This is my 2000 points list:

Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)

- General
- Command Trait : Ruler of the Night
- Artefact : Cursed Book
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (400)
- Artefact : Tomb Blade
Varghulf Courtier (160)

UNITS
3 x Crypt Flayers (160)

6 x Crypt Horrors (280)

6 x Crypt Horrors (280)

6 x Crypt Horrors (280)

30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)

BATTALIONS
Royal Mordants (20)

I've been enjoying the FEC's. I tend to run a horror heavy list because I wanted a change from my other army at the time, a Gor horde beastmen list. I mostly play matched play and found they do pretty well in the local GW, where I do most of my gaming. There are a few things I would like added or changed to the army. For one, I'd love some command abilities I could use in matched play, or even an ability at all for my courtier general. Also it would be good if horrors just got battle line, instead of having to use the courtier as my general first. It makes my Zombie dragon riding ghoul king very sad to be second in command :P

As for how I play this army. The horrors are great, with the ability from two of my heros to bring back models and the death saves they tend to survive well and with the ghoul king, and his spell if it gets off, they are rerolling to hit and wound. The ghoul are kind of my surprise, at first I only had them because they came in the big "Ghoulish host" box that I started with but they have done really well, if that's just them getting lucky or not I cant say. The formation, is only there for the extra item. I had 20 spare points and it fit.

Aside from how they play though I really love the story behind these guys!

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently wrote a up a new 2.5K List, with ghoul patrol included now as I realised with some games i may need to overwhelm with numbers, so this list is about slowing my opponent down and hitting them hard from the front from deadwatch. The Infernal is my general due to he makes flayers battleline so I don't have a crypt ghoul unit being placed at deployment and they all can come from the side. However is 2 x 20 man units and 1 x 10 man unit strong enough to slow down my enemy? or should i do one unit of 30 and 2 x 10 man units? I never wanted to run ghoul patrol but I feel with a mix of what i have placed in this list its quite powerful and a good complement to Deadwatch. Alot happening in the hero phase with this list. TAKE THAT TZEENTCH FEC CAN TAKE LONG HERO PHASES TO! :D

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist(400)
- Artefact: Cloak of Mists and Shadows
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon(400)
- Artefact: Tomb Blade
Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)
Crypt Infernal Courtier (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Cursed Book

Battleline
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
3 x Crypt Flayers (160)
3 x Crypt Flayers (160)
3 x Crypt Flayers (160)

Battalions
Ghoul Patrol (100)
Deadwatch (160)

Total: 2500/2500

• 3 months later...

Thought i would bump this thread up due to FEC got abilities. Get a disccusion going and help out with list building for people who are struggling to make their lists work with the new points and understanding what abilities and artefacts they should take. Im no pro however i have played enough sigma that i know what is a good combination for an overall build and understanding that the new meta will be large unit numbers. 

I reckon they are super powerful as a death army alone. With some of the abilities can make the army more durable and make them hit hard at the same time or one of the other. 

Here is my new Amended list: 

Allegiance: FEC

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Completely Delusional 
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Blood River Chalice 
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- Artefact: The Grim Garland 
Abhorrant Ghoul King (120)

Battleline
9 x Crypt Flayers (480)
- Flesh Eater Courts Battleline (Crypt Infernal Courtier General)
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
3 x Crypt Flayers (160)

Battalions
Deadwatch (210)

Total: 1990/2000

Why the following? 

Ghoul king on foot = Cheap hero wizard and black hunger make flayers super scary now with double and maybe triple pile in with new abilities. 
GK on TG = Spell to make things more durable and also with the -2 Bravery and his shooting attack makes it a lethal combo. 
Vargul with Chalice instead of TG and my Infernal = Due to he has 8 wounds unlike the Infernal only has 6, so healing D6 is more worthwhile for the vargul as it does stay alive longer and with this artefact makes him even better, even though he does heal D3 when he slays something in combat. 

Units of 9, 6, 3. Instead of running 3 x units of 6 flayers, running one unit of 9 are clearly going to be hard to shift for my opponent and are going to hit hard. While the 6 will also hit hard and will give back up. Now the 3 man unit is there to hold objectives as the new Generals Handbook makes units now stay back with objectives instead of tag and go. So instead of wasting 360 points on a 6 man unit holding an objective. I would rather a 3 man holding on objective while the rest of the force goes out and hits hard. This is how i amended my lit with the new points for a GK on ZD and the battalion being 210. I still make it work and still a  low Drop Army so i will most likely deciding who goes first. Also this will wreck the new META which will be hordes who generally don't have great bravery. So the terrorgheist with the artefact is going to hit hard wit its scream and also going to make my enemies battle shock a lot worse. Also the scream on the flayers can also do something now with that artefact near by. 

Running my infernal as completely delusional is there for flexibility instead of Dark Wizardry one as i could just fit in a GK on foot or if i want to i could add in a necromancer. With being able to change the delusion for the army will make the army be versatile for game changing situations. E.g Stardrake got pushed forward on enemy lines towards you, so you change to an offensive delusion against monsters. Or if your heros are going to be in a sticky situation then grand tournament next turn would make them hit hard back for each other. So thats why that is there for my list. 

I've already had one game with this list and I was happy how it turned out. The only thing i got to get use to is to be 6" within my hero for death save instead of 10" as its now a habit. However I will let you guys know how this list goes in a team tournament setting. However i feel it will do well as its a list no one will see much of and when people realise what it does i reckon it will be hard for them or to late to find a way to make it what it does...which is hit hard and stay durable. 

Really I think it's either going to be gimmicky Deadwatch lists like yours above, or some variation of three units of 30 ghouls (I think 40 isn't worth it IMHO), King on Terrorgheist, Flayers (I think Horrors now took a nosedive; still don't get why they got a points increase as they weren't that good before, just roadblocks basically with a crappy save and no Rend), and then with the points you save by NOT taking 40 ghouls, taking Ghoul Patrol or an allied Necromancer.  So basically a duobuild army and that's all that's going to be worth a damn.

I have only run the Flayers in units of 6.  My main concern with a unit of 9 is getting all the attacks in. I many times struggle to get 6 Flayers piled in, especially in big combats.  9 would absolutely be hard to deal with, but I worry about wasted attacks.

Also what are your guys thoughts on the -2 Bravery artifact.  Is it worth it?  Against some armies it could make the Terrorgheist and Flayer Screams really good.  Against others, not so much.  Maybe a little inconsistent but I like the idea of it.  

10 hours ago, Okami said:

Thought i would bump this thread up due to FEC got abilities. Get a disccusion going and help out with list building for people who are struggling to make their lists work with the new points and understanding what abilities and artefacts they should take. Im no pro however i have played enough sigma that i know what is a good combination for an overall build and understanding that the new meta will be large unit numbers. 

I reckon they are super powerful as a death army alone. With some of the abilities can make the army more durable and make them hit hard at the same time or one of the other. 

Here is my new Amended list: 

Allegiance: FEC

Leaders
- General
Varghulf Courtier (160)

Battleline
9 x Crypt Flayers (480)
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
3 x Crypt Flayers (160)

Battalions
Deadwatch (210)

Why the following? 

Ghoul king on foot = Cheap hero wizard and black hunger make flayers super scary now with double and maybe triple pile in with new abilities. 
GK on TG = Spell to make things more durable and also with the -2 Bravery and his shooting attack makes it a lethal combo. 
Vargul with Chalice instead of TG and my Infernal = Due to he has 8 wounds unlike the Infernal only has 6, so healing D6 is more worthwhile for the vargul as it does stay alive longer and with this artefact makes him even better, even though he does heal D3 when he slays something in combat. 

Units of 9, 6, 3. Instead of running 3 x units of 6 flayers, running one unit of 9 are clearly going to be hard to shift for my opponent and are going to hit hard. While the 6 will also hit hard and will give back up. Now the 3 man unit is there to hold objectives as the new Generals Handbook makes units now stay back with objectives instead of tag and go. So instead of wasting 360 points on a 6 man unit holding an objective. I would rather a 3 man holding on objective while the rest of the force goes out and hits hard. This is how i amended my lit with the new points for a GK on ZD and the battalion being 210. I still make it work and still a  low Drop Army so i will most likely deciding who goes first. Also this will wreck the new META which will be hordes who generally don't have great bravery. So the terrorgheist with the artefact is going to hit hard wit its scream and also going to make my enemies battle shock a lot worse. Also the scream on the flayers can also do something now with that artefact near by. 

Running my infernal as completely delusional is there for flexibility instead of Dark Wizardry one as i could just fit in a GK on foot or if i want to i could add in a necromancer. With being able to change the delusion for the army will make the army be versatile for game changing situations. E.g Stardrake got pushed forward on enemy lines towards you, so you change to an offensive delusion against monsters. Or if your heros are going to be in a sticky situation then grand tournament next turn would make them hit hard back for each other. So thats why that is there for my list. 

I've already had one game with this list and I was happy how it turned out. The only thing i got to get use to is to be 6" within my hero for death save instead of 10" as its now a habit. However I will let you guys know how this list goes in a team tournament setting. However i feel it will do well as its a list no one will see much of and when people realise what it does i reckon it will be hard for them or to late to find a way to make it what it does...which is hit hard and stay durable. 

This is pretty much what I was thinking (except I went 3 units of 6). At 2.5k I will add in 2 allied Mortis Engines and 10 ghouls.

5 hours ago, bonzai said:

This is pretty much what I was thinking (except I went 3 units of 6). At 2.5k I will add in 2 allied Mortis Engines and 10 ghouls.

I use to run 3 units of 6, however I don't want to waste 320 points on a unit to hold an objective when you could push the other 15 forward and make your opponent turned through wounds to get to the objective that you 3 man is just holding. As there are some scenarios where it isn't tag and go. 

20 hours ago, Bademeister said:

I would go 3 Units of 6 Flayer, when you go the upper List.

If you switch the GK on Foot for a necormance i would go 3,6,9 and Buff the Unit of 9 Flayers with Danse Macabre.

Yeah im converting a necromancer, as I thought about it first when the Allies leak game through. However i didn't want to play like that. Yet the more and more peopel keep telling me to add him in. I thought at least convert one up and be proud of it and play with it and see how i go. 

3 x unit of 6 will be a waste as one unit of 6 always has to stay back Thats why theres 3,6,9. :) But its early stages of handbook and playtesting has to be done. 

Im thinking of going a Royal Menagerie/Ghoul Patrol T1 charge army. Not bought anything yet but would like some opinions.

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- General
- Command Trait : Completely Delusional
- Artefact : Blood River Chalice
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (440)
- Artefact : The Flayed Pennant
Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)
- Artefact : The Grim Garland
Units
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
Behemoths
Terrorgheist (300)
Battalions
Royal Menagerie (110)
Ghoul Patrol (150)
Total: 1980/ 2000 Points

15 minutes ago, divinemadman said:

Im thinking of going a Royal Menagerie/Ghoul Patrol T1 charge army. Not bought anything yet but would like some opinions.

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- General
- Command Trait : Completely Delusional
- Artefact : Blood River Chalice
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (440)
- Artefact : The Flayed Pennant
Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)
- Artefact : The Grim Garland
Units
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
Behemoths
Terrorgheist (300)
Battalions
Royal Menagerie (110)
Ghoul Patrol (150)
Total: 1980/ 2000 Points

You know it got FAQ that the Royal Menagerie is only VANILLA terrorgheists and Zombie dragons? So that list is technically illegal. 

I would take that out of the list then and add more ghouls and max out those units. :)

1 hour ago, Okami said:

You know it got FAQ that the Royal Menagerie is only VANILLA terrorgheists and Zombie dragons? So that list is technically illegal. 

I would take that out of the list then and add more ghouls and max out those units. :)

Can you point me in the right direction? I read that it was the other way round.

17 minutes ago, divinemadman said:

Can you point me in the right direction? I read that it was the other way round.

Here is images to show you how it works. 

Attached here is the FAQ about putting units into battalions:

Here is a link incase you want to read more into it: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/AoS_FAQ_The_Rules_v1.2.pdf

59a8fa8440f54_ScreenShot2017-09-01at4_12_00pm.png.b6c7bfe01be4758fa34d5640e9803f07.png

Now below is what the War Scroll battalion shows:
20160512_163425.jpg.6ed4b7016d350d624845bfedefdd9cb7.jpg

As Terrorghiest and Zombie Dragon are not BOLD the warscroll battalion is referring to the Non Mounted models. Sorry to break the news to you. 

Just now, Okami said:

Here is images to show you how it works. 

Attached here is the FAQ about putting units into battalions:

Here is a link incase you want to read more into it: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/AoS_FAQ_The_Rules_v1.2.pdf

59a8fa8440f54_ScreenShot2017-09-01at4_12_00pm.png.b6c7bfe01be4758fa34d5640e9803f07.png

Now below is what the War Scroll battalion shows:
20160512_163425.jpg.6ed4b7016d350d624845bfedefdd9cb7.jpg

As Terrorghiest and Zombie Dragon are not BOLD the warscroll battalion is referring to the Non Mounted models. Sorry to break the news to you. 

Cheers I did end up finding it I was going on the information in the thread below. Its a shame now I will need to rethink my list.

Could maybe still work as a super elite army with 4 dragons and 30 ghouls haha.

2 minutes ago, divinemadman said:

Cheers I did end up finding it I was going on the information in the thread below. Its a shame now I will need to rethink my list.

Could maybe still work as a super elite army with 4 dragons and 30 ghouls haha.

That thread seems a bit dated now as that thread was written before the first FAQ came out which was in December. 

Let me know if you thought of a different list and more then happy to tweak it and make sure its legal ;) Only thing i can deffs tell you to look into getting one or two Vargulfs. As you can bring back d6 + 6 x 2+ x 3 Ghouls. You can max out 36 Crypt ghouls back if you roll perfectly. 

Hi, first list I post about my ghouls.
I'm planning to add 20 ghouls, but this evening I will try this:

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Dark Wizardry 
Varghulf Courtier (160)

Battleline
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)
- Flesh Eater Courts Battleline (Crypt Haunter Courtier General)

Battalions
King's Ghouls (90)

Total: 1930/2000

So, I'm a bit unsecure about traits and artifacts. I gave dark wizardry to the infernal just to try and double buff with black hunger the unit of flayers or horrors (or even the terrogheist). To have one part of the army independent to the other, I have a second ghoul king,  who sinergyzes well with the varghoulf. Thoughts? Still trying to figure out what is good and what I like about the new things. (grim garlant worth?) 

It will be interesting to follow this discussion and see how the new FEC lists shake out, but my initial impression is that to be competitive our lists have to be tailored specifically to either deal damage quickly or focus primarily on the objectives. With the new scenarios that means going either elite or horde. We can do a pretty good attempt at an elite list, with as many monsters or horrors/ghouls as you can fit in your list. That might mean foregoing an Abhorrent Ghoul King as your general, but without any new command abilities that’s no great sacrifice in my book. A monster list can even get alpha strike potential with the royal menagerie battalion. In my opinion our new allegiance abilities are more suited for this style of play, but it is probably not the most competitive of the two.

One of the greatest inherent strengths of the FEC is the ability to regenerate our troops. With the massive regiment discount and the advantage massive regiments gets in 2/6 battleplans, leaning into our strength is IMO our best chance of being competitive. A hundred to a hundred and twenty ghouls in at least two units of forty, deployed in a teardrop shape back towards as many Crypt Ghasts Courtiers as you can fit in your list will be almost impossible to shift of an objective once it gets there. Throw a Ghoul king on foot in there, along with a Necromancer and a Corpse Cart, while making one of the ghasts your general with the Dark Wizardry trait, and you have three wizards casting Van Hels, Black Hunger, and Mystic Shield with +1 to casting each turn. That leaves room for four Ghasts, meaning that you regenerate on average 20 ghouls each hero phase. If you can use the massive footprint of those units to control the table most opponents will have a hell of a time beating a pure breed regenerate/grind list. That said however, I think the monster list will be a lot more fun to play :D

I’ll be bringing a 21 model flying circus list to a tournament in a couple of weeks. I went on a bit of a drunken ramble about why and how last weekend. You can check it out here: 

It will be fun to see if my impression holds up after the tournament.

I don't think the FEC artifacts are as good as the generic death ones although I do like The Grim Garland, particularly on a Ghoul King on Terrorgheist.  

Has anyone had any success with the Allegiance Ability yet?  It seems to me to be really situational and unlikely to ever work.  As far as I can tell for it to work the following has to happen.

- One of your units must be in combat with two or more enemy units.

- You have to wipe out one of them.

- Then roll a six.

Can't see it happening much although it'll be good if it does.

I think it's good - not OP, but it can work, expecially in some scenarios, like when you alpha strike something or in late game when you kill a hero near a unit.

If I see I can kill something, I'd use the command trait that makes me change my delusion to the one that makes re-rolling 1 for the allegiance.

It may not be as good as others, but that means people are not gonna play against it and when a Terrorgheist rolls the 6...

I don't belive feeding frenzy is that good. as Sutak said before, it won't happen to often. maybe once or twice in a game. If it happens mostly a good part of your unit can't even attack once more, because the modells will be to far away.

I tested the Grim Garland Artifact with a Terorgheist and some Flayers. Liberators and Judicators melt like icecreame in the sun. With a unit of 6 Flayers you do averege 6 Monrtal Wounds! Your TG will do something around 5-6 Mortal Wounds. 

I hit a unit of 24 Leberators with two Units of 6 Flayers each and one Terrorgheist with the Grim Garland. I did 19 Monrtal Wounds on them. Just in the Shooting Phase. That was awesome!

When you want to go for Alpha Strike, take the Flayed Pennant on one of you Crypt Ghast in your Ghoul Patrol.

25 minutes ago, Bademeister said:

I tested the Grim Garland Artifact with a Terorgheist and some Flayers. Liberators and Judicators melt like icecreame in the sun. With a unit of 6 Flayers you do averege 6 Monrtal Wounds! Your TG will do something around 5-6 Mortal Wounds. 

I hit a unit of 24 Leberators with two Units of 6 Flayers each and one Terrorgheist with the Grim Garland. I did 19 Monrtal Wounds on them. Just in the Shooting Phase. That was awesome!

I ran a similar list tonight and agree the bravery debuff is fun times with the Terrorghiest - Flayer two punch.  I also had 80 points in reserve to summon in a Banshee to keep the scream train rolling.  I am not sure the list is super competitive, it seems a little fragile to shooting heavy lists, but it is tons of fun.

5 hours ago, Bademeister said:

When you want to go for Alpha Strike, take the Flayed Pennant on one of you Crypt Ghast in your Ghoul Patrol.

This seems like a go-to combo for FEC now, especially with Crusading Army. 

Ghoul Patrol still seems pretty good, all the other battalions feel a bit expensive for their extremely mediocre benefits bar some gimmick flying circus/monster build.  If you run at least one massive regiment of Ghouls then the patrol is only 10 points more than it used to be, as well. 

After watching that vid I came up with this...

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
Varghulf Courtier (160)
Battleline
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
Behemoths
Terrorgheist (300)
Terrorgheist (300)
Terrorgheist (300)
Battalions
Royal Menagerie (110)

The AGK needs to be the general for the free 6" move . The monsters all fly around together wrecking stuff while the Ghouls babysit objectives and the Varghulf and Ghast are there to babysit the Ghouls

12 hours ago, Malakithe said:

After watching that vid I came up with this...

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
Varghulf Courtier (160)
Battleline
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
Behemoths
Terrorgheist (300)
Terrorgheist (300)
Terrorgheist (300)
Battalions
Royal Menagerie (110)

The AGK needs to be the general for the free 6" move . The monsters all fly around together wrecking stuff while the Ghouls babysit objectives and the Varghulf and Ghast are there to babysit the Ghouls

I like this list. I'm also very grateful to you for pointing out the part about the general having to be a Ghoul King for the Menageri to work, a point I had completely missed. But why go for a Varghulf instead of two Ghast Courtiers for the same price?

Edit: That threw me for a loop. Luckily you gave me time to amend the list for the tournament. 

Archived