Starting to get excited with all the new edition info coming out. The general changes look cool for us, plus probably getting a spell lore in the new magic supplement. Maybe a revamp of the summoning mechanic? Bring on the FEC faction focus!!!!!

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I‘d love to get excited about free summoning, but I guess GKs command abilities will not be affected by this.

but the look out sir rules should help 

let’s see how some of those price tags develope and then it’s dinner time once again...

8 hours ago, Honk said:

I‘d love to get excited about free summoning, but I guess GKs command abilities will not be affected by this.

but the look out sir rules should help 

let’s see how some of those price tags develope and then it’s dinner time once again...

Will be interesting to see what they do.  It seems like with all the emphasis on command points and summoning they will at least have to address the FEC situation.  If they just leave us blowing in the wind, that does not bode well for the army's future.

55 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

If they just leave us blowing in the wind

The look out sir rule alone is almost enough to give me a shimmer of hope at the horizon. Not to rolf-stomp my enemies, but to have fun again.

I don’t mind loosing, I‘m a bad enough general, but having things done to me in some ways... just no fair

but it looks like ghb18 is kicking up quite some dust throughout the rule set, going to be interesting to test the waters

I hope 2e provides an excuse to revisit FEC, release some actual kits for all their heroes, maybe a new varghulf kit, maybe a 2nd edition battle tome with some matched-play-friendly command abilities, revised faction traits and such.  they're one of several AoS battle tomes from back before the designers had worked out what exactly an AoS faction & battle tome should look like that could really use some sprucing up.

I think the new summoning mechanics are good for us, being able to deploy another courtier or three objective grabbing flayers sounds really good.

We will see if we will need some kind of points, other than the command ones...

23 minutes ago, Honk said:

Holy f*<k that really puts FEC back on the board, especially with the command ability spam...

gkozd and gkotg one summoning the courtier, the other placing the unit... 

Yea, I realy want to see what they are doing with this.

Also, with all the other combo-rific actions everyone else is getting we better get at least one way to put a +1 to hit on the Flayers. Command Ability, Spell, Alliance Ability, I don't care I just better get my +5 mortal wound flying corpse bombs. 

On 5/26/2018 at 4:28 AM, TheWilddog said:

Also, with all the other combo-rific actions everyone else is getting we better get at least one way to put a +1 to hit on the Flayers. Command Ability, Spell, Alliance Ability, I don't care I just better get my +5 mortal wound flying corpse bombs. 

Games Workshop tend to specifically not do this.  This is because it basically starts boiling down to - if you take unit X you have to take thing Y because it naturally makes them better. Such obvious synergies within a faction don't really lead to creative list building. So instead the option tends to be there, but you have to look around to find it (Damned terrain, potentially new spell lores, grand alliance armies, etc).

As for the preview. Personally didn't really take anything new away from it, which is a bit of a shame. We already knew that we don't need reinforcement points so suddenly the command abilities on the Ghoul Kings are a bit more worthwhile. Additionally due to removal of command points, you can infer that the Courtiers can raise units beyond their minimum starting size. Lastly, due to the addition of spell lores it makes Kings of all types somewhat more attractive because they are natural spell casters (and hence, will get access to an additional spell).

I think it'll be much more interesting to see points tweaks to the army. If a command point costs approx 50 points, how much should the Ghoul Kings increase by given the fact they get a 'free' unit attached to a command point.

Sadly for me, I don't think this encourages me to expand my collection (Which sits around 1200 points plus a few extra heroes at the moment). The army just isn't that fun to collect past a certain point, as ultimately the army is 3 kits + a vargulf. Only so many times I want to paint the crypt horror bodies with different sets of arms (Which have no posability).

Plus the varghulf is still resin, something that they need to change. I quite like the look of this army, they are in the top 5 i'm considering for the new edition. But the sameyness of the kits..eh, I don't think i'd collect this army past 1000 points, 1500 might be pushing it. The units look really good together on the table, and there is a coherent look to the army, but they really need 2-3 more kits including a plastic varghulf.

3 hours ago, someone2040 said:

As for the preview. Personally didn't really take anything new away from it, which is a bit of a shame. We already knew that we don't need reinforcement points so suddenly the command abilities on the Ghoul Kings are a bit more worthwhile. Additionally due to removal of command points, you can infer that the Courtiers can raise units beyond their minimum starting size. Lastly, due to the addition of spell lores it makes Kings of all types somewhat more attractive because they are natural spell casters (and hence, will get access to an additional spell).

I think a lot's going to depend on the new realm spells, and how eternal spells work. The more the more useful synergies there are with spells, the more attractive it's going to be to take Kings on Foot + Royal Family for the ability to spam wizards and spawn lots of small squads whenever you need to cap an objective quickly etc.

Archived