Uses for the Squig Gobba?

The Traitor

So, I love the Squig Gobba model from FW, it is one of my favourite model ideas ever, and was thinking about sculpting one... or an army centered around them, eventually, so I downloaded their rules to see how they worked and, at first sight, I discovered that they simply don't, they seem to be a horrible unit to take. However I might have missed something and there isn't too much about them on the internet (and in the few places that talk about them they also regard him as lacklustre and a bad choice). However there are a lot of creative minds on this forum who may come up with something, so I thought that it was worth to post. 

I don't know that much about AoS yet, but I made a pros and cons list about him:

PROS:

- He's dirty cheap at 60 points

- He doesn't count against your artillery limit as he doesn't have the artillery keyword

- The two first pros mean that he can be spammed (to the point of bringing 10 at 600 points)

- You can't snipe his crew because they all count as a single model

- Having FW rules people might be scared about him or don't expect what he can do

CONS:

- He has a 4d6 range... wich is an average of 14"... definitely bad for artillery

- He can't move and shoot in the same turn

- The two first cons means that he will have big problems to shoot things, and can easily be outmanoeuvred

- His shooting profile isn't even impressive, with only d3 attacks which hit on 5+, wound on 4+, have no rend and make d3 damage

- He is very easy to kill with only 5 wounds and saving on 6s

So, can anyone think of a good reason to field them, they might be cheap and spamable, but that's worth nothing if they don't bring something to the army.

Edit: they actually do count towards the Artillery limit, so they're not even spamable...

Sorry, I really think you're out of luck here. The rules for the Gobba are simply awful, and I really don't see any reason to field them if you want to have a chance. You could get away with fielding one because you like the model, but any more than that and you're really shooting yourself in the foot.

It is unfortunately just a terrible warscroll. Even for 60 points it's not worth bringing around. Most people resort to proxying them as Doom Divers.

As well, it does count toward artillery - confusingly, Matched Play restrictions aren't based on keywords but the GHB profile. Similarly, for FW models the rules can be found here.

4 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I'd say you loving the model is reason enough to take it and 60pts ain't very many so I'd take one or two just for fun, unless you're playing at the very top end in the big tournaments it isn't going to cause you problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, this is true as well. I'm sure if you doubledown on four of them, one of them will end up doing damage! It's very thematic for NGs as well.

Thanks to everyone for your replies, them counting towards your artillery allowance has completely killed the unit for me, what a shame, I hope they get reworked one day... But they can't compete with Spear chukkas and Goblin throwers for those precious artillery slots, they might be cool, but other grot machines are also hilarious and I have no problem at taking them. However I'll probably sculpt one one day just for fun.

Thanks for your opinions, I see there's some support for the Squig Gobba out there at least! :P. Though I would like a lot for FW to change his rules I see it as very unlikely, he's a model from Fantasy and probably won't see a return to AoS (though FW could have all my money if it did). 

However it is not that big deal, Doom Divers are also a cool concept and Spear Chukkas could be cool, everything grow can be awesome if done right!

Thanks for your opinions, I see there's some support for the Squig Gobba out there at least! [emoji14]. Though I would like a lot for FW to change his rules I see it as very unlikely, he's a model from Fantasy and probably won't see a return to AoS (though FW could have all my money if it did). 
However it is not that big deal, Doom Divers are also a cool concept and Spear Chukkas could be cool, everything grow can be awesome if done right!

I really wish they could rewrite the rules. I think something like this happened for some Khorne big ****** lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right then. Challenge accepted. I have some money on one side for a silly project, so...... Double Squig Gobba it is.

Look out for them at a tourney later in the year. Their mission, should they accept it is to kill each of the following in a single Tournament:
A unit,
A hero,
A monster,

If anyone has one for sale, let me know, otherwise it's £48 each from FW

• 1 year later...

With the recent buff, the Squig Gobbla seems to be a decent Artillery unit. with its good amount of shots and it bonus against mobs but no rend it seems to be better against low armor horde squad compare to the Gob lobber or Spear chukka.

Don't rule out it's melee attacks.  Now that it does not have to remain still you can continually advance it forward while firing and then charge it into combat.  It is not fast, but it has a mean bite.  I expect that someone out there will either be on the receiving end of a Squig Gobba charge, or will charge some chaff into it thinking there will be an easy kill for an artillery piece and then be surprised when it swallows a bunch of guys.

20 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Don't rule out it's melee attacks.  Now that it does not have to remain still you can continually advance it forward while firing and then charge it into combat.  It is not fast, but it has a mean bite.  I expect that someone out there will either be on the receiving end of a Squig Gobba charge, or will charge some chaff into it thinking there will be an easy kill for an artillery piece and then be surprised when it swallows a bunch of guys.

Hmm Carnivorous Maw: 3 attacks +3 to Hit +3 to wound Rend 2 D3 damage

Damn that actually pretty good 

It is also worth noting that it is much tougher to kill than Gitmob artillery.  There are a few ways out there to drop some mortal wound bombs on traditional artillery that simply vaporizes crew.  Gitmob artillery is quite susceptible to this tactic (but they are still great artillery).

The grot herders are incorporated into the full profile and so to kill the Squig Gobba you have to chew through all 8 wounds.

I was already a big fan of this guy because 1: he is a squig and all squigs are amazing, and 2: the model is fantastic, but the more I read this new profile the more I really like it.

3 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

It is also worth noting that it is much tougher to kill than Gitmob artillery.  There are a few ways out there to drop some mortal wound bombs on traditional artillery that simply vaporizes crew.  Gitmob artillery is quite susceptible to this tactic (but they are still great artillery).

The grot herders are incorporated into the full profile and so to kill the Squig Gobba you have to chew through all 8 wounds.

I was already a big fan of this guy because 1: he is a squig and all squigs are amazing, and 2: the model is fantastic, but the more I read this new profile the more I really like it.

I agree, I hope gw expand on the concept of squigs as artillery 

Archived