the back due to deployment rules.

He gave me first turn, and I shuffled back even further, IP the big arkanaughts.  Moved the boat up the LHS flank and shot 4 wounds off 1 grunta.   Adam moved everything forwards, surrounding all 3 objectives, I had removed the first turn charge option, so he positioned ready for a double turn.

Turn 2

Adam won priority and took it, moving at me with pace.  Crucially (as it turned out) he failed mystic shield on his big brute unit.  He managed to charge my Ironclad on the LHS with 5 brutes, but I shot 1 off with the last word, and 1 with the mine.  The remaining 3 whiffed their attacks, doing 4 wounds, then 1 battleshocked off.  The cetre charges were 9 for the big brutes, and 10 for the 5 man brutes.  He failed both :(

My go I jumped all out of the Ironclad, boosted Thuderers, 2 units of skyhooks and the saws on the Riggers.  Shooting I took out all bar 2 of the big brute unit, the 2 brutes fighting the Ironclad, and 1 gore grunta.  TBH my dice were really bad here the thuderers only did 7 wounds in total, so all my skyhooks and the ironclad went into them as well.  My riggers hit the LHS gore gruntas and killed them in combat.

Score 3-1 to Adam

Turn 3

I won priority, which was massive.  Buffed all 3 skyhooks, and the wardens CC weapons.  Shot off cabbage, and remaining 2 brutes.  Got Megaboss down to 1 wound and then 'No trading with some people' kicked in and he was gone.  Grapples both failed though so couldn't take middle objective.

Adam just held on here, kept his Chanter near middle objective, and tried to foot of gork me, failing.  His last brute unit took out 10 arkanaughts

Score 5-2 to Adam.

Turn 4  I won priority,  Lucky for me as I think Adam may well have won (or at least saved the major) if he had got this one.  I worked out he was scoring 7 points in total unless I could get all the way over to the RHS objective And I was scoring a max of 6 with the other 2.  I either had to shoot him off of it or get my riggers and wardens in.  Thunderers took care of the brutes remaining, and I made 2 charges with my Navigator and Khemist onto his chanter (which got me the middle objective).  Luckily my grapples came through and I was able to charge his 10 Ardboys with both the Riggers and wardens.  I wiped them out to score that one as well.

Adam had a chanter and shaman left, foot of gork was attempted and failed.

Score 5-5 all square.

I got priority turn 5 and killed his last 2 characters.

Final score 8-5 to me

Result Major Victory

Conclusions, the double buff is great for my list as I have a mix of stuff.  Because I wont double stack this works OK, I can leave a Khemist behind to buff the skyhooks, and 1 in the boat for a Thunderer/Fighty unit.  I missed the zifflin hero phase move in this scenario, but its a tricky one anyways.  Never got to double battleshock anything, as Adam's list doesn't do that very much.

Adam winning priority turn 3 or 4 would have been very different, he would still have been ahead in position as well as points. and even late game, without the grapples I was up against it.  Those things are really key to the army I think, giving you the manouverability options.

Urbaz is feeling more helpful, but only 1 game in so hard to tell for sure.  Another game vs Rich Morley and his death Saturday night, as he preps for heat 3.  Can they finally score the win vs the Overlords?

This is a great thread, thanks a lot for writing all this stuff! I'm playing a varied Kharadron list as well so this is really informative!

I've probably went back and read a bit more than half of all your reports and you don't seem to stack the khemist buffs on one unit only.  I don't either as it feels a bit spammy and rule abusive. People have mentioned a possible nerf regarding that rule so i go with that rumour.

Game 29 vs @Drakira

Scenario Take and Hold

So could Rich take on the Overlords and win at the third attempt?  We played take and hold, as he wanted to practice for heat 3 and this was the scenario we play least at club.

His list was

Lord on ZD (5+ death save) General

Coven Throne (cloak)

Isabella

Manfred

4x5 blood knights

I deployed reasonably deep, but put my Ironclad in the front as I didn;t think teh throne could kill it turn 1,  Arkanaughts quite far back 20-10-10. Khemist and navigator also deployed.  The rest in the Ironclad.

I gave Rich the turn and this time he was more cautious, he didn't take the bait with the Throne, and just moved up with 2 units of Knights, and his general behind them.

My turn I drpped off the Thunderers and all the rest of the Ironclad. Buffed 20 and 10 Arkanaughts, Thunderers and Riggers.  Shooting took 9 wounds off the ZD, I rolled very poor D3's and he made 1 round of 7/7 5 up saves!  Thunderers took out 1 unit of bood knights.  I failed a saw grapple though so had to send my Wardens in to pin the General and Knights so he couldnt; charge if he won priority.

Which he did.  Healed his Lord 5 wounds, (had to use Throne reroll though).  Retreated him back, Throne cloaked and setup charge at my thunderers, while the 5 locked Knights retreated, straight towards me!.  He charged 1 of the 2 units he had in reserve at the remaining wardens.  Throne killed Thunderers, and Knights killed Wardens.  1 unit of knights lurked on his objective.

My go, I buffed saws/combat attack on Endrinmaster, and 2 units with Skyhooks (20,10).  I pushed the boat towards the unit he killed the wardens with, moved the Riggers back to fight the Throne, and shot off his 5 knights that were pushed at me.  Endrinmaster and boat hit the knights, tagging them up so he couldn't charge.

Throne went down to combat from Riggers.

Turn 3 I won and got a double, I shot off Manfred and the knights in combat with Endrinmaster and Ironclad, but everything else was out of range. 

He then counter charged with his knights and dragon, taking out knights leaving Ironclad on 1 wound.  He had to designate attacks from dragon to kill the ironclad, so riggers heavily wounded the dragon. My Endrinmaster went beserk doing 6 wounds and weakening the knights. 

Turn 4 He won priority, but only had Lord on 2 wounds, Isabella and 3 knights left  He did a wound to the endrinmaster, and took a few in return, dragon killed remaining riggers.

My go I shot off the knights,  and boss but had nothing left with which to take his objective, Isabella was hiding behind a building nearby.  

Rich knowing I couldn't get his objective and it being practice for heat 3 went for some cheeky VP last turn, but failed his charge.  Skyhooks took care of Isabella to end the game

Result: Minor Victory

I call this scenario Bore Draw, as its so tough to get a decisive victory.  Double buff is good with my list.  I missed the Hero phase move a bit, but not too much.  Earbuster did nothing as he is nearly impossible to battleshock.  Felt Rich needed to push all at me here and make me fight on my objective, or sit back and go for late game minor on VP. 

Def think Urbaz might hav emor emileage with my list than Ziflin, as I run a mix of units rather that can benefit.

Interesting Q, I buffed the Endrinmasters Combat weapon and Shooting attack at one point, as I had a spare buff from the 'double' (it was 1 buff from each of the khemists, not 2 from 1 in case people ask)  We discussedit and didn't feel it was 'double stacking' as it was 2 different weapns?  What are peoples thought on that one.

19 hours ago, Paul Buckler said:

Interesting Q, I buffed the Endrinmasters Combat weapon and Shooting attack at one point, as I had a spare buff from the 'double' (it was 1 buff from each of the khemists, not 2 from 1 in case people ask)  We discussedit and didn't feel it was 'double stacking' as it was 2 different weapns?  What are peoples thought on that one.

Seems fair to me. Double stacking feels a bit un-gentlemanly but this feels fair. 

What are your thoughts on Wardens vs Riggers?

Looking at the warscrolls I dont really see a reason to take the wardens but I see most people taking at least a unit of them so I know I must be missing something.  I'm doing a pretty slow build up and have the riggers in my 1000 pt list and basically use them as a shock cavalry unit what role do the wardens fill for you?

What are your thoughts on Wardens vs Riggers?
Looking at the warscrolls I dont really see a reason to take the wardens but I see most people taking at least a unit of them so I know I must be missing something.  I'm doing a pretty slow build up and have the riggers in my 1000 pt list and basically use them as a shock cavalry unit what role do the wardens fill for you?

They fulfill totally different roles, in my list it's just because I like the variety of models. But other reasons are a longer reach, and extra attacks.

The wardens make a great screen vs say a Sayl/letterbomb with the letters all being flyers, the wardens can cause a fair few mortal wounds if charged.

The extra attacks are better vs low armour targets, as the -1/-2 rend difference is immaterial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes sense.  Thanks for the insight, Wardens are/were going to be my next purchase as its the only unit I dont have yet.

Excellent battle reports by the way, my list was pretty heavily inspired by your WHTV game as well so thanks for that too. :)

Game 30 vs @Cowboy Boots Matt

Scenario Border War

Matt was running Blades of Khorne, the list was Skarbrand, Jugger lord, 2xSlaughterpriest, Stoker, Sectrator  3x10 blood warriors, 20 letters, 5 Skullreapers and 2 Khorgaraths.

Deployment

He put 10 warriors on left and right flank, 10 centrally.  20 Letters on Left flank.  Skarbrand, Characters and Skullreapers hanging back in centre. Khorgarath on each flank.

I went 10-20-10 again, with arkanaughts.  khemist in centre along with navigatior.  Boat on LH flank, in front of 10 arkanaughts.

I gave Matt turn 1 he moved up with everything, and claimed both flank objectives.  Planted banner and made sure all units were within range.

Turn 1 I popped thunderers out of boat, within range of Letters.  I popped everything else out as well and buffed them plus the riggers saws.  Centrally buffed 2 units skyhooks.

Shot off the Bloodletters and warriors on the LH flank, and most of the warriors on Right.  Riggers charged the Khorgarath and killed it.  Crucially I got a grapple off and got my wardens onto his objective.  As most things had pushed I controlled it

Score turn 1 - 7-5 to Me

I got priority turn 2, which was really crucial tbh, I was gonna score at least 7 and shoot most of Matts army off.  He called it there (This had absolutely nothing to do with us wanting to play 40K honestly!)

Result Major Victory

Conclusions, blades are a good matchup if they have no shooting.  They have to come to me, and if I postion right I will get at least 2 rounds of telling shooting in.  Blood tithe is good but doesn't help hugely as I have no magic to stop.  Urbaz double buff seems to be better for my list 2 games in, only time will tell if thats true. 

Love all the battle reports and your insight, it is very helpful!  I too like Urbaz a lot as their ability to once/battle pile-in or shoot with a unit within 3" of an enemy unit can be very useful for polishing off a unit/hero for the subsequent turn!

Caught up on this thread - very nice stuff. Can't believe how fast you painted your stuff, and to such a great standard! I just about finished my Arkanauts to an acceptable standard last night, although I did have a lot of stuff on recently. Nice to see them wreckin' the gaff, but I don't think I'll be putting out for 10 Cannons any time soon!

Archived