Next project.

Ben

Once I finish painting my new Bull Centaur and Warhammer Quest box I'll be looking for a new project.  

At the moment I'm torn between a few different things. 

1. Rebase my Aelfs. 

Some of the Dark Elf factions are really cool. I've been unsure on rebasing for a while but now the Orger Grand Allinace book is out the bases sizes are confirmed for the existing range.  

Ive not got much painting to do here, just rebasing  

2. Death

i have around 300 assembled but unpainted models to go at.  I could really do with getting these finished  

3. Something new  

I guess this will be the most popular idea. I really fancy Fyreslayers at the mo or I could just leap on whatever come out next and just get a load of new toys.

too many options!!!!

Sylvaneth. Pics of the models are apparently in the new generals handbook so it is safe to assume they will be coming out in the next few weeks. You could start with some Dryads and treelords now and add the new stuff when it comes.

I'll give my vote to either Death or Aelfs. Compared to a new army, it's a smaller project. And it clears your backlog a little, which always feels good. Then you can throw yourself into the arms of the Fyreslayers with a "new" army and a good conscience ;)

I'm super excited by the new Aelfs, but I wouldn't touch them until I've seen some of the new Aelf factions getting some battletomes.

I still have a tonne of Khorne Bloodbound to paint, but I'm eyeing a Death Army next. As I can build a complete army, with 2 of each of the Start Sets, Nagash and some extra Skeletons and Morghasts... Seems pretty cheap army to me.

But then, I may get hooked on the new Sylvaneth that appear to be coming soon. New Treemen, and some Fey Aelf, plus Alarielle riding a giant beetle?!!? Sounds amazing!

56 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Sylvaneth. Pics of the models are apparently in the new generals handbook so it is safe to assume they will be coming out in the next few weeks. You could start with some Dryads and treelords now and add the new stuff when it comes.

Any hints on what models are there, so far we can assume:

- Allarielle on big beetle

- Aelf/Dryad combo creature

Anything more?

2 minutes ago, Malin said:

Any hints on what models are there, so far we can assume:

- Allarielle on big beetle

- Aelf/Dryad combo creature

Anything more?

New Treemen, The size between Dryads and Tree Ancients 

3 minutes ago, Bowlzee said:

New Treemen, The size between Dryads and Tree Ancients 

One last question then :) since all new woodsies stuff is in the book, question is, are there any pictures there of the models from the Silver Tower? If yes, are those pictures of the exact models from the game or maybe of new models from boxed sets of Tzaangors or Acolytes?

Well Im buying chaos this weekend.

Instead of getting a chaos lord on manticore I will buy the box set with book and convert the chariot dude with sword and shield and use Archaon on foot rules for him.

Add a second box of chaos warriors and I need to check rules so I can use the chariot beasts as monsters.

Any suggestions?

Ben, i recon you should jump on the Fyreslayers. Not seen many at the recent events i have been at, but they have some cool options.
Lots of new models, a book of their own and you never know they might get some more releases in the future.

You are in a nice position Ben, you have a painted army that you can use at events etc and not have to worry about finishing anything for a deadline. This is the first hurdle many tournament gamers need to get over (I'll avoid a dig at the previous poster here...love you Rick :P).

From there I think you are free to just switch between your various projects as and when you are motivated to do so without any pressure. Its kinda where I am after accepting that I am basically doing all 4 Grand Alliances!

I too have considered rebasing all my Dark Aelves, but think I would rather wait until they are re-released. That's not necessarily a reason not to though as lets be honest, we're not going to be using them in a square based game now are we.

Death are a nice choice and maybe could be a project that you can knock out quicker to give you more variety for tournament play.

Something new? Hell yeh...as mentioned by Ricky, Fyreslayers are a nice choice as we don't see many about. You could also perhaps do them in such as way they could integrate with your Legion aesthetically or something (I know they are different GA's, but whatever!).

So in summary, why tie yourself down to a single project? I wouldn't have taken this stance for WFB, but I think for AoS its fun to work on a bunch of different things, all progress is positive and it seems easier to get a useable force finished and on the table.

Be sure to share your progress whatever you choose!

I agree with Chris. Looking at your list, you have two things from the Order Grand Alliance, so you could potter around with things from that Alliance ;)

This lets you play around with Fyreslayers who are working with your Aelfs for example ;)

Just realized that Archaon on foot rules are probably not official. Its basically him without the horse.

Cant seem to find any official warcroll for him. 

Maybe ill use Crom the Conqueror rules 

yeah, I have been tempted by the Sylvaneth from the get go and with the look of those new models coming out... I might just have to add a few to my Order army. At the moment though I have 51 models from Silver Tower to paint, a bunch of Stormcast and still a good chunk of things to paint for my Tomb Kings. I think I need to take a paint-cation.

I'm similarly drifting for my next project.  So far I've had the golden touch of TK and Duardin both of whom got gutted by the Grand Alliance books for events who limit to just those and it stalled me going forward as I waited on the destruction book to see what came of that.

In the meantime I've been working on various other games so not in any desperate rush to get going on anything but I'm very tempted to go with the destruction force due to the majority of the monsterous Arcanum book sitting in that Alliance.

Options are:

1. Grow out my order forces - I've got most of the 'goodies' from the Old World on squares I could transfer over plus stacks and stacks of Freepeople (Empire) in boxes.  Just means I'd not be hitting any of the new shinies in stormcasts/fireslayers.

2. Rebase all my Chaos - Skaven and Daemons would be the core of any force I would build and again I'd have these on squares. Need to add a few new things to this to round out my options but not huge amounts required.

3. Destruction - Whilst I do have an old O&G army actually what I quite fancy is just doing a monster mash list.  The Giants formation in particular tickles my fancy and I've already got 3 giants with a couple more I can pick up through the Mierce kickstarter that just finished I'd have the models I needed. As currently listed that's 60 pool choices (inc the formation cost).  I'd be tempted to add more massive monsters to that to bring me up to 100-150 and just have a monster mash army (only I think under SCGT I'd have to take a hero as the giant doesn't gain that keyword until after setup).  A maw crusher would be the 'of the moment' option or could do 2 of them taking one as Gordak for a very simple 40 pools! 7 Model army anyone?!  If I could work round the extra hero requirement then I'd be tempted with a magma dragon and colossal squig for the other 40 pools!

On looking at the list I've realised I'm not really swithering on my project, it's gotta be the monster mash list, that's very 'me' of the last few years.  Now I just need to pick the models I want.

Ben - I'd say go with the death stuff.  As much as you're known as a DE player I feel they're old news for you under AoS and a new direction is the way forward.

Archived